Pocket Watch Glass Crystal Glue Problems!

Hi guys, I've been trying to glue a glass crystal into a silver pocket watch, I was was advised to use g-s hypo cement, I've tried gluing it into the case twice now, but it still keeps falling out? Any ideas guys & what other glues should I be having a look at? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also had issues with GS Hypo Cement on two watches, one of which was my dad's Seiko. I spoke to a local watchmaker and he told me to use Epoxy 330. I tried it and it worked perfectly. I have used GS Hypo Cement on other watches with success so I am not sure why it wouldn't take on those two watches.

post-38-0-48054900-1442125820.jpg

I also had issues with GS Hypo Cement on two watches, one of which was my dad's Seiko. I spoke to a local watchmaker and he told me to use Epoxy 330. I tried it and it worked perfectly. I have used GS Hypo Cement on other watches with success so I am not sure why it wouldn't take on those two watches.

I have used Devcon epoxy glue for many years & have never had a problem. The rules of using glue/soldering etc. are the same both surfaces have to be clean,dust free & no grease.

post-234-0-42103200-1442127563.png

I never use Hypo for crystals anymore. Maybe they changed the formula over the years.  5 minute 2-part epoxy is the way.  Any hardware store will carry it.  On a piece of paper use one dollop for hardener and alongside a dollop for resin. Round toothpick mix it and dab along the rim of the case.  You'll go through some toothpicks as you want your applicators to be clean. It's ok to overfill but that means a bigger clean-up later.  Put the crystal on and turn it in place to spread the cement. Leave for 24 hours.

The next day you'll see the excess under the crystal as well as above.  The glue will have hardened nicely and you can scrape off the excess. Same for the top. If its a plastic crystal you can buff off any excess, if it's glass then acetone will do the trick.

The other nice thing about epoxy is that it will create a water resistant shield at the bond.  

PS... if your using epoxy that comes in that large syringe, use toothpicks to pull out the dollops.  I've never had any luck with those plungers so it comes out in tremendous globs.  Those are the moments I want to break a few dishes so I can put them back together and not feel like I've wasted material.