Listen to that little voice in your head

Why is it when that little voice says, "This is a bad idea," we always want to talk ourselves out of it?

I had the low blood sugar jitters earlier, but insisted to myself that I'd be able to oil an especially tiny cap jewel on my friend's Omega 1001. With lots of concentration, I nailed it.

image.png.10deb1c64aaebe008baaf7f270b60280.png

But when I put the hole jewel on top, it was too much oil and it squoze out everywhere. It didn't spread on the cap jewel much thanks to the epliame I'd applied, so it was more than it looked like from the top.

Back in the cleaner, dried, re-epilamed, dried. Time for a second try, but now I was more shaky even than the first time.

"This is a bad idea," my brain told me.

"Take a hike, brain," I said as I watched the oiler jiggle into my microscope's frame.

And just like that, the jewel was a tiddlywink and flew out of sight in the blink of an eye.

With a strong UV flashlight and the waste of a lot of time I did find it on my desk, but that's some stress I didn't need in my day.

So friends, listen to your body, and listen to your brain when it tells you now's not the time for precision work.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, ManSkirtBrew said:

Why is it when that little voice says, "This is a bad idea," we always want to talk ourselves out of it?

I had the low blood sugar jitters earlier, but insisted to myself that I'd be able to oil an especially tiny cap jewel on my friend's Omega 1001. With lots of concentration, I nailed it.

But when I put the hole jewel on top, it was too much oil and it squoze out everywhere. It didn't spread on the cap jewel much thanks to the epliame I'd applied, so it was more than it looked like from the top.

Back in the cleaner, dried, re-epilamed, dried. Time for a second try, but now I was more shaky even than the first time.

"Take a hike, brain," I said as I watched the oiler jiggle into my microscope's frame.

And just like that, the jewel was a tiddlywink and flew out of sight in the blink of an eye.

With a strong UV flashlight and the waste of a lot of time I did find it on my desk, but that's some stress I didn't need in my day.

So friends, listen to your body, and listen to your brain when it tells you now's not the time for precision work.

Haha now you know. Feed that blood sugar up to where its stable. 

19 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

When I hear that voice in my head and I start talking back. I'll know it's off to the funny farm for me. 🤣

When we're younger its the voice of reason, when we're older and it tells us to do unreasonable things then it's the voice of insanity. Not to worry you wont be alone we're all heading in that direction sooner or later 🙂

1 minute ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Have a few beers, full of sugar and we all know being drunk is perfect for watch repair.  

When we're drunk we think it's a perfect state for doing lots of things 😅.  Sooooo glad i dont drink anymore, can you imagine?  😆

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rossjackson01 said:

Never touched alcohol in my life. I don't need alcohol to be stupid. Just comes naturally.

I've never touched my life without alcohol 🤣.  I'm your complete opposite Ross

Edited by mikepilk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, mikepilk said:

I usually don't need to reapply epilame.

I probably don't either, but it's peace of mind for me after re-cleaning the jewel. Maybe I'm too **BLEEP** retentive for my own good.

I'm a teetotaler. Many members of my family are alcohol intolerant. 

When I was a baby, my parents gave me a teaspoon of Woodwards Gripe Water and I turned cherry red and passed out for a day. They rushed me to the doctor the next morning and he had a good laugh. Those were the days when baby formulations contained alcohol.

I remember watching a darts competition where one of the contestants said that a certain level of alcohol is needed to calm the nerves and stop the shakes. I wonder if that works in watchmaking. 🤔

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

A method I use now is assemble the jewels & Chaton then hold it steady steady with tweezers and lubricate with an auto oiler. It takes some practice but the controlled amount of oil is absolutely in the middle. 

ps I think I our Mark uses this method 

Edited by clockboy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, clockboy said:

A method I use now is assemble the jewels & Chaton then hold it steady steady with tweezers and lubricate with an auto oiler. It takes some practice but the controlled amount of oil is absolutely in the middle. 

ps I think I our Mark uses this method 

Would like to do it this way, however the cost of an auto oiler is prohibitive. Ah well. 

Although. just seen these and am thinking about them. What do members think? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193591257965?itmmeta=01HYV7YKH2YSFS1X47KGGR9EYV&hash=item2d12f02b6d:g:zLkAAOSw-jBhn1yx&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA4K8V03d7GCxVXExFkKQf8lxskAAWaKftxSv2442lZOV71McerFS9kBH1OEgn0wB3IPBtyUvP29aP67foi0y%2F4LlI0ZzaZGzRrLsn7mAUNCSMsP2%2BNKZ3Rv1U%2FcsB7RQ3MFRAGFOflqxsJHu0GO8IPqbdFaUB3AV5UjVJ3zN1vhhhAmGlwjYVgq5YCPJAZBqhXAJxnxbLlF%2Fswdvog08XJ1KVBBfd2kmSi9PrtslZjkNMkDzyHRAZjLIST6r2mU7oMuNgTyORXznN7f3iykMdd6xBDLEVW4DlGxkSxkihib44|tkp%3ABFBMzrj65_Zj

Edited by rossjackson01
More information

On 5/26/2024 at 4:12 AM, ManSkirtBrew said:

oh boy, I know how that feels!

on the up-side: at least you got that soothing feeling of finally finding the jewel.