Surpise gift

atimegoneby

Yesterday we went to visit our old neighbours for tea & mince pies before Christmas.

When we arrived they presented me with an old leather bound box, inside was a collection of vintage watches like a mini treasure chest,  Swiss makes I've not heard of before plus others,

one even working !

enough to keep me busy for a while.   :)

WP_20161219_23_11_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20161219_23_11_32_Pro.jpg

• Like 5

I never ceases to amaze me that we all apparently speak the same language, but at times the meanings are completely lost as words travel across the pond.

A Mince pie that one would have around Christmas has no meat in it even though it sounds like it should. It is filled with dried spiced fruit, although at one time it would appear it did also contain meat. The Wikipedia link goes into more detail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mince_pie

Nice score atimegoneby, wish I had neighbours like that, although I can't complain as my parents have offered me the family Ansonia Triumph clock when I feel confident enough to service a clock that has been in the family for over 120 years

8 hours ago, Tmuir said:

I never ceases to amaze me that we all apparently speak the same language, but at times the meanings are completely lost as words travel across the pond.

A Mince pie that one would have around Christmas has no meat in it even though it sounds like it should. It is filled with dried spiced fruit, although at one time it would appear it did also contain meat. The Wikipedia link goes into more detail. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mince_pie

Nice score atimegoneby, wish I had neighbours like that, although I can't complain as my parents have offered me the family Ansonia Triumph clock when I feel confident enough to service a clock that has been in the family for over 120 years

Thanks Tmuir. I've never eaten mince pie, and your description is a great one! 

J

• 3 weeks later...