My 1960's Glycine Airman

pgse14

Tempting, but unless you're feeling extraordinarily charitable the right price is certainly going to be beyond my current budget . Having just changed from self employed contracting on a weekly invoice to salaried I have a whole month to get through on almost no money. I hope you get a good price for it though, it's a corking watch and has been on my wish list for some time now. I will get one when the time is right.

It runs keeps perfect time has brand new wild boar leather nato strap and has been cleaned and repolished and it was a majors in the us air force and he was an astronaut so it has some history to it its a great watch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Nice job on the watch pgse14 ....

.I picked mine up at the swapmeet for $15 a couple of years ago . I didn't know what it was . It had a crystal so crazed I could barely make out "Glycine" on the dial , and I didn't know what that meant . It had a super cheap SS very fake Rolex watchband on it . I just knew it was Swiss Made from the 10 sided Hex style case back . I came home and looked it up ...my eyes got big and I mumbled "Oh Wow" .

I put a new crystal with the parabolic [i think} magnifier and a canvas watch band with cordura lining . I read that they were sold with canvas watch bands . 

Luckily the hacking feature is working on mine...the little wire that comes out of the case and dial at 12 O'clock when the crown is pulled out to slop  the second hand.

The pics I'm attaching are from when I cleaned up the bezels on the Airman and my Zodiac Sea Wolf...a Vietnam Era watch popular with servicemen . 

I,ve also attached a pic of an actual Airman wearing the watch .

post-808-0-33512500-1443338289_thumb.jpg

post-808-0-53810200-1443338307_thumb.jpg

post-808-0-68307700-1443338327_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

i love those glycine watches. every time i see them - especially the newer ones, i get all googly. they are sweet. a classic older tech style watch. classic good looks.

i wonder if the older ones that you guys have are radium dials? any way to tell?

i love those glycine watches. every time i see them - especially the newer ones, i get all googly. they are sweet. a classic older tech style watch. classic good looks.

i wonder if the older ones that you guys have are radium dials? any way to tell?

I don't have the answer to your question but I have included a link to the information I looked up when I got home from the swap meet with mine .

http://ambwatches.com/category/glycine/

that is a great read. i could imagine that someone could make a killing if they made an aftermarket hacking mechanism. what does it look like and how does it work?

is the case water resistant? interesting that they incorporated that hacking mechanism in the case rather than the movement. really cool.

is the case stainless or plated?

I got

that is a great read. i could imagine that someone could make a killing if they made an aftermarket hacking mechanism. what does it look like and how does it work?

is the case water resistant? interesting that they incorporated that hacking mechanism in the case rather than the movement. really cool.

is the case stainless or plated?

I got a little nervous , I couldn't find my watch...but it was in the first place I looked , but I overlooked it . Whew !!

When you pull out the crown a very tiny wire comes out of a hole between the 2 and 4 at the 24hour mark . It's so small I had to use my loupe to see it . I never inspected the hacking when I changed the crystal a while back so I don't know how the wire is connected to the setting mechanism . It only comes out far enough to stop the second hand .

The case back is a ten sided design that you would need the right tool to open it . I don't remember how I opened it before . I probably carefully used a crescent wrench , [sorry , I was a newbie . I would not do that now ] , or glued a nut to the back to open it and removed the nut and crazy glue with acetone .

The case back says , stainless steel , Swiss , automatic , waterproof , Incabloc , pat. 314050 on the edge . The serial number is in the center portion and it's # 601412

The crown on my bezel lock is not cross hatched for some reason .

Edited by ricardopalamino

a lot of older watches are plated. that is much of the reason why i don't usually but older ones. the swiss or european watches seem to have plated a lot of theirs. the japanese seem to use SS. i was hoping that the glycine would be ss. i have it as sort of a grail watch.

im fascinated by the hacking mechanism. it seems so unusual for a higher end watch to have such a thing that (seems to me) could be so touchy or prone to damage. now, having said that, how in the world does it remain waterproof?

it's a very cool watch.