Wdc

Pallet Fork Jig for re-jeweling

Question

Has anyone ever setup a jig for setting the jewels in a particular pallet fork in order to make the job easier?

Finding NOS Citizen 8110A forks is getting near impossible.  I have just purchased the last of Jules Borel stock of 035-39 PALLET FORK AND ARBOR and I have not been able to find any more NOS (or used) forks. I do have a few 035-39’s in various states of disrepair, mainly needing re-jeweled but getting the jewels set right is a pain in the a**.

Just wondering if anyone’s set up a fork jig, locking it in place, with a stop for the jewels so they are the same length and right position every time without the trouble of putting them in and out of the watch to check before heating and resin?  

If you have any tips or tips on a better way of positioning, I would luv some advice .

I have been following this, anything better? FITTING THE PALLET

Thanks, Will

PS I have not found a video or advice from @Mark

Pallet Fork Jig-0020.jpg

Pallet Fork Jig-002.jpg

Edited by Wdc

7 answers to this question

Could you 3D print a jig? To get the needed tolerances, you would probably need some adjustable non printed components, probably threaded to allow fine adjustment. 

Edited by AndyHull

8 hours ago, rogart63 said:

You have Bergeon 2281 and 2229 . But i think they cost som dollars . There are other tools that are simpler. 

Thanks, rogart63, nice tools and 2281 looks like just what I need, I’ll keep and eye out for a second hand one.

Until I can find the proper tool I am thinking of a jig as follows.

My primary focus is aimed at setting the jewel the right deep in the fork before shellac. Not deep enough, and the escape wheel teeth will not pass the jewel, too deep and it will free-wheel.

As I see it the relative measurement is from pivot to (out-facing) edge of jewel(s). My thought for achieving  this was the following

·         use a plastic base, drill a hole to fit pivot shaft, just over .28mm (firm fit .29-30mm)

·         Using a NOS pallet glue to the base (3) three stops. One for top edge of each jewel, a stop on ether side of fork to lock it into position.

By doing the above I can lock-in the fork, insert each jewel (set at right length). With everything set same as NOS, carefully lift out the fork, moving it to heating plate for shellac.

For the base I will use ether 1/8" white  Acrylic Plexiglass or Canvas Phenolic (which I have an abundance). Care has to be made with the jewel stops making the short, so that when lifting the pallet fork out of the jig it comes out & free, without moving jewel.

Well again I thank all for your input.

Regards, Will

Below is a (very) rough example of what I am thinking.

Pallet Fork Jig Layout-001.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Hello everybody. I lived in Texas 51 years before moving “up north” to Oklahoma last year. One of my passions is fixing things - working on the house, appliances, cars, trucks, motorcycles, lawnmowers, and anything else that needs fixing and I’ve been good at it except when it comes to watches - what a humbling experience. Googling “broken set lever screw 6497” led me down a trail that led to this forum.   For watches: I like just about everything regardless of cost. I have a 1969 Datejust that my grandfather bought new (my watch addiction started there when I was little), and a 1966 Datejust I recently picked up, an Omega AT, a few Seikos, a Vostok, a couple Citizens, an old Bulova, a few Timexes, and a wristwatch-from-pocketwatch conversion with a genuine 6498 movement. Like many of y’all I’m sure, I’ve bought and sold a ton of watches since 1985 and haven’t slowed down.   The embarrassing screw-breaking watch is a Panerai look-alike with an ST36 Chinese copy of a 6497. It’s cheap but I figured it was good to learn on. Water was getting in, and the set lever screw was stuck so I broke it trying to get the stem out. Broke the two stuck movement mounting tab screws also, probably due to the water. Got a new ST36 and broke the same dang set lever screw trying to replace the stem. Can’t blame the water this time. Had no idea a tiny screwdriver could deliver enough torque to break screws. The price of education... I need to enroll in a course and stop red-necking this stuff.   I have plenty ST36 parts if y’all need any -except screws....   Great to be here,   Bobo         Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro  
    • Hi William, Welcome to the forum. Have been to Elvis and Dolly parton show at Grand ole opry.  Carried out research work in the Atomic City.    Glad to have you here with us. Best wishes. Joe
    • To find out if the slot is in the right place, get a piece of wood wide enough to take the movement, use a 3/8th inch bolt and cut a slot in the end to take the suspention spring, drill a hole near the top of the wood and attach the bolt with a nut. hook the pendulum onto the suspention spring, attach the movement to the board where the crutch is at about the middle of the slot on the pendulum, if the movement is working? the clock should work, attach the hands and see if it is keeping time, which I doubt as I think the slot is way to low, anyway now you have this set up you can just move the movement UP or down till you find the right place for the slot. You do not need to cut the slot while trying to find the right place,  just drill a hole a 1/16th of an inch wider than the crutch, you may end up with a few holes however when about in the right place then cut the slot an 1/2 inch above and below the hole, you can fill to holes or just buy a new pendulum stick.
    • I have the Hormec hollow grind sharpener, and a roller sharpener for wedge shape, and a large diamond file. I hate the Hormec and hollow ground blades (like them for clocks and other stuff though, PB Swiss make my old Snap-On stuff look like toys). I sharpen regularly with the diamond file. Wedge shape, not too shallow. I recall Hamilton recommending 15 degrees, I do a little more. Been meaning to sell the Hormec but after loaning it out try-before-buy to several folks they lose interest after actually trying hollow ground. I know one watchmaker who uses mostly hollow ground, but has 3 or 4 sets and is always messing with them. It doesn't really matter as long as the screws (and nearby parts) survive unscathed. When doing final assembly of a new watch with flat polished screws, where each screw gets hand polished on tin, I use a nickel (german silver) blade, which needs dressing every 3 or 4 screws.