ETA2824-2 Timegraph Readings

Hello All,

Last night, I finished up servicing my first ETA2824-2.  The service went well and the Timegrapher "seems" to show decent results.  My question to you all is:  should I have serviced it? (14 years old, lol)  Are the readings now decent?  (I think 278 is low but was told it is normal for a 2824-2)  Thanks in advance!

Before Service:
Amplitude 209-214
Beat Error 1.1 ms
Rate -246/sec per day or worse

After Service:
Amplitude 278-286
Beat Error 0.1 ms (best I could do but I'm happy with it)
Rate +4 sec/day (not the best I could do but it was getting late, lol)

Yes, I took a few after pics but no progress shots because I didn't want to compromise my work:D  I am also VERY proud of myself for properly sharpening my screwdrivers and NOT damaging/scratching the movement!  (this was quite a challenge for me) 

IMG_20160518_100027765_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160518_101918582_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160518_100036140.jpg

Edited by jeffc83

Thank you both!  I was truly hoping it wasn't a problem; now I'm excited to check it again:)  So if I may ask, when the amplitude is in the low 200's, should it be serviced or could I have waited a little longer without causing harm?  I have to admit, 14+ years with no service is amazing in itself so I felt that it needed it just going by the length of time! :D

Well, 5 year service period is recommended since the oil itself (even without using the watch) have tendency to polymerize (getting thicker). Ths means not just lower rate, but worse lubrication and faster wearing as well. Nothing wrong with the service if You dont ruin the parts :)

Thanks for confirming!  To me, this was a really fun, exciting project and I enjoyed it a lot more than the 40-60's vintage movements I've worked on. (they have been the only movements  I've been working on for over a year now, they all started looking the same after a while)

I've attached an image out of the eta manufacturing information with the timing results they expect from this watch.

The problem with waiting long periods of time before servicing your watch is a variety of problems can pop up not always visible on the timing machine. For instance rust because the gaskets breakdown with time especially on the crown. Rust makes a really nice grinding compound. Then of course the lubrication's don't last forever they can do a variety of things usually none of them good over time. Then it just depends on how much you using your watch taking out occasionally couple times a year conceivably might never have to service the watch ever again they're just not going to be enough where. But on a watch being worn on a daily basis past five years and a little moisture the cost of servicing will go up considerably conceivably reaching a point of time where the watch grinds itself to dust and I can't be serviced.

Eta-2824-2 timing.JPG

• Like 2

@JohnR725 Wow, thanks for the spec sheet! (saved for future reference of course)  Interesting, I wore the watch for a few years on and off (maybe had 10 total at the time) then stored it away for the next 10-12 in a safe. (room temp with silicon gel packets everywhere, lol)  I still find it amazing that it still read the amplitude it did but it was certainly on the low side.  I can now see that I could have caused damage to the movement by running it dry like that.  Good point on the gaskets too;  I carefully checked them then lubricated.  About an hour later, I changed my mind and swapped them out. (didn't want to chance a 14+ year old seal)  Now I need to get a waterproof tester to verify my work on that end as well;)

@oldhippy  Darn straight!  This is the reason why I got into watch-repairing/servicing to begin with:)  I work in I.T. and have well over 300 watches in my collection but do not have the millions needed to service them all since I do work in I.T.;)  All joking aside, that really is what got me into it...I had so many watches that were in need of a service and once the crown/stem popped out of one, that was the end of my "non" watch repair days!  Over a year later, I have not come up for a breath of air.  ALL my free time goes into this and I am more than happy doing it on a daily basis.  I envy the fact you worked on clocks for a living, awesome job to have, especially when I cannot get enough of the hobby!!!!

Edited by jeffc83
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2016 at 4:26 PM, MrBeat said:

Now see i really quite like that watch :) you have done a great job there :thumbsu:

The movement looks lovely and clean and timing no doubt is going to be ding dong, you should be proud :)

Thank you so much for the kind words, means a lot!  This was a big one for me since I didn't want to destroy a watch that's been in my collection for so many years.  Glad it worked out for the better:D