Let’s hear your super tips for a great workstation!

Tudor

I think lots of people will benefit from this thread, but I have been banished to the basement with my collection of tools and junk.

so, I have a blank slate. The chance to do it right. I have some ideas of my own but I’m keen to hear what works well for you and why. 

Let’s get this rolling!

Edited by Tudor

Well, lighting is top of my wish list. I will Be under a large (for a basement) window, and I am considering angled mirror(s) to reflect light from the high window down onto my work surface. 

In addition, I am hoping for three four-foot LED shop lights- one over head and on on the left and right, long ways, to flood the Work area from three directions. Plus I have my IKEA halogen desk lamp. 

The bench was going to be an older IKEA desk I have in pieces, but the height doesn’t adjust as I thought it did, and I can’t find the hardware to build it again. So that top is going to go on top of some 2x6 lumber (flat) which is on top of an unused dining room table in the basement. So I’ll be about three inches higher than a normal table. I may make a riser out of 2x4’s on edge to give 4-1/4” over table height. I have to see what works. I’m 6-2” so it may go up even higher...

Yes I'm still struggling on a desk that is too low, I have a good stool that goes lower than normal which helps, but a higher desk would be much easier.

If you in a basement how is the ventilation and humidity control?

Ventilation as I am thinking about your cleaning fluids and humidity control so you don't have to worry about rust.

Very few houses in Australia have basements, so its not really an issue I have had to deal with but I have friends in the UK that needed to install dehumidifiers to make his basement suitable as a workshop.

We are fortunate in that we have central air for the house, which dehumidifies the entire house. But, it does not cover the basement... Therefore, I have a dehumidifier running 24-7 down there, as I have my drums in a small room (the "Drumgeon") down there too.

It is always cool, so the dew point is generally not an issue even though relative humidity is a bit higher than I'd like. I also have a pile of exotic wood from my guitar making days that also prefers is moderate and fortunately no issues with growing stuff on any of that.

And I've been sniffing solvents my entire life (model building when younger, industrial work for 30 years and auto repair and restoration in between) so that doesn't bother me. I do have a serious exhaust fan set up in the Drumgeon as it gets quite warm in there, which would pull out any heavy build-up of smells.

as beginner, losing/dropping parts is all too frequent and a royal PITA.  A floor that's easy to spot stuff on, a  bench with groove along the front and pull out cloth tray all help.  My bench also has a glass cover, basically like a large upside down three sided fish tank with the front open.  It minimizes dust settling and has stopped a few parts that go zinging out of a too-firm tweezer grip

Edited by measuretwice

I was actually thinking a frame on the outer edges that could support and old sheet or plastic would be a good idea to keep dust off all surfaces when I'm not working, not just the critical parts in boxes or under covers.

But if I'm working on something "new" to me, I will sometimes use a piece of plastic wrap to control flying parts. When I know something may fly, I try to stick some rodico on it, so the mass is greater and it can fly as far. (if at all).

Some great food for thought! Lets keep the ideas flowing!

I always where an old hardware store Apron I have a grommet at each bottom corner , and two hooks under my bench . When I sit down to work , I hook them up  & there is a nice sling to catch things.

Just don't forget to unhook yourself when you get up to go pee.  :)

20180813_153946_resized.jpg

20180813_154052_resized.jpg