How do I remove movement on Tissot quartz watch

pmcfadd

Hello everyone, I am new here. I have a Tissot Quartz watch from ca. 1980. It has been sitting in a draw for years because the crystal is badly scratched and it is in need of a good clean.

I would like to replace the crystal myself and have removed the back; crown and what seemed like two retaining screws for the movement. However the movement refuses to come out although it rotates in the housing. On having a closer look it seems to be locked in place. Could anyone tell me if this is a locking ring and if so how do I remove it? If not do I have to remove the movement from the front. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

Tissot.jpg

DSCN0542.thumb.JPG.c496809236f9d57202643d5f8ff875be.JPGDSCN0541.thumb.JPG.e4747e0fd6d2093c502e4746926de876.JPGDSCN0546.thumb.JPG.60e481c746d62cfa92fd1448e72cf2a1.JPG

Hello again, Thanks for the feedback.

Here is a front and side picture. As I mentioned before the movement rotates inside the case and that why the display is 180° to where it should be.

I will try putting the screws back in and give it a few taps to see if that helps although it seems to be locked in place from the back. The diameter of the movement seems about about 0,5 mm bigger than the hole in the housing.

image.png.7b73d4f60121ffe16b94fd455bc34951.png

DSCN0542.thumb.JPG.c496809236f9d57202643d5f8ff875be.JPGDSCN0541.thumb.JPG.e4747e0fd6d2093c502e4746926de876.JPGDSCN0546.thumb.JPG.60e481c746d62cfa92fd1448e72cf2a1.JPG
Hello again, Thanks for the feedback.
Here is a front and side picture. As I mentioned before the movement rotates inside the case and that why the display is 180° to where it should be.
I will try putting the screws back in and give it a few taps to see if that helps although it seems to be locked in place from the back. The diameter of the movement seems about about 0,5 mm bigger than the hole in the housing.
image.png.7b73d4f60121ffe16b94fd455bc34951.png
That's not a front loader. Still think the movement comes out with the ring. See pics of similar, on my Vostok that I've just replaced the mainspring 47b447ec1da7bed48a5510cad71f4dc1.jpg38dd07a36e335113246a59b5e18803a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I think I spy two small holes in that ring around the back of the movement.

2ADDABA3-20F0-44FB-A095-6D66FBE1A416.jpeg.15433fe24857a3157c40aad2576dcc5a.jpeg

Sorry this is a poor markup, but I’ve drawn 2 rough circles where I think I see the holes. So does this ring work like a circlip? If you put 2 pins in the holes can you squeeze them together to compress the ring?

• Like 1

One can also avoid removing the bezel or mov.t. Just close it replacing back and crown gaskets, then polish out the scratches (that's a bit of a messy work) as described in various threads here, use search function on the top right. Although it seems to have a flat crystal which cost about $1, then a press is needed to fit it back, and few more tools for a proper work. 

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the advice. It came out from the front after all. I just had to find the correct place to insert the knife.  I will have a look if I can repair the scratches in the crystal before I press it out. They are quite deep though so now that I'm this far I think I would like to replace it.  Also I would like to give the case a good clean and remove the scratches. 

20171222_144054.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmcfadd said:

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the advice. It came out from the front after all. I just had to find the correct place to insert the knife.  I will have a look if I can repair the scratches in the crystal before I press it out. They are quite deep though so now that I'm this far I think I would like to replace it.  Also I would like to give the case a good clean and remove the scratches. 

20171222_144054.jpg

You could probably fit a generic crystal instead of the original . With a new plastic gasket. Take care not to break the crystal when reinstall the combo. Been there done that as they say :) 

1 hour ago, digginstony said:

Never would of took that to be a frontloader.

If you look at the pics, the dial is slightly bigger than the back opening. I didn't do forensics pixel counting, but you get the idea :)

The ring (circlip or not) which the OP correctly identified to overlap the mov.t is meant to keep it firmly sandwiched even with caseback removed for battery changes. 

If you look at the pics, the dial is slightly bigger than the back opening. I didn't do forensics pixel counting, but you get the idea [emoji4]
The ring (circlip or not) which the OP correctly identified to overlap the mov.t is meant to keep the it firmly sandwiched even with caseback removed for battery changes. 
Interesting but I thought the movement was screwed into the ring and if they came out together and that's why I didn't bear relevance to the overlap [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, pmcfadd said:

20171222_144054.jpg

Well done. The answer is always there if you stare hard enough at the parts!

Well done. The answer is always there if you stare hard enough at the parts!
Interesting to know what those holes were and their purpose. It was a good observation and a circlip fixing, a very sound idea.
Also a sprung circlip could aid shock protection to the movement.
I never come across a movement so fixed but hopefully there's always time [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks,   I have now cleaned the case and it's looking good. Been working on the crystal and have managed to get all the scratches out but having trouble getting back to a polished finish at the moment. I have really enjoyed the project though.