Repair Michael Kors Mk3248 Watch

Hi Robin,

did you push the stem all the way in? With the stem out the watch is off. So, stem in all the way and battery in: if nothing else is broken it should work. Otherwise, swap the movement which I believe is about $10.

Hi Geo, we were posting at the same time! :) Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Hey. Yes, the stem is all the way in. The battery works, I tested it...

So there must be something else broken then? Then I would have to order a new movement, like you said.

Hi Robin,

When you put the 'gear cover' back on the first time... did you just put it on and screw it in? Or did you manage to get all the little gears lined up and in their correct holes before tightening? Did you check after fitting the cover that all the gears mesh and spin freely?

I personally find the little gears in quartz watches fiddly in the extreme, especially the magnetised one so it may be one of the gears is not properly fited.

Anil

Hi Robin,

When you put the 'gear cover' back on the first time... did you just put it on and screw it in? Or did you manage to get all the little gears lined up and in their correct holes before tightening? Did you check after fitting the cover that all the gears mesh and spin freely?

I personally find the little gears in quartz watches fiddly in the extreme, especially the magnetised one so it may be one of the gears is not properly fited.

Anil

Thanks for your reply. Everything is correctly placed, all screws etc are also correct. I took pictures when I dis-assembled the watch, so I know how it was and it is exactly the same.

I guess I will just buy a new movement.

Alright, the new movement has arrived.

I wasn't able to purchase the identical model (because I didn't find any), so I purchased VD53 instead of VD53B (which is the "current" movement which doesn't work).

There seemed to be no difference between those models, until now... I have removed the movement from the watch, as well as the pointers. Now I see this:

gxxpehK.jpg

I found a used VD53B on Ebay, and looking at the pictures, it seems like it looks exactly identical to the VD53... Check this:

$_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VD53B-25-95MM-X-29-27MM-0J-MOVEMENT-/321339162636?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad14e800c

Will it be possible to use this movement? If yes, how? It seems like I should be able to take those metal pins off somehow? Or not?

Edited by Robinjoeh

Have you broken the ends off the pinions when removing the hands from your watch? Look very carefully at the small hand to see if the holes in them are clear.

That was actually my guess as well. I'm checking it right now...

However, there's still an issue with the white circle that I made... It's also different in size. It cant be broken?

Edited by Robinjoeh

Seems like you were right, the ends of the pinions are broken. I think I managed to get it off one of the hands, but there is one left and I'm not really able to see if it's there or not.

Would it be a possibility to break the new movement´s pinions if there is a part stuck inside the hand? (or will it automatically "come off" in the other end?)

I don't know if there's a hole through the pin, or if it has a bottom..

Alright, here's an update. I managed to get the broken pinions out of the watch hands... But it seems like it's  very hard to put this 3 hands back on... I didn't have any problem with the "normal" hands..

Anyone got a nice tip for me? I don't want to break the pinions, again....

Check this image:

K9ik9Fh.jpg

I use a piece of Rodico or Blue Tac to lift and position the small hands. Do not press down hard with the Rodico, just touch the hand very lightly to allow the hand to be just lifted. When you position them over the pinions use pegwood or a matchstick to press the hand on taking care to apply pressure vertically without side force.

Before positioning the hands, I usually operate the chronograph then zero it. Bear in mind these pinions are easily rotated.

Others may have better suggestions, but this is how I have done it in the past with Quartz powered Seiko Chronographs.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Edited by Geo

Still trying over here, I think I'm about to give up pretty soon... The hour and minute hands works perfect (date changes exactly when its supposed to change)... But the seconds hand doesn't "fit"... I'm not sure if I'm trying to place it wrong.

Please check the images below and give me some information guys..

futam5X.jpghzjeX0k.jpgqbUJY2Z.jpg1Z9EPFY.jpg

I obviously didn't make myself clear enough, not the way you just tried, but the other way!

Sorry, I have just tried to place it with the tube section pointing down (towards the movement), as it shows on pic 2.

Am I doing it wrong and should instead point it up, like pic 1 shows?

6X76Dg4.jpg

Is there a broken pinion in the hand? If not, I'm out of suggestions.

When you say it doesn't fit, it the pinion too big ? too lose ?

Does the watch run ? does the pinion turn when it runs (hard to see....) ?

I managed to get it on now. Obviously I was using too much force. I'm not used to be very careful when it comes to such things.

The movement is now working great, with 3 of the 6 hands... I have still failed to apply the 3 other hands (not sure what they are called, maybe "timer hands").

Will give it a few hours tomorrow and I really hope I can get this working by then. I have given the 3 "timer hands" a shot with WD40. Lets see what happends over night.

Maybe there's something stuck inside which will be easier to get rid of tomorrow.

However, I'm not very sure about that... They were attached VERY hard to the movement when I removed them. I had to use pretty much force to get them off. My guess is that it won't be easy to get broken pieces out of there.'

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Alright, here we go. I have tried to check the best I could, but honestly, I cannot see if there's anything broken inside or not. The pipe is too small. I need a microscope to check that..

Does anyone here know where I can buy new hands for this watch? I can't find them anywhere. I'm talking about all hands (6) or just the "timer hands" (bottom, left and right hands).

uTz5eiH.jpg

Hello Robin,

I had exactly the same problem with a rotary, I used a hands broaching vice and a very fine needle I nicked from my wife's sewing kit. I had broken the pinions on the small dials by applying too much pressure on one side instead of using a presto style tool which pulls them upwards in a more even fashion. I had to use a microscope just to see to be able to see the pinion stuck in the "pipe" and the very top of the needle. You also run the risk of making the pipe slightly larger if you push the needle too far in and this also happened to me but I manged to slightly crush the pipe with nail clippers and it went back on. If you trace "broken pinion" in help and advice there may be something to help.

I was at one time going to get replacement hands but originals were not to be found, the next best was to purchase the same style from the likes of Cousins. However I was lucky as my scope arrived at that point and I retrieved the broken pinion. You will need the hand size which you can get if you find the PDF for your movement. I will have a look and post it if found.

Cheers,

Vic