Unbalanced Roskopf pin pallet lever

While tackling around in the Roskopf balance i noticed that the pin pallet lever is far from being balanced. Had no problem like this in smaller watches but reading a bit in watchmaking books it seems that this part need a good poise. What do You thin? Shall i file down from the fork end and/or add more weight on the other end?

I would leave it as it is.  It has obviously been specifically designed that way with a specific mass of metal deliberately distributed and shaped.

If you were to remove metal, you will probably speed up the escapement and take it out of the range that the regulator is capable of compensating for.

• Like 2

Well, just imagine both the lever rotation axis and the lever itself are in horizontal position (e.g the watch is in my pocket). There is different push on the balance in the two directions from the fork. Bigger downwards and lower upwards (if the fork end is heavier). Measured that before stripping down the movement, it even stopped sometimes on the position mentioned. There was no problem (not that big difference in rate and amplitude) if the rotation axis or the pallet (or both) were vertical. There must be some weight balance!

It has to be mentioned, at that time it has a wobbling balance caused by the untrue balance wheel and the worn balance bushings. But if this would be the problem source then it would have stopped if the pallet fork is vertical and the balance axis is horizontal.

I can change the balance spring length, since it is fixed by a pin. Rate adjustment (or shaping the spring if needed) should be no problem.

I didnt noticed that the pins have different thickness. Will replace the thinner.

Meanwhile, i have found a nice procedure for pin pallet escapement service:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gukk9my456xi2gt/AAAqpVVbth5uxnTJ_T60YIV5a?dl=0

• Like 1