Getting Supplies is so hard here......

I made a special trip out to the only watch repairer supplier I know where I live to buy waterless watch cleaning fluids and they were out of stock of the cleaner and only had the rinse.

They told me they had it on back order but as it has to come via sea from the USA they wont have it back in stock until January.

I now either wait until January or buy it from over east and pay an extra $30 odd for freight, not happy!

I feel better now my rant is over. :D

Things might improve in the future. When the UK is finally out of the European union it will be looking for trade deals with the rest of the world & Australia is one of those. With no import /export tariffs you will be able to purchase without to much expense.
Hopefully

8 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Things might improve in the future. When the UK is finally out of the European union it will be looking for trade deals with the rest of the world & Australia is one of those. With no import /export tariffs you will be able to purchase without to much expense.
Hopefully

Here in Hungary I am currently very happy that GBP is so cheap now :) Never bought from the UK before but now won some items there on biddings worth ~90 GBP. Also plan to buy degussit midget files and enamel powders.

3 hours ago, Restorationtime said:

Hi Tmuir

Where are you from?

I live in Perth, Western Australia.

I'm aware of two shops where I live that primarily supply jewellers, with just small amounts of watchmaker tools and materials and just about everything else needs to be ordered in, or found on ebay.

There used to be a third that was really good, but unfortunately that went out of business a few years back.

Australians already enjoy tax free shopping on the Internet. Their VAT (GST) exempt limit is AUD 1,000 altough there are talks of reducing it.
http://www.border.gov.au/Busi/cargo-support-trade-and-goods/importing-goods/importing-by-post-or-mail

Here in Hungary I am currently very happy that GBP is so cheap now [emoji4] Never bought from the UK before but now won some items there on biddings worth ~90 GBP.

Check that if you can have the purchase made by someone with a VAT number, Cousins will not apply that amount (20%) to your order.

5 hours ago, jdm said:

Australians already enjoy tax free shopping on the Internet. Their VAT (GST) exempt limit is AUD 1,000 altough there are talks of reducing it.
http://www.border.gov.au/Busi/cargo-support-trade-and-goods/importing-goods/importing-by-post-or-mail

Yes but that is set to end on 1st July 2017 I think, but the government have yet to explain how they will enforce it and I worry we will end up with a system like you have in the UK where they will use a private company to work out the GST we will have to pay and then you will get a bill for $5 GST plus $20 for the private company to work out you owe $5 GST before you can get your parcel.

I don't pay VAT when I buy from Cousins as it is being shipped out of the EU and atleast until July 1st 2017 as long as the total cost including postage is under $1000 I also don't pay GST.

But anything that is flammable like cleaning fluids I buy would have to come by sea, that is if Cousins would even sell them to me as the hassle for them may not make it worth their while.

7 hours ago, Tmuir said:

Yes but that is set to end on 1st July 2017 I think, but the government have yet to explain how they will enforce it and I worry we will end up with a system like you have in the UK where they will use a private company to work out the GST we will have to pay and then you will get a bill for $5 GST plus $20 for the private company to work out you owe $5 GST before you can get your parcel.

The exemption amount will likely be reduced but not eliminated. Different countries have different amounts, e.g. the UK  has £15 or  £35 for gifts, the US has $800 (recently increased), my EU country has 45 for non commercial items sent between individuals.
Normally if items are sent by post to a country where the postman handles money, tax is paid at delivery. In my country the service fee is €5.50. If sent with a courier they will handle as they want, at delivery or with billing. However in my country nothing is delivered if taxes and fees are not paid.

Edited by jdm

• 2 weeks later...

I feel the pain.

I'm in melbourne and yes, very limited supplies here not that I do much movement work but just getting the tools you feel like you were robbed or paying a tax on them for trying to get them and don't even think about trying to get something in a rush.

11 hours ago, diveboy said:

I'm in melbourne and yes, very limited supplies here not that I do much movement work but just getting the tools you feel like you were robbed or paying a tax on them for trying to get them and don't even think about trying to get something in a rush.

Watchmaking has never been something cheap to get into. Check Chinese and Indian ones which are OK for most regular work.