How to hold a Jacot tool burnisher

This video demonstrates how to hold a burnisher comfortably, safely, and efficiently for burnishing a wheel pivot in a Jacot tool—a huge thank you to @nickelsilver, who generously shared this information. I can’t thank you enough! 🙂👍

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/28602-longines-balance-staff-pivots-are-they-too-flat/page/2/#comment-241887

Edited by VWatchie
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

It's different for me and others who are left handed. 

Can't you just rotate the Jacot tool 180° (work on the other side of it) and get yourself a burnisher for left-handed people, for example, the Bergeon 2933D? Perhaps that is what is different or am I missing something? In the video, I do mention there are two types of burnishers for those who are either left-handed or right-handed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

Can't you just rotate the Jacot tool 180° (work on the other side of it) and get yourself a burnisher for left-handed people, for example, the Bergeon 2933D? Perhaps that is what is different or am I missing something? In the video, I do mention there are two types of burnishers for those who are either left-handed or right-handed.

Its not that simple watchie, lefties are wierd kinda folk 😂

• Haha 1

We had a young guy in (many years ago..) who wanted to change careers from photography to watchmaking. He worked out an arrangement with my boss at the time to work as a sort of apprentice, for a small wage.

Boss wanted him to learn filing, as one does, so showed him how to hold the file, how to make proper strokes- this was a "full size" file, mind you, all that. Gave him some parts that needed a few licks here and there (like deburring on large stuff) and left him to it. Came back 30m later and all parts were destroyed. What the?!

Boss: "Please show me how you did this"

Kid: (starts filing wildly)

Boss: "That is not at all how I showed you!"

Kid: "But you're right handed- I'm a lefty!"

It definitely wasn't an issue of which-handedness. Ended up he couldn't follow instruction on anything. He didn't last long. And that boss was an absolutely marvelous teacher, very methodical , descriptive, and always demonstrated exactly how it should be done.

Side note: One of the best pivoteurs I know is a lefty. But he actually uses the Jacot with burnisher in the right hand. You guys are a weird bunch.

Edited by nickelsilver
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

We had a young guy in (many years ago..) who wanted to change careers from photography to watchmaking. He worked out an arrangement with my boss at the time to work as a sort of apprentice, for a small wage.

Boss wanted him to learn filing, as one does, so showed him how to hold the file, how to make proper strokes- this was a "full size" file, mind you, all that. Gave him some parts that needed a few licks here and there (like deburring on large stuff) and left him to it. Came back 30m later and all parts were destroyed. What the?!

Boss: "Please show me how you did this"

Kid: (starts filing wildly)

Boss: "That is not at all how I showed you!"

Kid: "But you're right handed- I'm a lefty!"

It definitely wasn't an issue of which-handedness. Ended up he couldn't follow instruction on anything. He didn't last long. And that boss was an absolutely marvelous teacher, very methodical , descriptive, and always demonstrated exactly how it should be done.

Side note: One of the best pivoteurs I know is a lefty. But he actually uses the Jacot with burnisher in the right hand. You guys are a weird bunch.

I've considered myself being pretty ambidextrous with my tools, working up a ladder you need to be able reach around and work from both sides of a ladder. After 40 years i can play a tune with a panel saw, can i use it in my left hand ? Can i fook 🤣

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I'm multi-handed, not quite the same thing as ambitious, does that make me weirder still? 

Haha check your predictive mate , I've already been pulled up for that today, i was being too ambidextrous with my spelling 🤣

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Oh that sure is me. 😀

👍thanks OH  just needed you to confirm that for us 😂

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I'm multi-handed, not quite the same thing as ambitious, does that make me weirder still? 

Multi handed ?  If you have more than two hands then errrm yes that makes you wierder still Richard in fact extremely wierd 🤪

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
Spelling 🤣
  • Haha 1