Omega cal 1012 not holding power

Hi All, I hope someone can help me with this issue which is driving me nuts. The watch has been cleaned and serviced as it was not working at all, the centre wheel was damaged and has been replaced and when all work was completed the watch runs well  with good amplitude 260 to 280 on the timegrapher. the issue is this, the watch will wind manually and if you manually push the rotor around you can clearly see it winds the ratchett wheel in fact from zero power in the spring just using the rotor the watch will start working, but after about 2 days on the auto winder from a full manual wind the watch stops and the fault seems to be there is no power in the spring so although the auto wind appears to be working it does not if you see what I mean. I even fitted a brand new spring 3 days ago just in case but still the same result. I have enclosed some pictures in the hope someone can say you have done this or that wrong, any help or advice appreciated. thanks in advance Tony.

IMG_5509.JPG

IMG_5508.JPG

IMG_5507.JPG

IMG_5506.JPG

IMG_5505.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG

You say that the automatic winder functions as long as you move it manually. That means everything should be assembled correctly.

Faults that come into mind:

- to much drag in the automatic gear train (does the rotor swing freely when the power is let down?)

- worn rotor pivot (to much play?)

- rotor touches the plate or the closed case back (any marks?)

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 1

Adding to what @Kalanag says.

Holding the movement vertically and slowing rotating it, does the rotor move freely? 

I have a couple of 1012s, and the rotor spins very easily.

To check auto wind watches, I let the mainspring down, then (if you don't have auto winder machine) I wear them for a couple of hours. That should give nearly a full wind.

thanks for the replies, the rotor spins really freely there is definitely no dragging or witness marks to indicate otherwise. I am going out in a minute I will wear it and see what happens. I am thinking oldhippy might be right as it winds manually ok. If it does not kick into life I will replace the auto works. Thanks again I really appreciate the help.

The problem that usually happens to this auto module is wear of the reverse wheel. To check it, wind the spring to the end manually and then turn the rotor by hand to see if the auto is winding. Try in both directions and see vhat is the minimal angle of the rotor movement left-righr that brings rotation of the auto. Should be less than 90 degr. But, in case that the watch stops and no power on the autowinder, then check if the rotor is not pressed by the back. Shaking the watch must rotate the rotor and this can be filled and heart by the vibrations of it. You can put the watch on autowinder with no back, to see what happens.

Edited by nevenbekriev
  • Like 1

current update on this issue, I went out wearing the watch and it started working so I put it back on the auto winder and it stopped after 8 hours, I checked the mainspring and no power it was completely let down. I took the auto works apart cleaned it again put it back together still same issue. I purchased a used auto mechanism complete unit which came today, I have fitted it and the difference I noticed straight away was that my rotor had some resistance as it went round where as the old one when the rotor was on it whizzed round with the slightest touch really fast. fingers crossed this was the issue. I will let you know.

• Like 1