Retirement Pending

G'day all, with about 3 years to go to retirement and intending to downsize to a smaller house my current woodworking interests are unlikely to fit into the new digs.  I needed a new hobby and as I've always had an appreciation for watches it was a pretty easy call to switch to watchmaking.

I am starting out with Marks course and with the sale of my woodworking gear I am looking forward to the purchase of some new toys....errr...tools 🙂

I am primarily interested in older mechanical/automatic movements and and odd quirky watches such as those from the soviet era.  I also hope to pick up the odd project at op shops etc.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 3:22 PM, clockboy said:

Welcome to the forum, enjoy. Beware this hobby can become obsessive 

I have obsessive tendencies so this will be nothing new 🙂 

On 1/24/2024 at 4:27 PM, watchweasol said:

Hello and welcome to the forum,    Hope you pockets are deep as the “ Toys” can be expensive.

Fortunately I have some decent woodworking gear to move on and am doing a fair bit of research to see where I can go with cheaper kit and were I need to splurge. 

On 1/25/2024 at 4:23 PM, CYCLOPS said:

welcome, the Russian watches will be a big learning curve....

I'm in no rush, I'll get Marks course done then see what I can find to build on that knowledge.

Welcome to the forum! 

Sounds like a fun retirement 🙂

I started out with a soviet watch. It's possible but not necessarily the easiest. Just make sure you start with a watch that already runs. You could also buy two identical watches (or a spare movement) right away to have spare parts ready to go -- an additional movement won't break the bank and probably save you some frustration when the first shock spring disappears into the "kosmos". 

Cheers and good luck

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Knebo said:

Welcome to the forum! 

Sounds like a fun retirement 🙂

I started out with a soviet watch. It's possible but not necessarily the easiest. Just make sure you start with a watch that already runs. You could also buy two identical watches (or a spare movement) right away to have spare parts ready to go -- an additional movement won't break the bank and probably save you some frustration when the first shock spring disappears into the "kosmos". 

Cheers and good luck

I’ve got a Seagull 3620 coming to practice with and for Marks course so I won’t be touching the Soviet watches till I’m confident I won’t mess it up to much.

• Like 1