Repairing A Worn Barrel Bridge

I was asked to look at a Sekonda that was running for approx. 8/9 hours & then stopping but would run with again with encouragement. When I opened the watch it was extremely dirty But I noticed that under the mainspring barrel there was wear on the plate. After reassembling the barrel & bridge it was apparent that the barrel bridge hole for the barrel was very badly worn. The answer was to re-bush the hole.

post-234-0-35082100-1444034542_thumb.jpg

I had some clock bushes & luckily had a bushing that had the correct size hole. The problem was however the plate was only 0.373mm thick so effectively I had to make a bushing that was not much more than a washer.

I turned the bush down on my lathe to a reasonable working thickness & then reamed out the hole for the new bushing (3.00mm).

post-234-0-83542500-1444034757_thumb.jpg

Then I fitted the bushing using my staking set & tested the hole was correct. After a lot of broaching using a smoothing broach achieved a good fit.

post-234-0-89286300-1444034906_thumb.jpg

I then removed the new bushing & using a soft piece of wood as a base filled & burnished the bush to the correct thickness.

post-234-0-61027400-1444035002_thumb.jpg

Then I finally pushed the new bushing in with my staking tool but added for safety some lock tight to it,s edge as it is a very thin bushing. Job done just the watch to re-assemble.

post-234-0-98294900-1444035082_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Do you use an ultrasonic cleaner or a watch cleaning machine? I've been considering trying out the L&R liquids you mention in my "ancient" Elma watch cleaning machine. However, I worry that these liquids are too toxic and smell too much without adequate ventilation. Where I live it is normally too cold to work with this outdoors, but a few months a year it could work. At some point, I tried Elma's Suprol Pro and almost passed out from the fumes. It comes with a "narcotic effect" warning. How bad are the L&R fluids in this respect?  
    • I've removed the movement and left it on a windowsill. I'm in north east England, so not very sunny today 😥 however I'll give it a few days and then try a new battery. The document you sent claims the movement is the same as the C700 with regards to parts and assembly. I've managed to find an exploded view of a C700 and some troubleshooting instructions. So if a new battery doesn't work in a few days I'll strip the watch and test the electronic circuit unit. No doubt it will require cleaning and oiling anyway. Thanks again for your help @watchweasol
    • Hello and welcome to the forum,     Enjoy
    • Hi. That explains it, done that myself.  Leve the movement open with the back off and battery out for a few days in the sun and let it dry naturally, re fit new battery and try again if  it is not successful the circuit block may be toast,  Better if you can get the movement out of the case for drying what is your location
    • Thanks for that. He's worn the watch daily for the last 20 years, he said he didn't even think about it being on his wrist, because it's always there. He had a shower and when he got out he noticed the crystal has condensation on the inside. I may have exaggerated when I said it was FULL of water 😅 I removed the movement from the case last night and there's no sign of water on the coil or battery, however the dial has dried water spots on it. I'm not sure about stripping the movement further, I've never done anything with a quartz movement. I tried looking for a donor movement but they seem to be practically non existent. Even Jules Borel doesn't list this movement in their parts catalogue