Buler

Hello Chaps,

My attention was taken by a big vintage Buler jump hour watch. It is broken and I liked the look of it - bit like me chunky and battered, but no pictures of the inner workings given. Anyone know what these are like to work on and availability of parts in general terms.

Cheers,

Vic

It looks like this Brand is a bit unusual. Very little on tinternet and spare parts like hens teeth so I am stupidly drawn to it. Bought one broken watch for £17.00 and have my eyes on an identical one in the USA that I will try for. They really are ugly but I was always the one to buy the runt of the litter. I will post some stuff when it comes and you can all doubt my sanity with impunity as I actually don't understand why I like it myself. (:-))

I've had a number of Bulers cross my bench and still have a few in the projects box. All pin levers with high jewel counts. The only one that I can recall specific details of from the top of my head is a great big chunky '70's auto with a 25 jewel BFG158 inside. 

They do all seem to have been solidly built and quite eager runners if a little quirky.

As far as parts are concerned you will need to identify the movement once you get your mits on it but like as not it's a BFG so parts should be reasonably obtainable.l

I should get the first one on Friday and hopefully I will know a bit more. I had to smile when I saw BFG as I used to love playing Doom on the PC and that acronym meant something completely different - ending with Gun.

As promised, here it is:

post-253-0-67564100-1411423653.png

I got it to go with my zippo lighter collection but I don't really like it. Although I found this picture online I own the same watch...saves time when you are not home!

I'm not a fan of square watches much less when they are sooooo......digitals?! :)

PS. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! If in doubt, ask my wife (she loves me, yeah!).  :)

I call them Zippo protuberances! A lame excuse to make it analogue too and bland looking! :)  and look at the crown! Ready to break with the slight wrist movement! Ah Ah, Vich, I win the contest of the ugly watch! :) Please, feel free to issue the certificate at your convenience!

PS. Those hads, don't they remind you of the little clock guy in Disney's "Beauty and the Beast"? :) Worst combination ever.

PS 2. I like the character in yours!

Edited by bobm12

Hello Bob - the crown does look somewhat -  er - wobbly and it looks a bit like a picture of a watch that no one should make so I agree mine probably is not that bad after all - OK I hereby certify that you win !

Also thanks for the input Marc.I am busy looking up BFG (movements not guns)

The EBay description is "Vintage Swiss made Buler 17 jewels automatic jump hour watch head. Big case measures approx. 41mm across. Non working, time can be set, rotor turns but there is something rattling inside of case. Sold for spare spare parts or restorarion"

Also looks like someone has been at the back of the case with a mole grip.  Plenty of work to do buffing and polishing side of things - should be fun.

post-197-0-25615300-1411458886_thumb.jpg

Well its arrived and the case is in good nick but I am not sure whether the back has been off, I suspect it might but I am having a spot of bother trying to remove it myself. The centre dial is loose and rattling round the case.

Marc if you have had some of these across your bench can you advise if it is a screw off or a push fitting please.  I normally use a big clump of Rodico to undo the screw off backs but it is proving resistant.  I have a sticky ball on the way to me.  Wouldn't be the first time I have tried to unscrew a push fit.

There are all sorts of scratches on the back indicating someone has been trying to do something.

One thing I had not realised is that the crystal is concave matching the front of the watch and the scoopy shape makes it look better than I thought.  It weighs quite a bit clocking in at 64 grams.  Some minor scratching on the crystal yhat should be easily dealt with.  17 Jewel movement - should be interesting

post-197-0-73649100-1411652300_thumb.jpg

Hi Vich... Love that crystal. Not an easy one to replace if you ever have to though.

I have come across Bulers both with screw on backs and snap on backs. Either way though they have all been what they looked like they were; no snap ons masquerading as screw ons.

That's not to say that they don't exist or that yours isn't one. Only close examination and some careful experimental tweaking will prove it one way or the other. I would work on the assumption that it's a screw back though.

I think you may be advised to await the arrival of the sticky rubber ball, Rodico is unlikely to move anything but the loosest back, and even the rubber ball may be found wanting. Buler case quality is really only middling at best and if the back proves to be a tight fit to the case you may have to use a more solid wrench.

Keep us updated.

Somebody shoot me now.

Could be arranged Vic, I recommend 45/70.

Looks like you have just added some grease to the slippery slope, it's good fun though! It used to be called Watchitus but I have heard it has been re-graded to an even more virulent strain.................Willitus, for which which there is no known cure.

Edited by Geo

I managed to get a case back like this off with a Jaxa-style opener. But fiddly adjusting the three prongs, but it worked in the end. I've often wondered if a small spanner set would be useful for backs like this.

As for Willitus - huh - I'm in advanced stage of the disease, and loving it. In fact, I've got extra symptoms: I'm currently looking out for spare working movements of good watches in my collection because parts are sometimes hard to get - and will continue to be harder to source with the new Swatch policies on parts. My 1939 Unitas 173 has both a broken mainspring and cracked barrel arbour screw. Cousins has a spring but no barrel arbour parts for this movement - but I've managed to source a complete movement. I'm also looking at an Enicar 1292 movement, for similar reasons.

I think I may have a problem with some parts Will, eg the crystal is underpainted but as it is perspex or whatever I hope the polywatch will rub out any minor scratches from the surface. 

The back does seem to be of the Panerai style like Bob mentioned but much smaller, a rough look at the back shows about 29mm between the flats if you can call them that as each one has a bevelled edge making a positive grip with anything but a proper tool doubtful which is why I thought it may be push fit.

As you suggest I was thinking a box spanner would be good then I realised they don't tend to have any more than 6 sides and the watch has 10.  An adjustable wrench may work with a bit of polythene to protect the case.

You will notice in the photos that some of the flats are chewed quite deeply but the ones diametrically opposite are clean, surely they have not been trying to move it with a chisel ? It does however sort of rule out pliers and mole grips etc.

If it had been off then you would think it would move relatively easily.  Right, time to wait till my sticky ball comes then I might get rough if it doen't work.  I have heard of someone sticking a bit of wood to the back with hot melt glue so there are options.

Cheers,  Vic

Just got an email from a guy that collects jump watches:

hi there Vic,

if it's this one then it's a snap back.

www.ebay.com/itm/291237810225

you have to pry upwards from the lug side.

the rattling piece is most likely the seconds disc.

regsrds

Piotr

He has correctly picked out the watch I bought so prying time is nigh.

Cheers,

Vic

Cheers Bob,

I will post a picture of the innards when I get it apart. 

Unfortunately I have to prep the front door and surround for staining tomorrow.  Its supposed to be good weather if you can believe the forecast and it needs doing before autumn sets in. Wire wool is the order for the day ho hum.