Staking Table will not lock

jdrichard

Turn that screw underneath, it should improve the situation.

(the larger one in the center, not the small one)

Been working it and oiling it, however, I still need to tap the underneath of the table to unstick the table after I tighten and loosen the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the one on the right is for picking the stake out of the box. That other one looks home made it doesn't match the others. About locking, have you unscrewed it all and cleaned it all out?

Yes I have cleaned it. I adjusted the big screw on the bottom after oiling the hole and I can loosed the table by tapping the edge with a screwdriver. Then I align the hole and and turn the knob at the back to rotate the internal cam, and it does lock. The problem is that when I loosen the knob and thus the cam, the table only loosens slightly and I need to knock it again with a screwdriver to free it up. Would love a cutaway of the stacking tool. Any suggestions. May be internal corrosion.

the table should come right off when the screw is removed, and the knob pulled out. Maybe you have corrosion or gunk under there...

I can't actually pull the screw out after removing the bottom 2 screws. It seems to jam. But what you are saying is that once I pull the rod out the back. The table should lift straight off, correct?

Jdrichard,

The table locking mechanism is a crankshaft type of cam similar to the mechanism used to lock in the head and tail stocks of watchmaker lathes. These mechanisms can become worn with use and may require some machining techniques to bring them back to working order. To isolate the problem place a small shim (tin foil) between the locking cam and the hole in the shaft that pulls the plate down. If it now locks then that is the problem. To fix you will have to build back the cam or the hole.

david

Update on seized staking set. Took out the locking screw and loosened the cam shaft and then knocked out the shaft with a small hammer (scratched the nickel plating on the side a bit, but it needed convincing). Then I removed the table by knocking it with a punch from the bottom. The complete lot fell out. Then I took 1200 grit sandpaper and sanded the hole where the locking cam fits . Did a bit of this as there always some corrosion. Lastly I cleaned the table in lighter fluid and then alcohol and then I re-oiled once dry. Reassembled it and it works like a charm. Loose until I turn the back dial and then tight. Then turn the dial again and the table is once again loose.

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions. I am operational and will be knocking on the balance and roller table once I get the right jewel for a 21 J Illinois PW I have been working on. I am in deep now and have a jeweling set coming in the mail next week. Seitz full set.https://vimeo.com/183234528

• Like 4