Longines Cal 284 Set lever screw sheared

mikepilk

Bought my first Longines this week, a lovely Cal 284.

Stripping it for a clean, I discovered why I had difficulty getting the stem out - the the set lever screw has sheared off.

I know the set lever is part #443, but I'm not sure what the part number for the screw is ?

I'll probably need both parts as I can't see how to get the broken screw out without damaging the lever thread. I tried a screwdriver, but the top of the broken screw is flat.

Then the problem of finding the parts - Cousins don't have them, I can get the set lever from the USA, but can't find the screw anywhere.

Can anyone help please ?

Still0020.jpg

11 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

if you now the size of the thread and how the screw looks? Couldn't you get a replacement screw from Cousinsuk generic sortiment. 

Unfortunately there's a shoulder on the screw which sits in the plate. 

Still0023.jpg

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Unfortunately there's a shoulder on the screw which sits in the plate. 

Still0023.jpg

I have a few of those in different sizes. But we need to now a few sizes . Like the thread and the diameter of the shoulder? The other lengths could be cut right lengths? 

Thanks for the info, I've emailed all of the above.

I tried again to remove the broken screw but without success. I've ordered a new lever from the USA.

If I can't get a genuine screw, Cousins do a set of 100 various set lever screws - one should be close enough to use.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Thanks for the info, I've emailed all of the above.

I tried again to remove the broken screw but without success. I've ordered a new lever from the USA.

If I can't get a genuine screw, Cousins do a set of 100 various set lever screws - one should be close enough to use.

Maybe not the best but a normal screw could work? With the right size head? If you can't find the right one with a shoulder?