Ladies Rolex Oyster bezel removal

Hi all

I’m new to this forum and would link to reach out for advice on a watch I’m restoring. I have a ladies Rolex Oyster case reference 4271 dated 1948 which I want to change the acrylic glass.  The issue I have is that the bezel shows no gap to insert a blade to remove. it looks like part of the case. My question is 

- Do I need to remove the bezel to change the glass? I do have a bezel removal tool but as I cannot see any entry point even under the microscope and I don’t want to damage the case.

Many thanks

Ed

7A615723-7F99-441B-970D-F3BAD2E233E5.jpeg

241FC0FF-2819-40D9-97F2-69BA33F30DB3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Edward said:

I have tried pushing the lens from inside the case but it’s solid,

Do you have a crystal press? It's needed to work on watches.

Also, the crystal doesn't look to be cracked, so it can be polished to perfection without removing it.

2 minutes ago, Edward said:

Yes I have a crystal press which I have tried but I cannot move it. 

I don't think that is possible, but measure bezel sizes inside and outside to confirm.

In any case as mentioned already you can restore the watch without replacing the crystal at all.

Sometimes cement is used to hold these glasses firm.

Perhaps you could dip the case into some chemical that removes/melts glue, perhaps some sort of lacquer which shouldn't damage the case or the glass.

As has been said, a press will be better than using your hands or fingers. Be careful not to get the crystal broken if it is cemented as you'll have extra work to clean the debris and remove any crystal bits.

It pretty much looks like it has no front bezel so therefore the crystal must be glued in...

3 hours ago, clockboy said:

Looking at the pics I would say it does remove it is highly unlikely that it is part of the case.Maybe  a fine razor blade will fit under it

I don't know for sure if the bezel is a separate part but if it is, I'm afraid that going at it with a blade will do no more than marking it. The way to remove would be a screw press using a metal die of exact size, and the lugs sitting on a concave nylon or hard wood die. 

• 3 months later...