Escape wheel stops the mainspring barrel

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I bought several old non-working watches to learn watchmaking. Now, I am stuck at the first watch. The watch is a very old Ricoh mechanical. 

The movement interacts well with the train wheels and barrels. However, whenever I put the escape wheel, the mainspring barrel gets stuck and so does the whole movement. Without the escape wheel, all the train wheels engage and turns freely.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Reaz

Common faults of this issue are,

Zero end shake on escape pivot.

Badly bent pivot, thats providing there are two pivots present.

Broken jewel to escape arbour.

Damaged pinion of escape arbour.

Escape wheel rubbing .

I don't pin much chance that picture of the movement shows us the above.

Rgds

I stopped working on that movement. Instead I started working on a Seiko 6309a and thankfully that movement is running. The tip of the escape wheel was already broken in the Ricoh movement. So, it was dangling around and when it engaged it sat around the center wheel thus stopping the mainspring barrel...

Edited by Reaz
  • Like 1

Can I even repair that damaged escape wheel? I think I have to replace it and depending on where I live, it is near impossible to source replacement parts without exceeding the value of the watch. 

On the other hand, as someone new to watch repairs, I find it extremely difficult to do. I spend hours and hours to nibble certain parts just so it would hopefully fit.

I already had huge admiration for watch repairers and now after servicing few watches myself, I respect them even more. 

I thought it was fun but I actually stressed myself out a little bit. 😅 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Welcome Gary, enjoy the forum.
    • There is a known fault with the 3135 which is if the watch has not been serviced the Auto rotor can wear. See attached pic.    
    • How do I check that?
    • I sort of am expecting that ring to push against the rim of the crystal and possibly a seal against the front of the case. Hence everything comes out the back. Nothing else seems to make sense to me. I am trying to imagine why the crystal would not push out unless the ring needs to be backed off to allow the crystal to be pushed out, but then how does the ring come out? I am new to stripping watches though and am happy to stand corrected. 🙂 
    • Hi @Roll1ex, welcome to the forum. It's considered good practice to introduce yourself to the forum in this thread: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/forum/23-introduce-yourself-here/ But no worries. I don't have the spec sheet for the 15xx movements, but when I look at the 31xx information, it stands out that the endshake of the rotor should be between 0.01 and 0.03mm. That is LESS than the pallet fork and the lowest of all endshakes in the movement. Not exactly sure what you mean by that. The rotor itself is a unique part which doesn't have different heights. If you mean the height at which it is installed vis-a-vis the automatic bridge, then yes, that can be adjusted a bit via the two jewels that hold the rotor axle. Height differences vis-a-vis the bridge can also be caused by the strength with which the new axle is hammered/riveted into the rotor. And yes, that can be compensated a bit via the jewels.   This would probably indicate that the axle isn't perfectly perpendicular to the rotor. That could explain why the weight is closer to the rest of the movement at 9 o'clock -- it would then be furthest at 3 o'clock. That would be bad news. A new axle should then be installed... and properly this time.   As I wrote already, there is margin for adjustment via the jewels. As for the spring clip, the 15xx movements only seems to have one spring clip thickness (part 7911 - https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/2878_Rolex 1530 Pages 6-10.pdf). The later 31xx movments have several versions with different thicknesses. But there is a good chance that the clip is worn (=thinner than it should) and should then be replaced.   But, in conclusion, if the rotor hits the caseback in one particular postion, then my first suspicion is that the axle wasn't punched in at a perfect 90° angle. That must first be re-done correctly. No other fixes will be solving that problem. Furthermore, if the rotor "dings" against the caseback when the watch is shaken (but not in other situations), then there is likely also an issue of endshake (more an issue of the jewels) or lateral play (more likely the sping clip).      PS: by whom? Independent or RSC?