watch ticking but hands moving slowly

I am assuming that the seconds hand is ticking normally, but the hour and minute hands are either not moving at all or are losing time erratically.

If this is the case then one of the most common causes is a loose canon pinion. Another symptom of this is a lack of any resistance at the crown when you set the time.

Note: your movement appears to be an AS calibre. I can't tell which one but it looks to be something like a 1950/51 family. AS movements don't always have the canon pinion where you think it should be and the 1950/51 use an off set arrangement with the canon pinion sitting between the setting wheel and the minute wheel.

• Like 2

Marc I think your right about the cal and cannon pinion. Its such along time ago with me I'd forgotten, my brain cells are now working and am I right in thinking the cannon pinion is very short and is difficult to tighten.  

1 hour ago, Marc said:

I am assuming that the seconds hand is ticking normally, but the hour and minute hands are either not moving at all or are losing time erratically.

If this is the case then one of the most common causes is a loose canon pinion. Another symptom of this is a lack of any resistance at the crown when you set the time.

Note: your movement appears to be an AS calibre. I can't tell which one but it looks to be something like a 1950/51 family. AS movements don't always have the canon pinion where you think it should be and the 1950/51 use an off set arrangement with the canon pinion sitting between the setting wheel and the minute wheel.

thanks for the reply I think it's an AS ST 1902/03 I can't remember off the top of my head, when I pull the stem out to set the time it feels fine, they do move but really slowly.

44 minutes ago, BUSAKAZ said:

thanks for the reply I think it's an AS ST 1902/03 I can't remember off the top of my head, when I pull the stem out to set the time it feels fine, they do move but really slowly.

Just to clarify your last statement - when you say "they do move but really slowly".... Are you also saying that they move relatively slow when you use the crown to set the time??

Regardless - it would seem that your issue lies somewhere in the motion work - cannon pinion, minute wheel, hour wheel,... If the tension on the cannon pinion is good, I'd check the alignment of mesh of all these components under the dial...

2 hours ago, sstakoff said:

Just to clarify your last statement - when you say "they do move but really slowly".... Are you also saying that they move relatively slow when you use the crown to set the time??

Regardless - it would seem that your issue lies somewhere in the motion work - cannon pinion, minute wheel, hour wheel,... If the tension on the cannon pinion is good, I'd check the alignment of mesh of all these components under the dial...

when setting the time all seems normal, but in reality 15 mins in normal time the minute hand moves only 2 mins if that makes sense.

Ok so this is a common problem with a AS1900-1906 movement  it has a friction pinion on he intermediate wheel which needs tightening see this thread ive had to replace a couple of them managed to tighten one they are available from cussons

29 minutes ago, Cad101 said:

Ok so this is a common problem with a AS1900-1906 movement  it has a friction pinion on he intermediate wheel which needs tightening see this thread ive had to replace a couple of them managed to tighten one they are available from cussons

thanks

OH on a side note the same friction pinion is used in the 1904,1906 ,1914,1916 ,2064,2066 and 2164,2166  so if you have any parts movements lying about doing nothing use it as a donor.

1 hour ago, Cad101 said:

OH on a side note the same friction pinion is used in the 1904,1906 ,1914,1916 ,2064,2066 and 2164,2166  so if you have any parts movements lying about doing nothing use it as a donor.

I don't have any can you still get part's for this.

Yep find caliber number and cussons have the parts or troll the bay for non working AS movements but there's no guarantee the friction pinion won't be shot on those either cussons would probably be your best bet.

2 hours ago, Cad101 said:

Yep find caliber number and cussons have the parts or troll the bay for non working AS movements but there's no guarantee the friction pinion won't be shot on those either cussons would probably be your best bet.

thanks mate :thumbsu:

9 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Could have some old movement laying around here somewhere? Send me a PM and i should take a look tomorrow. Maybe even a NOS part?  Needs to take a nap first :)

Thanks rogart63 when I get back from my cruise in 2 weeks I will strip it down and have a look what is going on,it's a 1802/03

thanks

• Like 1

Had three old AS 1950 but in everyone of them they had taken the cannon pinion. So i guess the it's a common problem. Have more parts and take a look if i find something. Cruise a little for me also :)

1 hour ago, rogart63 said:

Had three old AS 1950 but in everyone of them they had taken the cannon pinion. So i guess the it's a common problem. Have more parts and take a look if i find something. Cruise a little for me also :)

thanks mate:D