Need help

I just finished servicing a vintage Doxa with 103 movement. I dissembled the watch, cleaned it and put it back together and lubricated. It works fine for 5-10 min and stops. I have to shake it a little or touch the wheels and it starts again. I checked the gear train without balance and pallet fork and it moves freely. End shake looks appropriate.

What should I look for? What could be reason for this?

Thank you.

IMG_1348.jpg

2i feel your pain, I am in the process of having the exact same problem on a ladies smiths enfield 7 jewels movementer,  I too cleaned checked and lubed and it ran, gave it back to the owner and it ran for a few days and then stopped, I have it back and stripped it down and cleaned again and lubed, it ran every day with a full wind every other day for over a week.

Now I have wound it and it won't go for more than 15 mins max, I shall again strip and inspect and place each wheel in postit ion etc etc until all have been checked individually and together, so I to will be jumping on this thread and offering advice from my findings ok

With the anchor installed wind it a couple of turns.

Gently push the fork on the anchor towards the other banking pin.

Does the anchor snap over nicely?

Do the same the other way, does it snap over nicely?

If it doesnt your issue is with the mainspring, train or anchor.

If it does is your watch in beat?

I'm assuming you know not to oil the anchor pivots as that could also cause your issue.

Do you have endshake on the balance?

For me the pallet fork is not oiled and snaps back and forth with power on the train, also the train will wind down by itself when the pallet is removed, with the train once wound down giving a recoil and spinning in the opposite direction, so main spring is in good condition. My balance hasn’t got the ability to change the beat as it’s a fixed hairspring, but when installled without the pallet and given a blow with  duster it will ocilate loads before eventually coming to a stop. It’s nice and free and the jewels are oiled with  moebius 9010, 

i will say that when I allowed the mainspring to wind down without the pallet in place the small seconds at six rotated but I noticed that the hands didn’t, although now with the dial off I can rotate the barrel and put some power into the spring and the cannon pinion will rotate. 

No hands are fouling the crystal, dial or each other, I currently have the movement in front of me and am trying to sort the problem but am coming up blank at the mo.

Edited by transporter

Here’s my movement, I’m now running it without dial or hands on, and I’ve given the the smallest amount of oil on a couple of the escape wheel teeth, being a pin pallet it seems to of responded well, I’m not at home at the moment so don’t have access to my timing machine to see how it’s running. I’ve given it a full wind and will leave it in the dial down position over night and see how it goes.Well I would attach photos but again I’m getting the upload failed -200 message so no photos are uploading at the mo

1 hour ago, transporter said:

Here’s my movement, I’m now running it without dial or hands on, and I’ve given the the smallest amount of oil on a couple of the escape wheel teeth, being a pin pallet it seems to of responded well, I’m not at home at the moment so don’t have access to my timing machine to see how it’s running. I’ve given it a full wind and will leave it in the dial down position over night and see how it goes.imageproxy.php?img=&key=77f0dcc5ac0f9d5bWell I would attach photos but again I’m getting the upload failed -200 message so no photos are uploading at the mo

Pin lever movement need some oil to i have experienced . So i think you did right there. 

On 7/1/2018 at 11:45 PM, Dino said:

I just finished servicing a vintage Doxa with 103 movement. I dissembled the watch, cleaned it and put it back together and lubricated. It works fine for 5-10 min and stops. I have to shake it a little or touch the wheels and it starts again. I checked the gear train without balance and pallet fork and it moves freely. End shake looks appropriate.

What should I look for? What could be reason for this?

Thank you.

Have you check the beat error. Think the regulator is far of from other movement i have seen on google. You did not say you tested in a Timegrapher? 

24 minutes ago, Dino said:

That's right. I should be getting a new wheel next week.

Check the other wheels to . I did a mistake a couple of weeks ago. I forgot to unwind the mainspring and broke 3 wheels. Not saying you have but could very well be more wheels that are broken. 

Edited by rogart63