Let’s hear your super tips for a great workstation!

Tudor

I think lots of people will benefit from this thread, but I have been banished to the basement with my collection of tools and junk.

so, I have a blank slate. The chance to do it right. I have some ideas of my own but I’m keen to hear what works well for you and why. 

Let’s get this rolling!

Edited by Tudor

Well, lighting is top of my wish list. I will Be under a large (for a basement) window, and I am considering angled mirror(s) to reflect light from the high window down onto my work surface. 

In addition, I am hoping for three four-foot LED shop lights- one over head and on on the left and right, long ways, to flood the Work area from three directions. Plus I have my IKEA halogen desk lamp. 

The bench was going to be an older IKEA desk I have in pieces, but the height doesn’t adjust as I thought it did, and I can’t find the hardware to build it again. So that top is going to go on top of some 2x6 lumber (flat) which is on top of an unused dining room table in the basement. So I’ll be about three inches higher than a normal table. I may make a riser out of 2x4’s on edge to give 4-1/4” over table height. I have to see what works. I’m 6-2” so it may go up even higher...

Yes I'm still struggling on a desk that is too low, I have a good stool that goes lower than normal which helps, but a higher desk would be much easier.

If you in a basement how is the ventilation and humidity control?

Ventilation as I am thinking about your cleaning fluids and humidity control so you don't have to worry about rust.

Very few houses in Australia have basements, so its not really an issue I have had to deal with but I have friends in the UK that needed to install dehumidifiers to make his basement suitable as a workshop.

We are fortunate in that we have central air for the house, which dehumidifies the entire house. But, it does not cover the basement... Therefore, I have a dehumidifier running 24-7 down there, as I have my drums in a small room (the "Drumgeon") down there too.

It is always cool, so the dew point is generally not an issue even though relative humidity is a bit higher than I'd like. I also have a pile of exotic wood from my guitar making days that also prefers is moderate and fortunately no issues with growing stuff on any of that.

And I've been sniffing solvents my entire life (model building when younger, industrial work for 30 years and auto repair and restoration in between) so that doesn't bother me. I do have a serious exhaust fan set up in the Drumgeon as it gets quite warm in there, which would pull out any heavy build-up of smells.

as beginner, losing/dropping parts is all too frequent and a royal PITA.  A floor that's easy to spot stuff on, a  bench with groove along the front and pull out cloth tray all help.  My bench also has a glass cover, basically like a large upside down three sided fish tank with the front open.  It minimizes dust settling and has stopped a few parts that go zinging out of a too-firm tweezer grip

Edited by measuretwice

I was actually thinking a frame on the outer edges that could support and old sheet or plastic would be a good idea to keep dust off all surfaces when I'm not working, not just the critical parts in boxes or under covers.

But if I'm working on something "new" to me, I will sometimes use a piece of plastic wrap to control flying parts. When I know something may fly, I try to stick some rodico on it, so the mass is greater and it can fly as far. (if at all).

Some great food for thought! Lets keep the ideas flowing!

I always where an old hardware store Apron I have a grommet at each bottom corner , and two hooks under my bench . When I sit down to work , I hook them up  & there is a nice sling to catch things.

Just don't forget to unhook yourself when you get up to go pee.  :)

20180813_153946_resized.jpg

20180813_154052_resized.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Post some pictures , some good close ones of the parts you've described. 
    • Ive never used epilame H only information i have read and mentally stored about it mostly from Nicklesilver here and elsewhere ( the fork horns thing ), maybe the residue powder that is removed has some grinding effect ? So probably a good idea to limit its application areas to only the absolute necessary. Yes as far as i know epilame rubs off relatively easy, the technique of running the watch to make a groove through it first in the pallet stones where the lubrication is then placed. This i understand creates the barrier for the lube to sit up to. If i can find a good balance of pros and cons of its use then thats one process i can avoid by using a thixotropic lube on the stones. The epilame i would say allows for a more fluid lubrication to be used that would increase amplitude on low beat movements. The stearic acid powder is extremely cheap, the problem is the fuming process to coat parts, is not selective , the whole part has to treated in this method. If epilame residue can cause wear then thats not good, if I remember the conclusion was not proved entirely just a general assumption between watchmakers. The thread is out there somewhere, the same discussion is also old on a facebook group. Ive never used epilame H only information i have read and mentally stored about it mostly from Nicklesilver here and elsewhere ( the fork horns thing ), maybe the residue powder that is removed has some grinding effect ? So probably a good idea to limit its application areas to only the absolute necessary. Yes as far as i know epilame rubs off relatively easy, the technique of running the watch to make a groove through it first in the pallet stones where the lubrication is then placed. This i understand creates the barrier for the lube to sit up to. If i can find a good balance of pros and cons of its use then thats one process i can avoid by using a thixotropic lube on the stones. The epilame i would say allows for a more fluid lubrication to be used that would increase amplitude on low beat movements. The stearic acid powder is extremely cheap, the problem is the fuming process to coat parts, is not selective , the whole part has to treated in this method. If epilame residue can cause wear then thats not good, if I remember the conclusion was not proved entirely just a general assumption between watchmakers. The thread is out there somewhere, the same discussion is also old on a facebook group. If its a potential problem for amateurs to use then i would prefer not to take the risk .
    • Following on from my question about identifying screws in the AS2063 movement that basically fell out of the case in bits, I’m pleased to report that I’ve got it all back together, and the movement is running pretty well.    But… There’s something wrong with the keyless works and hand setting. It’s fine in winding and quickset date position - these work - but in hand setting position winding the crown turns the whole gear train.  I don’t really understand how it’s meant to work. It doesn’t have a traditional friction fit cannon pinion.  The second wheel is unusual with a pair of smaller pinions on it, which seem to interact with the barrel and the motion works.    Could this be the problem? I must admit I just cleaned it and popped it in place when reassembling the gear train. I’ve lubricated the pivots but didn’t do anything to the extra bits on the second wheel.    Does this make sense and is anyone able to figure out what I’m doing wrong? Thanks in advance, as always.    ETA - the parts list calls it the Great Wheel, not second wheel. 
    • You're thinking metal to jewel in general I guess. Maybe it would be a good idea to peg the pallet staff jewel hole on the main plate after the epilame treatment. I think that could work as it is my impression that the epilame doesn't sit very hard, but I could be wrong about that so feel free to educate me. I didn't remember that 9501 was thixotropic (thanks for the link). That would mean it's even runnier during impact (lower viscosity) so perhaps it's time I get some fresh grease as mine seems a bit too runny. What I have seen is a whitish surface after washing but it goes away if I scrub the surface with a brush in a degreaser (Horosolv). I don't think it embeds itself in the metal but sticks very hard to the metal. I don't worry too much about the cleaning solution. I just want perfectly clean parts and my solution can be replaced for little money (ELMA RED 1:9). Anyway, I quite often need "to strip back and rebuild" and scrubbing parts by hand isn't exactly the most stimulating part of a service. Just got confirmation that Moebius 9501 has a lower viscosity (68 cSt at 20° C) than 9504 (305 cSt at 20°). The viscosity of Molykote DX is 285-315 cSt at -25° to +125° C. I was surprised to see that the viscosity of Moebius 9010 (thin oil!) is higher (150 cSt at 20°) than my 9501 grease!
    • I’ve had a couple movements where it is clear the previous watchmaker was diligent with lubrication but the old epilam had turned to a fine white powder covering the pallet fork and keyless parts, which can’t be good for parts. I’m spare with epi since I don’t know how long it takes to degrade to that state…