Can't remove the movement of a Waltham Pocket Watch

Hi all.

I'm trying to remove the movement of a Waltham model 1908 pocket watch but to no avail. I know it should come out of the front once the case screws are removed, and the stem is moved to the setting position (the stem is actually a square that engages in the keyless works), and with a bit of a wiggle, but I've tried everything and it just won't come out as the stem is obviously hanging up instead of becoming free. If you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate hearing them.

The photo shows that I've almost totally dismantled it, and yes the front part of the case is off in case you're wondering.

Thanks in advance.

P4253451.JPG

You have to get the crown and winding stem up into the setting position otherwise you will never get it out.

The stem is held in place with a type of split collet and sometimes they can be a real b*******r to move.

As there is no sign of rust in the stem area I would think that if you gave it a good dose of oil as suggested by oldhippy then just give the crown a real hard pull but make sure you keep it straight or you run the risk of snapping it.

At times I have been frightened by the amount of force required to move a stem into the setting position.

Just be brave and go for it.

When you have the movement out you can then look at why it is so stiff any perhaps adjust it a bit to make it easier.

Sorry folks, I don't want to sound dense or anything but where exactly do I apply the oil? Please reference it to the photo that started this thread. I have, of course, already pulled the crown/stem out to the setting position but to no avail. Also, Vinn3 states:

if you can grasp the  inner end of the  stem,  just unscrew the crown and pull the stem  inward.  that collet, retainer and sometimes  a seal are a separate problem.   And also:

a  good  penetrating oil and   a little  heat,  then try to  turn the retaining nut ( with  the special wrench),  this is after the crown is removed. 

Frankly, I'm not sure how to go about either of these suggestions so would you be so kind as to explain in better detail, and again if you could reference it to the photo at the top of the page, it's worth at least one beer - just tell the bartender Roger said to charge it to his account. This will work in any bar - honest!

Are you sure that the crown and stem are definitely in the setting position.

The stem and crown do not have to come all the way out to remove the movement.

Assuming the stem is in the setting position and the case screws are out all you should need to do is press the movement at the bottom i.e.. opposite end to the crown and it will start to come away from the bottom end at an angle as the stem is still partway into the movement. with a bit of wiggling the movement should move away slightly from the watch and you should be able to pull it down and out of the case leaving a short length of stem showing.

Don't try to just push the whole lot straight out of the case as it won't come as the stem is still holding the top end of the movement in. It has got to be at an angle and move down and out.

Will try to post some photos for you.

1 and 2 show the angle of the movement coming out of the case. Pushing from the back.

3 shows the winding stem in the setting position and as you can see it still sticks out a bit.RAY10972.JPGRAY10971.JPGRAY10969.JPGRAY10965.JPG

4 shows the winding stem fully in the normal winding position.

I got it out, thanks for all the great advice, and especially Alaskamick and his photos. It's really rather scary to have to apply that much force to get the movement out as I always equate watch repairs with gentleness but this was a fairly brutal procedure.

Don't forget to have a beer on my.

• Like 1