Seconds hand slight stuttering

Chopin

I have a swiss manual wind vintage movement (50s period; unknown maker; 17 jewels) that has just been serviced. Nothing inside looked damage but I noticed the other day that sometimes there is a slight stutter with the seconds hand. It seems to only happen in one spot, I believe, for around 4-5 seconds. But that point seems to move around throughout the day/time, perhaps it advances.

What could cause this ? Too little/too much lubrication with certain parts or potential damage ? Where should I investigate this matter in the movement ?

Forgot to mention it's a 18000 movement. By stuttering I mean that when it reaches the area that it starts to do this instead of having 5 ticks it'll have 3 larger ones, or at least that's how it looks like.

Edited by Chopin

A picture of the movement and watch would help you do not say whether the  second hand is a small seconds or a large center seconds hand and if so is it  via a pinion and driven from a wheel on the third wheel arbor and held in place with a tension spring ?

I don't think It would be possible for anyone to answer your question without these basic facts I'm afraid.

Edited by wls1971

Probably what Anilv suggests, however, monitor the balance amplitude before adjusting...... the increased friction from the sweep seconds spring shouldn’t affect the amplitude significantly, but something like a reduction of 10 degrees may be typical. Monitor the amplitude throughout the 60s cycle, and check that it is consistent. If it is not, then inspect the moving contact points. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Got it thank you! I'll steer clear of the lower jewel count movements until my skills are a bit better. I'm literally brand new to this
    • Depends where you are with repairing, watches like you have just mentioned  the Smiths, Ingersolls, Services are often pin pallet watches with low jewel counts, not impossible to fix but often quite difficult due to having more wear than a fairly standard 15 or 17 jewel movement. Saying that you may be lucky and pick one up that was never used much. As an example i spent a few weeks on and off getting the most i could from an old Smiths Empire, that did actually finish at within 2 minutes per week that could be improved further now i know it is fairly precise but not quite accurate . Sekondas are good practice pieces at around a tenner, though some folk call them rough but robust.
    • Hello people , this is maybe a question that the moderators can answer.  Can seperate posts be unmerged from each other. Sometimes posts are missed by others because of a continuation of them . Even when answering seperate people the posts are grouped together as one. Maybe it saves message board space ? 
    • Just got these good quality diamond files from the bay for Just a fiver, we all love a bargain dont we. Brand names are J.K.Smit  and Triefus, two old diamond tool makers so not cheap crap.
    • Its a touch under ive just remeasured it and added a wrist shot. Unbelievably it was £13  plus 3 postage. You dont find watches that nice for that money every day of the week. Maybe removing the epilame in the oil region improves the purpose of it. We may know very soon as i emailed Episurf 4 hours ago to ask that exact question. 🤞they are happy to provide an answer for us. How do you fancy trying a stearic acid vapour treatment experiment  H .  Shall i have a go this afternoon ? Stearic acid experiment underway,  its started to melt at around  65° C. The idea is to find a large cap jewel to suspend over the vapour release.