Regulating A Watch Using An Android Tablet

Here, I'm regulation a Seiko SKXA35 Diver. The trick is to first adjust the beat error as needed to make sure the back arm of the Palate for is in the center of the two banking posts/pins. This ensures that the palate fork evenly releases and grabs the Escapement wheel (the ticking sound you hear in an automatic watch. The program I use is Tickoprint, which is a tab version of a Timegrapher tool. Once you have the beat error accurate, you then nudge the Hairspring adjustment leaver left or right depending whether you need to speed up or slow down the watch. Tightening the Hairspring will speed up the watch and Loosening it will slow the watch down. Note that before you adjust the beat error you can see what adjusting the speed does to the beat error as well. Some times the beat error will correct when you adjust the Hairspring tension. Another note, do not touch the Hairspring at all when adjusting the watch...not good. As well, I find the the blade of a screwdriver does a better job than a toothpick for extremely small adjustments. Finally, you can only test along one axis the way I have shown, which should be good enough. However, if you really want to assess the true accuracy of your watch, you would need to adjust and test along 5 different positions. I, however, would say 3 positions (face up, face down and sideways) will result in you not missing any meetings. If you have any questions, please ask.

https://youtu.be/aFNAT9835K4

From Canada

Here, I'm regulation a Seiko SKXA35 Diver. The trick is to first adjust the beat error as needed to make sure the back arm of the Palate for is in the center of the two banking posts/pins. This ensures that the palate fork evenly releases and grabs the Escapement wheel (the ticking sound you hear in an automatic watch. The program I use is Tickoprint, which is a tab version of a Timegrapher tool. Once you have the beat error accurate, you then nudge the Hairspring adjustment leaver left or right depending whether you need to speed up or slow down the watch. Tightening the Hairspring will speed up the watch and Loosening it will slow the watch down. Note that before you adjust the beat error you can see what adjusting the speed does to the beat error as well. Some times the beat error will correct when you adjust the Hairspring tension. Another note, do not touch the Hairspring at all when adjusting the watch...not good. As well, I find the the blade of a screwdriver does a better job than a toothpick for extremely small adjustments. Finally, you can only test along one axis the way I have shown, which should be good enough. However, if you really want to assess the true accuracy of your watch, you would need to adjust and test along 5 different positions. I, however, would say 3 positions (face up, face down and sideways) will result in you not missing any meetings. If you have any questions, please ask.

https://youtu.be/aFNAT9835K4

From Canada

Please ignore any spelling or crazy word errors, tab auto correct was on:) Palate Fork not Palate For

From Canada

Here's an app that I find very useful for checking timepieces that don't work well with my timegrapher. Clocks, pocket watches and the wrist watches can be checked using this. The graphical representation is good for showing up cyclic issues as well just timing accuracy that is compared against atomic time.

post-124-0-49829600-1458602822_thumb.jpe

Here's an app that I find very useful for checking timepieces that don't work well with my timegrapher. Clocks, pocket watches and the wrist watches can be checked using this. The graphical representation is good for showing up cyclic issues as well just timing accuracy that is compared against atomic time.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hey thanks Geo. I will check this one out. Would be good to do an actual longer term comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/25/2016 at 8:21 PM, jdrichard said:

I am having a jig made to hold the watch for regulating and to be able to deal with 4 positions. It will be machined from aluminum with a stand and a movable holder with an imbedded mic

How much that will cost? A standard timegrapher microphone supporting any position is $95.

How much that will cost? A standard timegrapher microphone supporting any position is $95.

I actually use a mic from some ear buds. This works very well. All you meet is three positions and you can rubber band the mic to the back of the watch and simply position the movement. Cut the ear bud wire off after the mic and you are set23f3b7b76331523595dc16958640e5be.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jdrichard said:

I actually use a mic from some ear buds. This works very well. All you meet is three positions and you can rubber band the mic to the back of the watch and simply position the movement. 

Personally I like to regulate the watch dial down on the microphone stand itself. It places it in an ideal position, I can see in real time the effects and I don't to place or remove anything to test across positions, winding, etc,

Personally I like to regulate the watch dial down on the microphone stand itself. It places it in an ideal position, I can see in real time the effects and I don't to place or remove anything to test across positions, winding, etc,

I'm actually having a jig made by a machinist. It will hold the mic in a grove and hold the movement down on the mic while it can be moved into various positions.