Seiko 6119C Balance Bent

Davey57

Got the watch back together and it appeared to run ok, however I noticed that the balance wheel seems to oscillate as it was rotating. Now I am not sure whether it did this before I stripped it or not to be honest. It will run fine until I put it into a certain position and it will stop. I have taken the balance out and there are no broken or bent pivots. I have already had the cap jewels out for cleaning and they appeared ok too. There is end shake but whether there is too much is difficult for me to say, there doesn't seem to be any lateral movement if I give it a gentle tug to and fro with tweezers. I have peered in as closely as I can when it is running and I can't see the pivots moving to any degree in their holes that would cause the wheel to look like it does. My only conclusion is that somehow the balance wheel is slightly bent, I now have a vague memory of a close encounter it might have had in the movement holder (groan)  Could it be that as I move it into a certain position the balance is catching on something as it moves? I have posted in the wanted section for a replacement balance if anyone has such a thing. I doubt I have any chance of straightening this one if it is bent, I might actually have a go just for the experience if I can find a replacement as insurance.

I just read that the balance arms are very thin on the 6119 . And that they could easily be bent . Haven't found any complete new balances . But must be out there somewhere . Seiko movements  are a real challenge.  Check with http://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/1145-seiko-6106-movement-in-loving-memory/

Edited by rogart63

Yes I gave them a good looking at when I stripped it down initially and they looked ok. Have checked them twice again since discovering the fault and they appear to be straight to me. I am beginning to think that I might have bent the balance wheel when it was not gripped properly in the movement holder. Can't be certain it was me but I do remember a "yikes!" moment when adjusting it's position in the movement holder. I am so careful but accidents do happen. The arms of the wheel do look flimsy. Looking at some replacement movements on the net. I have another couple of these watches on the way so a few spares might not be a bad idea. Really disappointing though when you are so close to completing something you have been working on for a while and then something like this holds things up. Just another lesson to learn though, you can easily damage something even when you think you are being so careful.

A couple of months ago I had the same issue with a carriage clock fitted with platform escapement  I found after removing the hairspring that the balance wheel itself was out of true. With the aid of a truing calliper I managed to get it true by manipulating the balance arms with my fingers. I have attached of the style of calliper tool I used.

post-234-0-52746800-1442434004.png