Don

Slow Day at the Office - Rolex Bubbleback

So I ran out of work a little early today and was browsing around the watch listings on eBay. I found this gorgeous little Rolex Bubbleback 3130. I couldn't quite make out all the inscription on the back and being bored and being a curious person I spent some time trying to find out who it had belonged to. It turns out that it was owned by  Clarence Vincent Conlan (March 10, 1898 - August 23, 1975). He was a career Navy man who graduated from the Naval Academy in 1921 and won the Navy Cross (the second-highest military honor in the United States). He retired with the rank of Rear Admiral. As noted in the inscription, he was the last commander of the USS Monocacy (PG-20). Now if only I could afford the watch...

Edited by Don
typos

1 hour ago, Don said:

So I ran out of work a little early today and was browsing around the watch listings on eBay. I found this gorgeous little Rolex Bubbleback 3130. I couldn't quite make out all the inscription on the back and being bored and being a curious person I spent some time trying to find out who it had belonged to. It turns out that it was owned by  Clarence Vincent Conlan (March 10, 1898 - August 23, 1975). He was a career Navy man who graduated from the Naval Academy in 1921 and won the Navy Cross (the second-highest military honor in the United States). He retired with the rank of Rear Admiral. As noted in the inscription, he was the last commander of the USS Monocacy (PG-20). Now if only I could afford the watch...

You're right, it's a gorgeous watch. But the seller doesn't include any pictures of the movement, nor do they give any information on size. For three thousands bucks, a picture of the movement is an absolute must.

JC

I'm not a fan of modern Rolex, but the early ones, especially bubble backs, are magnificent.  Unlike a lot of folk, I quite like a watch that has been engraved.  There is something nice about knowing it has been such a special part of someone's life.  I would love to own this particular watch.

Joe, the seller has done their best to let you see the workings of the watch without removing the auto-wind mechanism.  It looks in good condition to me, with no chewed screws.  Would I buy it...........you bet I would!

5 hours ago, Geo said:

I'm not a fan of modern Rolex, but the early ones, especially bubble backs, are magnificent.  Unlike a lot of folk, I quite like a watch that has been engraved.  There is something nice about knowing it has been such a special part of someone's life.  I would love to own this particular watch.

Joe, the seller has done their best to let you see the workings of the watch without removing the auto-wind mechanism.  It looks in good condition to me, with no chewed screws.  Would I buy it...........you bet I would!

I'm not a Rolex fan either...but these oldies are so nice an uncluttered. Yes I see now that the caseback HAS been removed. It looks great even with the one screw for the rotor missing. If it were for auction, would I place a bid? Maybe!

JC

6 hours ago, Geo said:

I agree about the engraving. I like old watches and even more if there's a history behind them.

On June 9, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Don said:

I love watches with personal inscriptions on the back.  I find myself often Googling the person cited to try and learn a little more of their story and that of the timepiece.  I know they aren't popular with collectors but to me it's an added value; I'd rather hold in my hand a watch with history than an unloved piece which lived in a drawer.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By beastomaniac
      My Rolex Submariner cal. 3135 won't hack from time to time when I pull out the crown. Is it some kind of lubrication or mechanical issue, is it easily fixable without tearing the whole movement apart?
    • By east3rn
      Hello. Dear watchmakers.
      I have a very old timepiece from Rolex that I am about to work on..
      From googling, I found out that this is called "trench watch" that might had been used during WWI or any other war in that era ( 1910~1920)
      However, I could not figure out the reference no. of the movement. All I know about the movement is that it is 29mm in diameter and has 15 jewels.
      I am actually looking for a replacement movement for this watch since the mainspring must be replaced due to damage.
      Plus, I am also looking for the rachet wheel with "Rolex" engraved to replace the existing one.
      I have found similar movements on the web(the third photo added)  but click part was not the same.
      I wonder if the one with different type of click would have parts that are replaceable.
      To sum up, my questions are
      1) the reference of the movement.
      2) how I can get parts or the whole movement for replacement
      3) does a movement with different click type would be suitable for replacement.
      Thanks and  I wish you a great day.

• By Calvin
      Hello guys
      Why my rolex precision 6466 stops when crown screw down..
      But it runs again when crown not screw down or in manual wind position?
      It stops when the crown enter too deep inside the movement..
      Thankyou
    • By Calvin
      Hello guys..
      My Rolex precision oysterdate date won,t change
      It stuck on 30 and won,t change even i try to set time to the next day.. and the next..
      What happen to this watch?
      Thankyou
    • By Calatrava
      Hi everyone,
      Quite some time ago (a good few years) I was wearing my Rolex datejust 1601 in London in heavy rain and high humidity (obviously a British summer). Anyway I noticed that quite a lot of condensation appeared in my watch. I know I know I should have taken it to an horologist straight away but alas. Anyway I pulled out the crown hoping it would allow the moisture to escape. This seems to have worked however the dial is now covered in watermarks which I can only assume are calcium deposits. 
      I have seen a thread on the forums where someone removed a small watermark gently using purified distilled water. As you can see in the photo these marks cover the whole of the sunburst dial. Do you think this might be the best way? Or perhaps an incredibly gentle solvent? Naturally I want to be incredibly gentle, especially as I would have to go over the printed text and around the tritium.
      I have opened the watch up and taken a very tiny look at the movement and all seems fine - runs accurate and no sign of rust or displaced oils however do you think it's best just to send it in for a service and hope the watchmaker can fix the dial? 
      Hold me and tell me everything will be okay.