Stained parts, what is it and how to clean them?

jguitron

Hello all,

I'm cleaning a Seiko 6139 and have 3 parts that simply won't clean up. I've put the movement through the standard wash and rinse cycles, then on rusted parts, black tea did the trick beautifully and yet these 3 items won't clear.

They appear to be old oil stains but all other parts that had oil cleared nicely.

Now I'm thinking on putting them in vinagre but wanted to get your opinion first.

Thank you for your time!

5e7907b9ae118df4ce1fc69fafe3fad5.jpg

ca55b2c3c2544614007b4db5b8046c8e.jpg

eecd744451597e24713f38a2c6135745.jpg

c0ac264216bc5566b4dc3a777efe54e7.jpg

9f53696d2c6267cf39640af810bc12dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its clean the i would not bother. Just put it back togather. Are these parts viewable?

Did You blow the washing liquid off of the parts? If the drops are driying on them then it will be stained.

But if You want to make them properly then scrub the surface with pegwood dipped in diamond powdered paste. 

• Like 1

What cleaning method did you first use? clockboy mentioned coca-cola that should work another is cider. Again brasso I would think is best, a lightly brushing and then rinse.  

Sounds like instructions from a dentist. :D

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 3

If its clean the i would not bother. Just put it back togather. Are these parts viewable?

Did You blow the washing liquid off of the parts? If the drops are driying on them then it will be stained.

But if You want to make them properly then scrub the surface with pegwood dipped in diamond powdered paste. 

Thank you I'll look into the paste.

Once rinsed they immediately are spun in a heated area. Come out dry ( and hot!)

19 minutes ago, ro63rto said:

looks more like plating coming off than stains?

Its stained. There is nothing wrong with the plating. if it was the plating it would blistering and flaking off.

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1

The staining is probably the rust converted to a ferrous compound which will now be stable and should be ok.  You could clean as indicated in replies above if you wish to get rid of it. You can find replacement parts here if you want to go this route. 

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/schillachi61/_i.html?rt=nc&_nkw=6139&_sid=837287993&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2

• Like 1

The staining is probably the rust converted to a ferrous compound which will now be stable and should be ok.  You could clean as indicated in replies above if you wish to get rid of it. You can find replacement parts here if you want to go this route. 

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/schillachi61/_i.html?rt=nc&_nkw=6139&_sid=837287993&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2

What a fantastic trove of 6139 parts! Thank you for sharing the link. This allows me to push my luck a bit [emoji12]

Thank to everyone taking the time to reply.

Cheers!