Help Removing A Lucien Piccard Autowind Rotor...

Hi All , does anyone know how to remove the rotor from a Lucien Piccard Circa 101 , 908 caliber watch ? It looks like I have to remove the odd shape cir-clip in the middle of the rotor , but there is a post with what looks like a washer thats bigger than the opening of the cir-clip ??? 

The attached pic is from a similar watch posted on the Bay .

Thanks , Louis

post-808-0-28878800-1443417169_thumb.png

Never seen this before.  Looking at the pic it looks like a screw is missing where someone has attempted to remove the auto unit with the rota attached. It just does not look right to me the Lucien Piccard watches I have found on the net have a centre screw attachment not a post. Someone with more experience might have a better idea.

Hi Louis.

Like you I haven't worked on one of these. The circlip will definitely have to come off to remove the rotor from the auto assembly though. Does the rotor rotate freely, or has it seized on the post? Was there a screw though the hole in the circlip to prevent it rotating?

Hi Louis.

Like you I haven't worked on one of these. The circlip will definitely have to come off to remove the rotor from the auto assembly though. Does the rotor rotate freely, or has it seized on the post? Was there a screw though the hole in the circlip to prevent it rotating?

Also looking at the pic again it looks like the rota has been rubbing on the case. This is not good.

Thanks Guys , The pic I used is not of my watch and I did notice the missing screw in the attachment . My watch is a very clean movement but the cir-clip arrangement is the same. It seems that a screwdriver could be inserted into the slot on the clip to pry it away ,... but my concern is that the pivot , washer[?] , and clip is in a kind of depression that doesn't give a lot of space to slide it out without putting pressure on the rotor bearings . In the watch that is in the attached pic the screw that is missing is easily accessed , but the opposite screw holding the winding plate is 1/2 covered by the rotor , so you can't turn it with a screwdriver or remove it  .  I don't want to force the clip out so I'm hoping someone has some experience with this set-up that they can share .

I'll wait a bit for some info on this ,... then it's "no guts , no glory" and I'll gently try to persuade the clip out .

You either use a tiny set of circlip pliers (I've seen them for down to .5mm)

OR

You improvise.

Remember back in your school days..... The compass for drawing arcs etc. I had a screw thread one that you could mount two points on. Or mapmakers callipers.

compass.jpeg

One point in each hole and turn the screw slowly...

I recognise this type of fitting. If I remember right, first remove the balance. I would put a small screw driver under the clip to lift up a little and use an old pair of tweezers one side against the isolating weight post the other against the clip and push.

I recognise this type of fitting. If I remember right, first remove the balance. I would put a small screw driver under the clip to lift up a little and use an old pair of tweezers one side against the isolating weight post the other against the clip and push.

Thanks oldhippy and ro63rto ,  we're getting somewhere now .

ro63rto , I think I may have a set of cir-clip pliers I could possibly use ...... oldhippy ,  I am not sure if understand the positioning if the tweezers...and the push . 

Would it be possible to make a rough sketch when you have time , I would appreciate it . Good move to suggest removing the balance ...I CAN visualize the bad results if I don't remove it . ...YIKES !!!

Thanks oldhippy and ro63rto ,  we're getting somewhere now .

ro63rto , I think I may have a set of cir-clip pliers I could possibly use ...... oldhippy ,  I am not sure if understand the positioning if the tweezers...and the push . 

Would it be possible to make a rough sketch when you have time , I would appreciate it . Good move to suggest removing the balance ...I CAN visualize the bad results if I don't remove it . ...YIKES !!!

No good at drawing so I'll try and explain. Picture your tweezers lying on the isolating weight with the points near to the clip, one side of the tweezers the other side of the axel from the clip opening and the other side of the tweezers pressed against the opening of the clip and push as if closing the tweezers.

No good at drawing so I'll try and explain. Picture your tweezers lying on the isolating weight with the points near to the clip, one side of the tweezers the other side of the axel from the clip opening and the other side of the tweezers pressed against the opening of the clip and push as if closing the tweezers.

Got it...Much Mahalos....[Many Thanks ]

• 2 weeks later...