C701.1xx, an ETA movement to avoid. Tissot = Toss it

I was amazed when I saw this. I thought it was going to be a cheap Chinese movement. (I friend once asked me to repair his Tissot skeleton movement. It was the most horrible cheap Chinese movement. I was shocked it was in a Tissot. It was impossible to take apart and repair. I gave up, and bought a new movement for about £25).

But this is a true ETA movement. I can't see why they would do this in a movement with 23J !

It's only the C07.1XX which have this 'feature'. The C07.6XX and 8XX have regular escapements.

Edited by mikepilk
type
  • Like 2

I watched that yesterday. It looks like a child's Bradley Mickey inside, but even those have a real escape wheel...real crap, yes. Yuk. 

In the US claims like 'high tech' are considered puffery, meaningless language that isn't necessarily illegal....and I'd argue in defense that language doesn't make a claim about quality, which is really what Kalle's complaint is about...

...not for nothing I've never considered Tissot as a high end brand. Is the perception different in other parts of the world?

They used to have a good reputation. Merged with Omega in the 1930s, they were the 'lesser' brand to Omega, as Tudor are to Rolex. They used the same movements as Omega, but without the copper coloured plating and slightly fewer refinements. So good quality, if not high end.

I bought a Mido GMT with a Powermatic 80 last summer and did make sure that it was one without a 'plastic' escapement. I can't imagine that plastic pallet fork still being usable in 80 years, so I guess it's planned obsolescence.

19 hours ago, mikepilk said:

C701.1XX

that is an interesting number seems to conflict with the number in the video? it appears to be probably one of those things I would do a deluxe six thing of swapping your numbers around.

image.png.351cd07af2abe5df6532722eaad9811a.png

19 hours ago, rehajm said:

real crap

you haven't been paying attention we've seen this before like what escapement does the watch below have? The chronograph that has all sorts of bits and pieces of plastic it has to be more expensive than the watch you started with this discussion with his at the chronograph and what is escapement made out of now? Oh I remember engineered materials yes that is one of the things I call plastic and they definitely do not call plastic cheap if it's engineered materials.

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/28175-tissot-prc-200-one-weird-chronograph/

20 hours ago, rehajm said:

Tissot as a high end brand. Is the perception different in other parts of the world?

oh and this particular series of movements is found in several Swatch group brand so this isn't the only one using engineered material escapement's

18 hours ago, GuyMontag said:

'plastic' escapement. I can't imagine that plastic pallet fork still being usable in 80 years, so I guess it's planned obsolescence.

it's not just watches like this look at all these other watches being sold out there couple hundred dollars expressive as a quartz movement that probably cost five dollars inside.

Oh and then there is the other amusements would something like this ever be collectible who in their right mind would want to collect the plastic escapement watch? Here's an interesting video and what kind of escapement does this watch have?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

that is an interesting number seems to conflict with the number in the video? it appears to be probably one of those things I would do a deluxe six thing of swapping your numbers around.

You are right, as usual John. Mistake on my part. The number is C07.1xx

I cannot edit the topic heading 😟

2 hours ago, Kalanag said:

I heard that these balance „screws“ can only be regulated once during the production prozess.

There are videos showing how to adjust the screws. So it can be done, but it looks fiddly.

• Like 1

Meanwhile I learned that the screw axis always remains in its position relative to the wheel axis. By rotating the screw up to +/- 90 degrees (max.) the flat (=light) side of the screw head moves and alters the inertia of the wheel accordingly. 90 degrees equals 30sec/day.

Everything is OK with the plastic escapement and the other plastic parts! The watch must be sent for maintenance every 4-5 years to the manufacturer, and all the plastic parts (or rather the entire movement) will be rplaced by new...

4 hours ago, mikepilk said:

I cannot edit the topic heading 

to a certain degree the title isn't that important if someone at the top you actually have the correct model number. Having the correct model numbers important if someone's trying to help them figure out what you have. Also it's important in case anyone ever does a search for this caliber they might find the information of help. I find often times people will discuss things without having proper referencing and an ever finding the discussion again is impossible.

6 hours ago, Kalanag said:

I heard that these balance „screws“ can only be regulated once during the production prozess.

I would be curious as to where that came from as that is false. This is what happens when people do not have the proper documentation.

4 hours ago, mikepilk said:

There are videos showing how to adjust the screws. So it can be done, but it looks fiddly.

then I don't suppose you have a link to the video I might find it either interesting or amusing or possibly both.

3 hours ago, Kalanag said:

Meanwhile I learned that the screw axis always remains in its position relative to the wheel axis. By rotating the screw up to +/- 90 degrees (max.) the flat (=light) side of the screw head moves and alters the inertia of the wheel accordingly. 90 degrees equals 30sec/day.

then so I don't have to repeat myself we've covered at least setting up the timing machine in another discussion we didn't cover the final details of the actual regulation. So your homework assignment is to read the information at the link below and then I'll add in the last little bits you need to know to how to regulate the watch although you're not going to have the special tools but you can probably work out something once you understand what the special tools purpose is.

now that you've done your homework by looking at the above discussion and you understand how to set up your timing machine we can look at the actual regulation

image.thumb.png.0e0262db9a051fec0f543ff8da760a2d.png

one of the amusements with documentation is sometimes minor technical conflicts like the lift angle of 50° specified up above but also specified in other technical documents as 47° . Then and one of the rating sheets of the various calibers that actually list both of them. Doesn't really matter though your close enough.

here's something nice that they did for anyone that's ever played with their mean time screws or did dynamic poising its sometimes gets confusing as to exactly where you are which is why sometimes all use of felt pen to temporally marked the balance wheel to keep track of things yes you can pay attention to the roller jewel but sometimes it's nice to actually have a marketing like this

image.png.fbae7eb8bc275486bad28cb36b7a5e6f.png

image.png.aab550340b7612d1b17aea4145ee7d21.png

then from one of the other brands a slightly different well a much nicer fancier tool with a scale see you can precisely see what you're doing. For those people really obsessed with precision timekeeping probably not an issue with the synthetic escapement.

image.png.21747a9275bdbb6d9bf3786e02ba553b.png

basically the exact same procedure with a fancy tool with a graduated scale so you can do it very nicely.

image.png.b4cf66499c778cccec329e60ac40f33d.png

then you will note at the bottom references to synthetic escapement and how to clean and how to lubricate. Which would become extremely important because you're not going to get a replacement. Unless of course 3-D printers improve themselves considerably and we can start printing our own.

image.png.3180f21627650d2b1ab3d44baa44b015.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i am from Switzerland.........

i knew about this, what a shame for Swatch-Group !

the best Answer is to replace this Movement with a Selitta SW200, still swiss made and you get Parts.....

regards,

Ernst

• Like 2