rolex out of sync

i have a 1991 rolex sub cal 3135 model 16618 that developed a strange problem, the hands moved out of sync  in that if the minute hand was on 12 the hour hand would be between 7 & 8 and not reading 8 o'clock, this happened on all the hours and also the date stopped changing at midnight, after a day the hands went back to normal and so far it appears to be running ok again but the date now changes at 8:40 instead of midnight. as the dial is made of lapis lazuli i am wary of taking it apart in case i damage it but i dont see any other option, the obvious answer would be just to remove the hands and reset them but does anyone have any idea what might have caused this in the first place.

Oh boy, that's out of my depth, but I might as well take a shot.
Basically sounds like either the cannon pinion or hour wheel can move independantly, sometimes. Loose canon pinion or worn out hour wheel washer (if it has one and not something else?) 

I obviously don't have to tell you to be careful, but if you are going to attempt this it sounds like it would be worth investing in that bergeon hand lift that doesnt touch the dial. I've actually used one before, and normally id just say they were just 'okay' but for a something like this I'd assume essential. better safe than sorry. I love lapis but as a dial material i'd guess it just as fragile as mother of pearl, which cracks if you look at it funny.

Good luck, no doubt the people below me will be more helpful. 

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

It sound to me like someone has been at this watch that didn't know what the were doing.  

My money is on either a damaged or missing hour wheel/dial washer as this would allow the hour wheel slide in and out of gear depending on the position the watch is in.  Dial up it would be in gear, dial down it could slip down the shaft and out of gear.

• Like 2

Oh boy, that's out of my depth, but I might as well take a shot.
Basically sounds like either the cannon pinion or hour wheel can move independantly, sometimes. Loose canon pinion or worn out hour wheel washer (if it has one and not something else?) 

I obviously don't have to tell you to be careful, but if you are going to attempt this it sounds like it would be worth investing in that bergeon hand lift that doesnt touch the dial. I've actually used one before, and normally id just say they were just 'okay' but for a something like this I'd assume essential. better safe than sorry. I love lapis but as a dial material i'd guess it just as fragile as mother of pearl, which cracks if you look at it funny.

Good luck, no doubt the people below me will be more helpful. 

It sound to me like someone has been at this watch that didn't know what the were doing.  

My money is on either a damaged or missing hour wheel/dial washer as this would allow the hour wheel slide in and out of gear depending on the position the watch is in.  Dial up it would be in gear, dial down it could slip down the shaft and out of gear.

i bought the watch 2 years ago from a very reputable dealer of vintage and rare watches and have worn it fairly regularly and it has worked fine up until now. It was one owner from new but came with no box or papers so i sent it back to rolex to see what they would say, their report just said to service and replace hands and i am assuming they took the dial off to assess it but perhaps they did'nt as their report never mentioned  parts missing or anything else. i never let them do any work on it because i wanted it kept original and the rolex dealership that i used to send it back said the same thing, do not let them change anything. tbh there is nothing wrong with the hands that we could see it was just rolex being ultra picky. That would make sense the cannon pinion or hour wheel/washer, now if only i can get that dial off .:wacko:

Why and how did the watch correct itself in 24 hours? It maybe that the hour hand is not gripping the hour wheel as tightly as it should. There must of been a reason Rolex advised changing the hands.
Not that I own a Rolex but I believe when servicing, they replace parts of the movement that are prone to wear as a matter of routine rather than necessity before faults develope. Thus maintaining their reputation of being a manufacturer of a quality product.
Also the date change has altered to 08.40. I think something is binding somewhere which caused the problem.
Have you tried contacting Mark, he may have a good idea what the problem might be.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

If it ran fine for few years then something has come loose/undone. The Rolex 3135 caliber is designed for the date change at 12.00. What ever the fault it will require an inspection of the dial side to determine the fault. This is a fairly simple job if you have the correct tools and experience,if not take it to a good watch repairer.