2 hours ago, Marc said:

An oleophilic treatment would actually cause the oil to spread out

2 hours ago, Marc said:

The reason an oleophobic surface prevents spreading

Possibly just me but I'm having a hard time following along.

The same guys also state: "Once parts have been epilamed, the oil droplet remains anchored to the spot" and this is exactly what we're looking for. If epilame was working like a wax-like repellant the droplet wouldn't remain anchored.

EDIT: Just noticed that the word "oleophilic" is different from "oleophobic" which makes it much easier to follow alongĀ šŸ¤£

Edited by VWatchie

Now I'm completely confused, it would appear that theĀ epilameĀ  isĀ oleophobicĀ  as @MarcĀ states:

image.png.fd8ae6e34bfe67692d351dbebbfcfbc6.png

ThisĀ oleophobicĀ  behavior can be seen as beading of the droplet (as above) which stops the oil spreading which is supported by what we observe on treated/untreated cap stones (for example), but as @VWatchieĀ states this should make the drops more mobile and is supported by the literature:

image.thumb.png.e2de799ce2ffecac85c5232c3aaf2d4c.png

Ā 

A review on control of droplet motion based on wettability modulation principles design strategies recent progress and applications.pdf

Ā 

However the whole point is that we have less mobile oil so anĀ oleophobicĀ  would see to be the opposite of what we want. In fact this beading and high mobility are desirable properties in things like smart phone covers, see below.Ā  I am fairly sure thatĀ epilame doesn't make the droplets more mobile, so maybe its a strange coating with dual properties that are both oleophobic (beading) and cohesive/adhesive resulting in low mobility?? This may explain the high price??

Ā 

image.thumb.png.cd3b6096339bd32c63e9a828a469ae9c.png

Edited by Waggy
Added literature
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Waggy said:

Maybe I'm over simplifying this and I'm a little late to the discussion, but just by my looking at oil when I use it on a treated cap jewelĀ  the oil stays in one nice bubble, but when I don't it spreads out to the edges of the jewel.

I'm not sure (but could well be wrong) but the analogy of a waxed car and rain is inaccurate in this case, the wax is very hydrophobic and repels the water, however, the process epilame works by is a different physical process based upon cohesion/adhesion (oleophilic) not repulsion (oleophobic)Ā  at least as far as I have read/observed.

If one were to use a oleophobic substance equivalent to wax (hydrophobic) then one would need to create a donut shape to fence in the oil, however if one used such a strategy with a epilame which isĀ oleophilic then the oil would sit on the ring of the donut and not in the 'donut hole', exactly where you don't want it.

Even if the oil is smeared then theĀ oleophilic epilame should pull it back to the center (see diagram below).

image.thumb.png.5a6393ddade6e492547e6d542376008d.png

Reference

For interest the chemical inĀ epilame is 2-(PERFLUOROHEXYL) ETHYL METHACRYLATE, CAS NO: 2144-53-8

Out of curiosity I looked at the price of buying this in the real world i.e. from a bulk chemical supplier, and for once it is about the same price as buying in the watchĀ 

1 hour ago, Marc said:

According to these guys "Coating watch parts with a thin, even monolayer of epilame provides an effective oleophobic barrier that halts oil spread in its tracks." Which is exactly the same process that causes water beading on a waxed car.

An oleophilic treatment would actually cause the oil to spread out to as thin a layer as possible as every oil molecule would try and come into contact with the oleophilic surface.

The reason an oleophobic surface prevents spreading is because the oil behaves in such a way as to have as little contact with the treated surface as possible.

Ā 

This makes much more sense now, the oil is withdrawing itself to make as little contact with the epilame as possible. Same principle as wax on a car creates a hyrophobic surface that makes the cohesive properties of water molecules pull together.Ā  The water beads run off only when under the influence of gravity but still remain cohesively beaded up. And as mentioned earlier a pivot would keep the oil in place on a cap jewel.Ā  Epilame on an escapement would be a different scenario, there is nothing to hold the oil in position if gravity tugs at the bead to move, plus the escape teeth pull the oil about Maybe this is why its suggested to run the watch for a short while to remove the epilame to make two oleophobic surfaces either side of the oil, creating a ring of fire šŸ”„ around it šŸ˜…

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

Now I'm completely confused, it would appear that theĀ epilameĀ  isĀ oleophobicĀ  as @MarcĀ states:

image.png.fd8ae6e34bfe67692d351dbebbfcfbc6.png

ThisĀ oleophobicĀ  behavior can be seen as beading of the droplet (as above) which stops the oil spreading which is supported by what we observe on treated/untreated cap stones (for example), but as @VWatchieĀ states this should make the drops more mobile and is supported by the literature:

image.thumb.png.e2de799ce2ffecac85c5232c3aaf2d4c.png

Ā 

A review on control of droplet motion based on wettability modulation principles design strategies recent progress and applications.pdf 3.8 MBĀ Ā·Ā 0 downloads

Ā 

However the whole point is that we have less mobile oil so anĀ oleophobicĀ  would see to be the opposite of what we want. In fact this beading and high mobility are desirable properties in things like smart phone covers, see below.Ā  I am fairly sure thatĀ epilame doesn't make the droplets more mobile, so maybe its a strange coating with dual properties that are both oleophobic (beading) and cohesive/adhesive resulting in low mobility?? This may explain the high price??

Ā 

image.thumb.png.cd3b6096339bd32c63e9a828a469ae9c.png

The oil is repelled by every surface of the epilame even that which it sits upon. So the oil pulls together to make as little contact with it as possible, but the oil cant float above that area, it can only sit there on top of it. Under gravity the oil could potentially run away as an oil bead, unless the epilame has an adhesive property which i dont think it does ? So something else keeps it in position ie a pivot under a cap jewel . But that isn't the case in a pallet jewel situation.Ā 

2 hours ago, Marc said:

The reason an oleophobic surface prevents spreading is because the oil behaves in such a way as to have as little contact with the treated surface as possible.

But it also makes it seem less susceptible to gravity. If you place a droplet of oil on an epilame-treated surface the droplet of oil will still stay in place even if you then flip the surface from a horizontal to a vertical position. That is, theĀ oil droplet remains anchored, and that's the purpose of epilame. If it was just a matter of creating an oleophobic surface we could probably use other, less expensive, methods!?

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

I am fairly sure thatĀ epilame doesn't make the droplets more mobile, so maybe its a strange coating with dual properties that are both oleophobic (beading) and cohesive/adhesive resulting in low mobility?? This may explain the high price??

I don't know @WaggyĀ but my gut feeling tells me you're spot on (pun intended!). I believe the oleophobic property is a side effect of epilame which is designed to keep the oil anchored.

20 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

But it also makes it seem less susceptible to gravity. If you place a droplet of oil on an epilame-treated surface the droplet of oil will still stay in place even if you then flip the surface from a horizontal to a vertical position. That is, theĀ oil droplet remains anchored, and that's the purpose of epilame. If it was just a matter of creating an oleophobic surface we could probably use other, less expensive, methods!?

Might that be the viscous nature of oil resisting gravity HĀ  ,Ā  we have been comparing water and hydrophobic surfaces which are similar in principle but water is much less viscous than oil. I guess what we trying to discover is if epilame also has an adhesive trait as well as being oleophobic. Plus the oil dropet has very little mass for gravity to work on, like watching tiny water beads that can grip onto vertical glass until they are connected together to increase their mass then run down. Gravity isn't the only factor at play when oil is placed on pallet stones. The oil receives a lot of bashing that may push it out of position ? Thinking about it if the oil stays in position for 10 minutes enough time for the escape wheel to scrape off the epilame , thenĀ  a walled in lubrication has been achieved,Ā  the epilame is no longer beneath the oil ( possibly mixed into the oil )

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

If we use the rub-off epilame method of pallet stones (run dry for a few minutes before applying the oil) where will the oil go/be transported when it is pushed away from the impulse surface by the escape wheel teeth? Onto the epilame-treated sections of the pallet! Once the oil has been applied/transported to theĀ epilame-treated sections of the pallet where will it then go? Nowhere as the oil will remain on the epilame. So, perhaps the run-dry method defeats its intended purpose leaving the pallet impulse surfaces dry!?

If, on the other hand, we do not remove the epilame from the pallet stones where the escape wheel teeth come in contact with them I'd expect more oil to remain where we want it and need it.

23 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I guess what we trying to discover is if epilame also has an adhesive trait as well as being oleophobic.

Yes, I agree, that is the question, and my gut feeling tells me that is exactly the case. Epilame was created to have an adhesive trait and the oleophobic property is just a side effect.

Ā 

Edited by VWatchie

8 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

If we use the rub-off epilame method of pallet stones (run dry for a few minutes before applying the epilame) where will the oil go/be transported when it is pushed away from the impulse surface by the escape wheel teeth? Onto the epilame-treated sections of the pallet! Once the oil has been applied/transported to theĀ epilame-treated sections of the pallet where will it then go? Nowhere as the oil will remain on the epilame. So, perhaps the run-dry method defeats its intended purpose leaving the pallet impulse surfaces dry!?

If, on the other hand, we do not remove the epilame from the pallet stones where the escape wheel teeth come in contact with them I'd expect more oil to remain where we want it and need it.

Yes, I agree, that is the question, and my gut feeling tells me that is exactly the case. Epilame was created to have an adhesive trait and the oleophobic property is just a side effect.

Ā 

The epilame under the oil will also be removedĀ 

5 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Unless the oil makes a barrier between the epilame and the escape teeth šŸ˜…

7 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Unless the oil makes a barrier between the epilame and the escape teeth šŸ˜…

I think i need two strong coffees now šŸ¤£

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Not sure I follow along. As I stated in one of my previous posts, the epilame will remain intact between rubbing parts as long as the surface is lubricated by oil or grease.

Epilametreatedsurface.jpg.5e81b32776b01b612907dc0570a56b93.jpg

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but note how the epilame-treated surface is illustrated in @Waggy's post. It looks like the oil is exposed to a binder (epilame!) so that it can't move sideways.

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VWatchie said:

Ā 

Epilametreatedsurface.jpg.5e81b32776b01b612907dc0570a56b93.jpg

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but note how the epilame-treated surface is illustrated in @Waggy's post. It looks like the oil is exposed to a binder (epilame!) so that it can't move sideways.

I read that same article last nightĀ  H.Ā  I think epilame is too much headache for me, sources aren't always accurate, some conflicting. Such is the GRAVITY of this situation, Is it ok if i just STICKĀ  to a thixotropic oil šŸ¤£

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Is it ok if i just STICKĀ  to a thixotropic oil šŸ¤£

Sure! Some very accomplished repairers never use epilame! I have often wondered if it is worth the trouble. Not using epilame will shorten the service intervals though, but that could be better perhaps both for the owner and the repairer!?

Speaking of oiling, I just read this:

After WWII in the 1950s the first Synthetic Oils came on the market.
Most watchmakers did not rush to use these oils since they were bad
for business now that the watch serviced with Synthetic oil would
not come back to him for service for another 5-7 years he would lose a
lot of income. ~Ofrei.com
Ā 

Anyway,Ā I wouldn't be surprised if it would be more correct to think of epilame as a binder rather than a repellant. Until convinced otherwise that's how I will think of epilame.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Not sure I follow along. As I stated in one of my previous posts, the epilame will remain intact between rubbing parts as long as the surface is lubricated by oil or

Yes i did eventually realise that the oil will act as a barrier, I'm sure the discussion will continue. Ive had two oleophobic coffees ( added coconut ) and in the meantime i have this just delivered to take my mind off epilame for the time being. My favourite type of dial, its a beautiful looking watch traditional English made and it runs,Ā  the ticktock is phenomenal,Ā  i can hear it across my living room .Ā  You wont believe how much it was.

17143898776141916963494073605447.jpg

34 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Sure! Some very accomplished repairers never use epilame! I have often wondered if it is worth the trouble. Not using epilame will shorten the service intervals though, but that could be better perhaps both for the owner and the repairer!?

Speaking of oiling, I just read this:

After WWII in the 1950s the first Synthetic Oils came on the market.
Most watchmakers did not rush to use these oils since they were bad
for business now that the watch serviced with Synthetic oil would
not come back to him for service for another 5-7 years he would lose a
lot of income. ~Ofrei.com
Ā 

Anyway,Ā I wouldn't be surprised if it would be more correct to think of epilame as a binder rather than a repellant. Until convinced otherwise that's how I will think of epilame.

Thats interesting about synthetic oils , i thought the same, going from a 2 year service to 5 years is a big drop in income for service folk.Ā  I expect some did well when they embraced the use of synthetic,Ā  probably drawing in more customers than those that didn't use the new fangled substances , i bet fairly short lived though. The more frequent service makes more sense to me, not for just the service but for the regular check up inspections that might pick up impending faults. As far as epilame goes, wouldn't it be great to be able to fumigate the complete movement in a sealed jar of heated stearic acid, šŸ¤” now theres a thought šŸ˜….

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Waggy said:

chemical inĀ epilame

one little minor problem with your chemistry experiment here which is what exactly is epilam? In other words is it an exact substance with the chemical you specify or is it a term? For instance originally it was steric acid either dissolved in some sort of solvent or it was applied by vaporizing it. Then now it's all kinds of different things the watch companies all have different ideas there's a whole bunch of patents. So is not always an exact substance.

Ā 

11 hours ago, VWatchie said:

It is also consistent with my observations. Oil placed at a fixed point on a treated surface is difficult to move from that point.

let me snip out a image from the patent that I attached up above. Notice I highlighted something it seems to disagree with your evaluation.

image.png.9dffd08d87ba59f32e4c17980ded7de4.png

Ā 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

one little minor problem with your chemistry experiment here which is what exactly is epilam? In other words is it an exact substance with the chemical you specify or is it a term? For instance originally it was steric acid either dissolved in some sort of solvent or it was applied by vaporizing it. Then now it's all kinds of different things the watch companies all have different ideas there's a whole bunch of patents. So is not always an exact substance.

Ā 

let me snip out a image from the patent that I attached up above. Notice I highlighted something it seems to disagree with your evaluation.

Ā 

The full article on that patent is a really interesting odd read. I wasn't aware that even a specific set of instructions on the use of a product could be patented. Does that mean that if i can prove that walking backwards will reduce shoe wear by up to 30% then i can patent that idea, and sue in court anyone i catch doing it ?

4 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

patent that idea,

you should go to the European patent office and look up watch patents. I'm guessing it's probably impossible to make anything related to watches without stepping on somebody's patent it's good that they expire with time. They've literally as far as I can tell patented everything and anything. this is why is pointing out their other formulas for the Epilam I'm pretty sure Rolex might have their own formula for instance.

7 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

if i can prove that walking backwards will reduce shoe wear by up to 30% then i can patent that idea, and sue in court anyone i catch doing it ?

somewhere in the universe I was once reading things that were rejected for patents for basically this kind of thing. So yes there is rules on what can and cannot be patented but I'm sure things fall through the cracks.

Ā 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

you should go to the European patent office and look up watch patents. I'm guessing it's probably impossible to make anything related to watches without stepping on somebody's patent it's good that they expire with time. They've literally as far as I can tell patented everything and anything. this is why is pointing out their other formulas for the Epilam I'm pretty sure Rolex might have their own formula for instance.

somewhere in the universe I was once reading things that were rejected for patents for basically this kind of thing. So yes there is rules on what can and cannot be patented but I'm sure things fall through the cracks.

Ā 

Drat and double drat i was looking forward to the royalties on that idea.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Klassiker said:

I agree with @JohnR725. Oil on an epilamed surface is essentially the same as water on a waxed surface. The same physical properties are at work (surface tension vs. adhesion).Ā 

I kind of think the same, the surface under the oil is the same as the surface around the oil. Can epilame both repel and attract , that doesn't quite make sense in simple terms, but is it more complicated than that.

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I kind of think the same, the surface under the oil is the same as the surface around the oil. Can epilame both repel and attract , that doesn't quite make sense in simple terms, but is it more complicated than that.

When cohesive forces within a liquid are stronger than the adhesive forces of a surface then surface tension is high causing the liquid to bead up. SoĀ  an applied epilame coating reduces the adhesive force of a surface inhibiting a fluid to wet the surface. So i guess no epilame cannot both repel and attract . If something is keeping the oil in place on top of an epilamed surface then there must be another reason for that.

22 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

17143898776141916963494073605447.jpg

That's one beautiful timepiece! Love the big crown in proportion to the case. Perhaps a ladies' watch, but I don't think so. I have a "modern Ingersoll" watch, but it has nothing to do with the original brand (Miyota 9015 movement).

22 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

fangled substances

Interesting synonym for synthetic oils!Ā šŸ˜†

14 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

There is, of course, a limit to how large a volume of oil epilame can bind and hold in place. If the oleophobic effect is too strong then it can become a problem.

I'm not sure where I heard or read it, but as I understand it, the active ingredient in a bottle of epilame is extremely small and more than 99% of the contents of the bottle is just a transfer agent. If the active ingredient becomes too concentrated, which it can become over time, or if the product is of poor quality, the oleophobic effect is amplified. This in turn causes the applied oil to look like a gummed-up ball on the surface of the treated part. If that happens, we know that the active ingredient has become too concentrated. What we want is for the oil to bind but not to the point where it is formed into an excessively round ball on the surface.

The highlighted text in the patent that you refer to describes well the problem that can arise with too high a concentration of the active ingredient. However, I would be extremely surprised if the entire amount of oil leaves the treated surface as water on wax would.

At present, I am convinced that the analogy between wax and water on the one hand and epilame and oil on the other is incorrect. Epilame is described as binding and that is also my absolute experience. Epilame probably has some repelling effect but that is not its main purpose and that is not how epilame is designed and works.

The method of abrading the epilame treatment from the section of the pallet stones coming in contact with the escape wheel teeth seems after even more research to be well established, but if it actually works, if so how and why is beyond what I can currently understand. Perhaps it is just to do and trust that it is based on well-established experience. I am, after all, inclined to think so.

30 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

That's one beautiful timepiece! Love the big crown in proportion to the case. Perhaps a ladies' watch, but I don't think so. I have a "modern Ingersoll" watch, but it has nothing to do with the original brand (Miyota 9015 movement).

Thanks H It does have a big crown for the watch , it could be considered a ladies watch these days i guess, it measures 33mm case 36mm with that large crown 18mm lug space. A tad small for a guy of today, but still very wearable. The photo was deceptive so here it is adorning my 7 1/4 " wrist. It need some love to make it run better. The hair coils are touching so running a bit fast at the moment,Ā  not caused by magnetism, and maybe just a clean and a service. The dtal is in fantastic shape.

17144799407725496609413757957738.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

That's the size of my grandfather's Ernest Borel watch. Definitely not a lady's watch!Ā šŸ‘

Its a touch under ive just remeasured it and added a wrist shot. Unbelievably it was Ā£13Ā  plus 3 postage. You dont find watches that nice for that money every day of the week.

44 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

The method of abrading the epilame treatment from the section of the pallet stones coming in contact with the escape wheel teeth seems after even more research to be well established, but if it actually works, if so how and why is beyond what I can currently understand. Perhaps it is just to do and trust that it is based on well-established experience. I am, after all, inclined to think so.

Maybe removing the epilame in the oil region improves the purpose of it. We may know very soon as i emailed Episurf 4 hours ago to ask that exact question. šŸ¤žthey are happy to provide an answer for us.

48 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Interesting synonym for synthetic oils!Ā šŸ˜†

There is, of course, a limit to how large a volume of oil epilame can bind and hold in place. If the oleophobic effect is too strong then it can become a problem.

I'm not sure where I heard or read it, but as I understand it, the active ingredient in a bottle of epilame is extremely small and more than 99% of the contents of the bottle is just a transfer agent. If the active ingredient becomes too concentrated, which it can become over time, or if the product is of poor quality, the oleophobic effect is amplified. This in turn causes the applied oil to look like a gummed-up ball on the surface of the treated part. If that happens, we know that the active ingredient has become too concentrated. What we want is for the oil to bind but not to the point where it is formed into an excessively round ball on the surface.

The highlighted text in the patent that you refer to describes well the problem that can arise with too high a concentration of the active ingredient. However, I would be extremely surprised if the entire amount of oil leaves the treated surface as water on wax would.

At present, I am convinced that the analogy between wax and water on the one hand and epilame and oil on the other is incorrect. Epilame is described as binding and that is also my absolute experience. Epilame probably has some repelling effect but that is not its main purpose and that is not how epilame is designed and works.

How do you fancy trying a stearic acid vapour treatment experimentĀ  H .Ā  Shall i have a go this afternoon ?

Stearic acid experiment underway,Ā  its started to melt at aroundĀ  65Ā° C. The idea is to find a large cap jewel to suspend over the vapour release.Ā 

1714483693563272047216148760214.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Klassiker said:

Oil on an epilamed surface is essentially the same as water on a waxed surface.

OK, let me try and expand on why I think this is right (but maybe misleading at the same time). Wikipedia has a good explanation of surface tension, which is where I got most of the ideas below.

The cohesion of the liquid molecules binds them together into the most compact form possible. If there are no external forces acting, this is a sphere. Surface tension is the combined effect of the cohesion between molecules on the surface with others on the surface, as well as the cohesion to molecules just under the surface, causing contraction and the formation of a denser "skin". The way a droplet of a liquid forms on a solid surface is determined by the strength of this cohesive force relative to the adhesive force between the liquid molecules and the surface material. If cohesion >> adhesion, you get a droplet. If cohesion is similar to adhesion, the liquid tends to spread out on the surface and creep away from its original location. Oil doesn't have the same high surface tension that water does, so it is not going to form a really rounded droplet on any surface in the way that water will "bead" on wax. This is where my earlier statement is misleading, but it is still exactly the same principles at work. Drops of oil on an epilamed surface are not going to run off in all directions at the lightest provocation. What the epilame does, I think, is reduce the adhesive force to the surface somewhat, making the weak cohesive force of the oil molecules more effective. The result is less tendency of the oil to spread out and creep, and more tendency to stick together as a cohesive mass.

I don't think epilame has any effect on surface tension. That is a property of the liquid and is determined solely by the cohesive forces between the liquid molecules. I also don't think the epilame makes the liquid "stick" to where it is applied. The oil adheres ("sticks") more strongly to a non-treated surface than to a surface treated with epilame. This is why the epilame needs to be removed from the contact surfaces by running dry for a short period. The oil then sticks more readily to the local contact surfaces, where the epilame layer is worn away, than to the surrounding area. The oil sticks together, and is thereby anchored in place as a single body.

Interestingly, reducing the adhesion of the oil to the solid surfaces will also reduce capillary action, which is what we rely on if we don't use epilame. Another reason to make sure the epilame is worn away from the spot you want the oil to stay put.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Klassiker said:

OK, let me try and expand on why I think this is right (but maybe misleading at the same time). Wikipedia has a good explanation of surface tension, which is where I got most of the ideas below.

The cohesion of the liquid molecules binds them together into the most compact form possible. If there are no external forces acting, this is a sphere. Surface tension is the combined effect of the cohesion between molecules on the surface with others on the surface, as well as the cohesion to molecules just under the surface, causing contraction and the formation of a denser "skin". The way a droplet of a liquid forms on a solid surface is determined by the strength of this cohesive force relative to the adhesive force between the liquid molecules and the surface material. If cohesion >> adhesion, you get a droplet. If cohesion is similar to adhesion, the liquid tends to spread out on the surface and creep away from its original location. Oil doesn't have the same high surface tension that water does, so it is not going to form a really rounded droplet on any surface in the way that water will "bead" on wax. This is where my earlier statement is misleading, but it is still exactly the same principles at work. Drops of oil on an epilamed surface are not going to run off in all directions at the lightest provocation. What the epilame does, I think, is reduce the adhesive force to the surface somewhat, making the weak cohesive force of the oil molecules more effective. The result is less tendency of the oil to spread out and creep, and more tendency to stick together as a cohesive mass.

I don't think epilame has any effect on surface tension. That is a property of the liquid and is determined solely by the cohesive forces between the liquid molecules. I also don't think the epilame makes the liquid "stick" to where it is applied. The oil adheres ("sticks") more strongly to a non-treated surface than to a surface treated with epilame. This is why the epilame needs to be removed from the contact surfaces by running dry for a short period. The oil then sticks more readily to the local contact surfaces, where the epilame layer is worn away, than to the surrounding area. The oil sticks together, and is thereby anchored in place as a single body.

Interestingly, reducing the adhesion of the oil to the solid surfaces will also reduce capillary action, which is what we rely on if we don't use epilame. Another reason to make sure the epilame is worn away from the spot you want the oil to stay put.

Ā 

Ā 

More eloquently put than i Stephen, although i dont think i was too far behind you šŸ™‚. I received an email from Episurf, they dont provide specfic instructions for its application,Ā  but did tell me that some watchmakers use a dry rub method and others do not, also in their literature they provide a surface tension measurement of Epilame.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

More eloquently put than i Stephen, although i dont think i was too far behind you šŸ™‚. I received an email from Episurf, they dont provide specfic instructions for its application,Ā  but did tell me that some watchmakers use a dry rub method and others do not, also in their literature they provide a surface tension measurement of Epilame.

If you don't mind, ask them what happens if you don't dry run. Does the epilame still wear away, and if so, how quickly? What do they mean with "a surface tension measurement of epilame"? (It isn't a liquid.)

1 minute ago, Klassiker said:

If you don't mind, ask them what happens if you don't dry run. Does the epilame still wear away, and if so, how quickly? What do they mean with "a surface tension measurement of epilame"? (It isn't a liquid.)

They weren't keen on providing information of its use, i think we mentioned earlier that the oil makes the barrier between the epilame and a mechanical disruption of it. I also thought that but i assume the ST measurement is in it's solution form not as a film.

20240430_155935.jpg

Screenshot_20240430-082539_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1