Been away a while and off again

I have not been on for a while and just popped in to say hello to all, been a tad preoccupied with non horological stuff, DIY and Holidays.  Had a couple of weeks in Crete and shortly off to Los Angeles for a month.

After swearing not ot buy anything else until I got my finger out and resolved some of my outstanding projects, I was seduced by a battered Tissot seamaster and a Helbros Bumper for a grand total of $24.00 so they are waiting for me in LA now, it was the Bumper that piqued my interest and the Tissot was just with it in the job lot.  I may pick up a staking set while I am over there.  

I am going to try and find some of those legendary "Flea Markets" in LA, I will be in the Alhambra area and the tinternet has already provided me with several options but if anyone has any local knowledge on good places to get old unloved watches to repair please advise.

Anyway I will look in occasionally from LA using my sons superfast internet and best wishes to all.

Cheers,

Vic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I finally made the decision and I think I did ok for £127 plus £12 postage.  The seller was selling his grandfathers equipment off. The staking set with jewelling attachment is pristine with no blocked holes and just needs a couple of additions like a sprung Jewel centre punch

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from L A again,

well I have been to a flea market and there was a load of watches but mainly 2nd hand modern Quartz. The only guy selling vintage watches was a tad pricey and the watches were beaten up and I could do better on the bay. 

Speaking of which I have bought about 6 watches since being here some working some not but nothing very rare or high value all worked out at about $15 and I would have been put off in the uk by the postage cost but being here it was about $3.50 so at current Brexit rate that is about £15 a pop.  There is a promising looking Waltham and Tissot amongst them and I managed to get an Accutron 214 movement that I need the tuning fork from. Luckily I noticed a tiny screw stuck to it near the coil so I am hoping that proves it retains its magnetism and will work for me. (Top tip - never demagnetise an Accutron hummer - it ain't the same as clockwork), also if the screw is what I think it is that is handy as well !.

Cheers,

Vic

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am back home now and have unpacked the staking set and had a proper look at it. Surprise when I looked inside the staking / jewelling tool.

ff8f949f9d7d186ddee0ebcfd9486ecc.jpg

Turns out I have a K&D No. 600 and when I checked the punches a lot are marked as K&D as well, I have not looked at them all yet but there are 131 and 34 of the stubs.

Quite happy with the way it has turned out though

Thanks Mick,

just got to learn a bit more about how to use it and will go after the book that George suggested. Already found out the small ones are stumps not stubs.  Also managed to download a hi res copy of the K&D manual. Think I may have a nap now all this excitement tires you out !