Getting A Watch In Beat Question.

clockboy

Yesterday I serviced a vintage watch (AS1286) & it was 2.6 ml out of beat. I adjusted by moving the hairspring a touch via a screwdriver & unfortunately I touched the spring and misshaped it and it took a long while to reshape.

The question is will I get the same result if I move the roller table as this looks a lot easier & less risky.

You should be able to get it in beat my moving the roller table relative to the balance staff.

I don't really understand what you did with the screwdriver that bent the spring?

I had the balance staff on a tack went in with my smallest screwdriver & twisted the collet. As I retrieved my screwdriver I caught one of the coils & bent it. It,s a very small spring & it took an age to get it back to the correct shape.

I HATE HAIRSPRINGS :crazysmile:

• Like 2

On the older movement type, where to remove the balance and hairspring, you have to pull out that horrible little brass tapered rod, which grips the hairspring into a tiny hole. What do people do to adjust the beat? Removing that horrible little brass tapered rod several times, or dangling the hairspring and trying to inject a screwdriver to the collect, I have found both options equally as dangerous (or should I say disastrous).  Is there a different method?

On the older movement type, where to remove the balance and hairspring, you have to pull out that horrible little brass tapered rod, which grips the hairspring into a tiny hole. What do people do to adjust the beat? Removing that horrible little brass tapered rod several times, or dangling the hairspring and trying to inject a screwdriver to the collect, I have found both options equally as dangerous (or should I say disastrous).  Is there a different method?

Removing the brass pin is easy just use stiff tweezers & leave it attached to the balance bridge for stability. Re-fitting is however more difficult.

The method I use is a pin vice & fit a nice new pin which come in nice long lengths so easy to manipulate & then snip off to the correct length when fitted.

Having a supply of wedge pins would help me a lot too, as I've discovered that they make quite nice little rockets. I'm not sure were to get them, though, my usual stateside suppliers don't seem to have them. Any suggestions as to a source?

Thanks!

David S - who is currently confusing aerospace and horology.

Having a supply of wedge pins would help me a lot too, as I've discovered that they make quite nice little rockets. I'm not sure were to get them, though, my usual stateside suppliers don't seem to have them. Any suggestions as to a source?

Thanks!

David S - who is currently confusing aerospace and horology.

Actually, that's not true. Otto Frei has assortments.

David S - who is currently just confused

I definitely understand that feeling of destroying the hairspring. I recommend removing the balance complete and rotating the collet to get it in beat. Takes a while sometimes but safer.

I don't recommend rotating the roller because the balance was statically poised with the roller in that position. Rotating it will change timing results.

I find filing brass and then rolling it between two anvils makes pins pretty easy. Also I prefer to put a flat on one side of the pin to help hold the hairspring tighter in the stud. And I have a pair of modified tweezers where one end is longer than the other this helps installing and removing.

Through watchmaking I restore connections in people's lives!

• Like 1