Repair Michael Kors Mk3248 Watch

Just catching up on your post about fixing the watch Robin.  Six weeks to repair is rubbish they must be mad.  A whole new movement costs about £17 in the states - probably a bit more over here.  You can find new Miyota VD53B movements on EBay or from uk suppliers.

A repairer would not bother with trying to fix it they would take out the old movement remove the hands and dial and put them on the new movement and put it back in the case. 

I have to say from personal experience that the small hands are hard to work with for a first timer and as George knows, I broke the pinions that hold the small hands on a Miyota (they are really small and thin) and had to get a new movement myself for a Rotary for a relative. But six weeks - I think not.  I bet they were going to hammer you on price as well.

Cheers,

Vic

OK Robin,

It is as I feared I believe you can not get to the bit you are interested in unless you remove the movement from the case remove the hands then remove the dial and you end up looking at the situation in the top picture of the movement I posted.  Removal of the plate shows you what you need to see.  Time to buy a replacement stem.

Unless one of the other lads wants to chip in and make an alternative suggestion.

Vic

OK Robin,

It is as I feared I believe you can not get to the bit you are interested in unless you remove the movement from the case remove the hands then remove the dial and you end up looking at the situation in the top picture of the movement I posted.  Removal of the plate shows you what you need to see.  Time to buy a replacement stem.

Unless one of the other lads wants to chip in and make an alternative suggestion.

Vic

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if there's any video available that shows how to disassemble a watch?

Do I need to do that before purchasing a new stem? Like, can there be different sizes of them?

Is it possible to move the lever just above the green part to allow you to pull out the broken part with a pair of fine tweezers?

Yea, it is possible to press down the "PUSH" button... But how would I be able to get the broken part that is stuck inside? I don't get it.

Yea, it is possible to press down the "PUSH" button... But how would I be able to get the broken part that is stuck inside? I don't get it.

On the assumption that the remaining stem part is held in place, perhaps if you tilt the movement so that the stem hole points vertically downards, and then push the "push" button - the stem bit will be freed and may fall via gravity out of the movement. Worth a try...

Edited by WillFly

On the assumption that the remaining stem part is held in place, perhaps if you tilt the movement so that the stem hole points vertically downards, and then push the "push" button - the stem bit will be freed and may fall via gravity out of the movement. Worth a try...

Have tried that already, gravity does not help :(

Here's a new picture:

fL89TYZ.jpg

I can see the bit you want out now so you may be ok.  gently lift the the metal just behind the green bit and use fine point tweezers to pull out the broken bit of shaft.  The loop of metal that finishes behind the green bit is the part that gets pressed down through the plate to allow stem removal - the "press here" bit  Try not to dislodge the green bit or the crown that engages with the train (inter connected cogs).  The new stem has to go back through them in an identical manner

• Like 1

I don't think so Vic, the lever that holds the stem has been removed. The one you are referring to holds operates the clutch and the stem goes through the middle of the clutch.

Edited by Geo

I don't think so Vic, the lever that holds the stem has been removed. The one you are referring to holds operates the clutch and the stem goes through the middle of the clutch.

You're right.

I have already tried pulling it off with a tweezer... But it doesn't fit in there!!! And the tweezer is super tiny!!

You think it's safe to "lift" it up a bit and try pull it when it is lifted?

I'm starting to think that the stem might be seized inside the clutch and that is how it ended up breaking. If that is the case you will have to take out the clutch complete with the remnant of the stem and tap it out carefully. This will be tricky as you really require a very fine punch to do that.

I think you have a result now Robin.  We can certainly help with sorting out the stem and Crown.

Bye for now - going to have an Abbots Ale.

Cheers,

Vic

Thanks for your help so far, Vic! Enjoy your Abbots Ale.

I'm starting to think that the stem might be seized inside the clutch and that is how it ended up breaking. If that is the case you will have to take out the clutch complete with the remnant of the stem and tap it out carefully. This will be tricky as you really require a very fine punch to do that.

Right. I mean, I don't reach it with a tweezer, so I have no idea how stuck it is in there.. You think I will be safe to lift it up a bit and try pulling it off?

If you can remove the clutch George talked about then lift out the assembly you may need to remove the small cog as well.  Don't think you have any choice but to try.  If the whole lot comes out together and is siezed I would be thinking about putting it in a small container with WD40 for a day or so.

Cheers,

Vic

If you still can't pull it out, you have no option but to remove the lever, clutch and the green bush to tackle the problem.

Well, I don't know if I can pull it out or not, because the tweezer I'm using (got a few differnt), doesn't fit in the little space... I'm thinking of some other tool right now...

Couldn't resist having a final look. 

Can you carefully superglue a bit of wire or anything to it to gain some purchase.  My fine tweezers go down to .5 mil at the end but you cant put that much pressure on them or they will just bend.

Someone will have an idea.

Vic

You have done exceedingly well to get to this point.

The broken part is the metal bit in the green plastic part. Pull it out of the plastic with either your tweeters or a small pair of pliers.

Now for the tricky bit! Once you have removed the part above, you are ready for re-assembly. Pay close attension to your photographs to ensure correct assembly and remember not to force anything. If you carefully reverse the procedure you have just done, you will be ready to fit a new stem. I must add that you may require the new stem to allow you to get correct alignment of the parts you have just removed.

If you take note of the make and model (calibre No.) of the movement, you should be able to purchase a new stem from https://www.cousinsuk.com/

• Similar Content