Buler

Cheers Bob,

I will post a picture of the innards when I get it apart. 

Unfortunately I have to prep the front door and surround for staining tomorrow.  Its supposed to be good weather if you can believe the forecast and it needs doing before autumn sets in. Wire wool is the order for the day ho hum.

Hi Vic, I wish you well with both projects, I know what one I'd rather be doing. I'm away to grout rough surface tiles today, and I'm definitely not in the mood to do it!

It rained everything is masked off outside and only one coat on - is it me or are the dates on the postings showing November ?

Yup - the forum's showing November - that's why it rained when you wanted to do your outside painting. Mark's fixed the weather as well! :D

Well I can't do owt outside so I took the back off. 

The Movement is marked - Brevets, Swiss Made, 17 Jewels Unadjusted Buler Watch Ltd., BFG 158 31/7. 

The spring is hanging loose at one end.

The time is displayed on three disks and the seconds disk was rolling around in the case but the other two are firmly fixed and can be changed with the winder.  There are two small apertures on the minutes disk that presumably are used in some way to remove same but one thing is for sure normal hands lifters are not going to fit but a home made tool is likely.  It looks like the inner side of the crystal has been slightly scratched so I am going to have to find some appropriate matching black paint that is not going to lift any of the good stuff off.  So spring problem and crystal to attend to and disc removal so I can clean it after dismantling.  The good news is the steel case which is dirty but in quite good nick considering.  Here are the pics.

post-197-0-80730100-1417281808_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-64417200-1417281849_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-69492400-1417281883_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-98383900-1417281917_thumb.jpg

Vic

what are the missing parts?

I may have a suitable donor in my parts/projects box but if the missing parts are specific to the jump hour function then I know can't help as all my spares are for conventional hands. 

Downloaded the PDF for parts from Cousins and it seems that there are some bits missing :thumbsd:

That's a bit of swine, let's hope Marc can help you with what you require. This is what I like about this forum, the way folk are willing to help one another.

Hello Marc,

I am still investigating but the spring is not attached at the outer end and if you have a quick look at the photo there is nothing to attach it to or that it has been attached to.  I am not familiar with this movement at all but on others I have worked on there was a + and - on the cock and an adjuster and this one seems totally without.  It is quite interesting i found one article here - http://watchguy.co.uk/service-repair-buler-baumgartner-bfg-158/ . It may be a pin pallet movement - new to me.

post-197-0-27368400-1417285053.jpg

I see the problem, the whole regulator assembly is missing and I would guess that the hairspring is probably not too healthy either.

I have done some rummaging and your in luck. I have a complete and running (albeit in need of a service) BFG158 in a Buler which should provide any of the going train parts that you need. Dial side will be different though as it is conventional 3 hands and a date but with any luck you don't have anything missing from that side.

It is definitely a pin pallet (or pin lever) movement, this one with 25 jewels, so quite an interesting movement to work on if you've not come across one before.

Anyway, this one has you name on it if you want to pm me an address.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

hi all. just purchased a broken supernova that i am trying to fix. The movement is the one jewel variation. seems pretty gunked up, having a hard time getting the stem out. any suggestions from experience of working on this movement? Let me know, thanks!!