Starting Watch Repair/servicing.

You just need to test yourself and develop manual skills. So anything free or below $5 a piece is OK. There are new Chinese watches going for this price. You can also buy lots of bare Seiko movements for $10 on ebay.

Whats the best movement to start training?

Send from outer space

Whats the best movement to start training?

Any that can you bin without regret as mentioned before. Once you are able to take something apart and put in back in same or better conditions from what it was before you can think about moving on. Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

Any that can you bin without regret as mentioned before. Once you are able to take something apart and put in back in same or better conditions from what it was before you can think about moving on.

because someone in a previous thread talked about a pocket watch. I thought it would be easiest to start with.

But youre right any cheap of free movement/watch Will do.

Send from outer space

It is said that one should start large with large antique movements. I don't agree, better that you get real right away with common men wristwatches, mech. or quarts indifferently. Only with these you can tell if you like the hobby without wasting too much time and money.

• Like 1

It is said that one should start large with large antique movements. I don't agree, better that you get real right away with common men wristwatches, mech. or quarts indifferently. Only with these you can tell if you like the hobby without wasting too much time and money.

Fair enough.

Send from outer space

There is a learning curve that requires time and money...nothing is free and/or comes overnight! Just remember that any trade/skill needs its dues! Even for a hobby...

Find a CURRENT pocket watch movement still ticking. It is standard to recommend/use an ETA 6498 or its original version in UNITAS, available for about $50. Then you can move on to smaller watches. Seiko's 7S26 and family make good starting watches too but they are smaller: 16 vs. 11 1/2 lignes respectively. Also Asian/Japanese watches are not always the Swiss type so expect to deal with a new concept...in principle it is all the same, in design there are plenty of differences.

Pitfalls/techniques that need to be solved/addressed immediately while learning are: tweezers manipulation/skills, gentle touch, parts management and manipulation, hairspring skills, mainspring skills and definitely all sort of springs manipulation, jewel care and handling, assembly and disassembly techniques, cleaning techniques, lubrication techniques...there is simply a lot to learn (those are just the basics) and plenty of room for improvement...and don't forget your tools maintenance either or the case parts and restoration if you are casing or working also with a "second hand" watch. Those parts include the dial, hands, bezels, gaskets, etc, just to name a few. The list goes on and on for everything movement/watch learning curve.

IMHO

• Like 2

Good luck with your enterprise.

I think you will have to spend a lot of time learning about watches  and becoming proficient before you inflict yourself on an unsuspecting customer. I have been doing it as a hobby now for just on a year, mainly I have specialized in Seiko's, Mainly because there are lots of beat up watches to be had cheap, so far I have bought and restored about 50 junk watches to running condition, parts are not so much a problem to me as I buy donor movements for spares.

Working on a watch for a customer would be a different kettle of fish as you will have to guarantee your work and stand behind your repairs so every watch must leave you in as near new condition as possible and sourcing parts is not always easy or inexpensive.

The outlay in tools and equipment is also quite considerable, I have spent over $2000 so far and only have what I consider basic tools.

So I would suggest you start as a hobbyist and gain experience and see where that takes you, I am not being negative or trying to put you off the idea but there is a lot to take into account, and customers can be difficult cattle.

Max

• Like 1

Dont get me wrong max. Im not starting a bussines i just want to repair and service my own watches. Maybe of a friend if he dares and im confident that i can do it. I know watchmaking is a skill you dont master over a Day.

But thanks for your clear explanation.

Send from outer space

Edited by mr104x

If you want to start watch repairing start with a large pocket watch most of the movement will be very like a manual wrist watch, you will be able to get the basic work of the construction, taking it apart and putting it back and finding what goes where.

If you want to start watch repairing start with a large pocket watch most of the movement will be very like a manual wrist watch, you will be able to get the basic work of the construction, taking it apart and putting it back and finding what goes where.

Any suggestions what kind of a pocketwatch?

Maybe some names of watches i can look for?

Send from outer space

Find a CURRENT pocket watch movement still ticking. It is standard to recommend/use an ETA 6498 or its original version in UNITAS, available for about $50. Then you can move on to smaller watches. Seiko's 7S26 and family make good starting watches too but they are smaller: 16 vs. 11 1/2 lignes respectively. Also Asian/Japanese watches are not always the Swiss type so expect to deal with a new concept...in principle it is all the same, in design there are plenty of differences.

The above paragraph contains excellent advice from Bob. He mentions "current pocket watch", this is because some of the antique ones bear little resemblance to a modern wristwatches that you intend servicing. A modern pocket watch should have a similar movement to a modern wristwatch and would be a good choice if you go that route.

Really listen to what these guys are telling you. They know their business. I've dabbled with watches for 2 or 3 years and don't even want to go into the horror stories of my the early days. I must of spent well over a £1000 on the basic tools and am still collecting and constantly learning but good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm happy to have spent much less than what is mentioned here and still be able to play break and fix at will. The most expensive item I've bought is the timegrapher at $150. I'm going to order a demagnetizer for $33 tonight. I think it's an affordable hobby as long one doesn't say lathe or Bergeon full-set this and that.