Pallet and Balance woes

I have been working on a few movements learning as I go. Luckily I haven broken anything non replaceable yet. The current issue I am having I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on. Its happening with two ETA 2836-2 Movements and a Omega 26.5 T3 All of them have had new mainspring, I have stripped and serviced the movements, the train gear and the spring move as they should and can be wound. The issue I am having is when I put the Pallets and Pallet Bridge on the main plate, and then the balance, I can not get the balance too swing and the watch movements to run. I haven't had this problem before, so am wondering if I have three problems or if I am the problem. 

The balances look okay under a loupe and the jewels all look ok so I as scratching my head and going backwards and forwards over the same section each time in the hope the movement will come to life. 

Does anyone have any ideas or pointers? if your London based and feel like taking a look I would love to meet you, tea, biscuits, dinner  or beer would be provided, as well as conversation about watches, or I can help out with any classic car issues you may have! 

Many thanks in advance 

Andy 

Hi. New members normally introduce themselves first before asking for help

After you have inserted the pallets, put the bridge on, add some power, just a couple of turns and see if the pallets are free, you can do this by touching the pallets with your tweezers, they should move say from left to right, if they do then power is getting through, if so you can then screw the bridge down, be careful not to dislodge the pallets. Test again for power. Then you can position the balance, making sure the impulse pin is between the pallet fork. If the power is not getting through then you do not have the pallet pivots in there holes, be very careful because you could have damaged the pivot or jewel hole.  

Thanks I will give this a try and let you know how I get on. I feel that should solve the ETA issues, the Omega issue I feel is from the keyless mech as it won't wind properly without tuning the min and hour wheels but will set to just setting the hands which is also making my head hurt. the lack of diagrams for thew 26.5 movement are making this one more difficult. 

Sorry I thought I had in the introduce your self section. My name is Andy, I am learning watch repair now after lots of years of interest. and wanting to be able to service and repair my own watches. I am based in London, and the rest of my time is spent as a cameraman (work) and messing around with classic cars of which I have two.

Thank you for the advice its hugely appreciated and I will give it a try Thanks I will give this a try and let you know how I get on. I feel that should solve the ETA issues, unless the pallet fork is worn or the jewels have damage. The Omega issue, after looking at it could be from the keyless mech as it won't wind properly without tuning the min and hour wheels but will pull out to set just setting the hands. This movement is also making my head hurt, the lack of diagrams for the 26.5 T3 are making this one more difficult, and as it is so old finding parts has been an issue, Its already needed a new main Spring, escape wheel and keyless return spring to get it to the stage I have it at now. 

Also - sorry I thought I had. I in the introduce your self section. My name is Andy, I am learning watch repair now after lots of years of interest. I am based in London, and the rest of my time is spent as a cameraman (work) and messing around with classic cars of which I have two. Thanks for the advice its hugely appreciated and I will give it a try 

Thanks for the parts list. That is very helpful. I have been searching for parts or a doner movement but so far haven’t come up with much apart from the escape wheel a return spring and a barrel with arbour and spring  (the last one wasn’t required after all. 

Hi Andy,

Where abouts in London are you based? I’m an engineer at the BBC. 

Regarding the issues you have, I would usually remove the balance and check that the pallets are snapping positively when the lever is nudged (see my posts elsewhere about safe locking). Then wind down the mainspring, remove the balance, remove the pallets, then reinsert the balance and check that it swings freely. It should oscillate for tens of seconds when left to rest after given a shake. That’s slightly vague, but you get a feel for what looks “right”.  

Hi Rod, 

I'm Based near Canary Wharf, in poplar. Which bit of the Beeb are you based at? I haven't been worked there for a while, but used to spend a far amount of time shooting for red bee when they still had the contract for BBC Creative Pre Ericsson. 

Ill give that a try during the week to see if I can get any further with the pallets. 

Thanks 

Andy