Hi All

This is a bit of a cross post from my intro. However, I've bought a couple of Bergeon tools as and when I've needed them. I now have a spring bar tool and case knife. I have no lamp, screwdrivers, mat, tweezers, blower etc. Is there better mileage in buying a "set" or should I buy stuff separately?

I am in the UK by the way.

Many thanks.

On 10/14/2023 at 10:35 AM, Vizard said:

Hi All

This is a bit of a cross post from my intro. However, I've bought a couple of Bergeon tools as and when I've needed them. I now have a spring bar tool and case knife. I have no lamp, screwdrivers, mat, tweezers, blower etc. Is there better mileage in buying a "set" or should I buy stuff separately?

Many thanks.

I have found many tools at carboots, check out your local ones. Especially for general stuff like lighting, I've picked up a few anglepoise lights and craft  magnifying glasses on adjustable arms for next to nothing. Often old brass watch drivers and a couple of times watchmakers tweezers and pliers. 

4 hours ago, Vizard said:

OK I will put this another way, can anyone suggest a good order in which to buy hand tools please?

I have:

Case knife

Spring bar tool

I need:

Mat

Screwdrivers

Tweezers

Blower

What else?

A piece of cushioned lino can be a makeshift mat, good quality tweezers are something you shouldn't skimp on. Loupes, oilers, oil pots and lubrications, cleaning solutions, shallow cleaning jars from pound shop, tiny artists paintbrushes for cleaning and probing, pegwood or toothpicks will do, rodico for picking up very small items, blutack will do at a push buts its more tacky so doesn't release as easy. A magnet and a torch for finding lost parts, a uv torch comes in handy for spotting lost jewels. Watchpaper or just note pad paper for drying parts after cleaning. Containers for parts storage, screwtop contact lens cases are ok for small parts.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches

I have a lamp on the way and am turning my attention to screwdrivers.

My thinking is "buy cheap, buy twice" so am looking at Bergeon. Sets seem to come in all manner of sizes.

Do I need one with the spare blades?

Is there a set that covers most of the bases that represents good value?

Many thanks.

On 10/14/2023 at 5:35 AM, Vizard said:

Hi All

Many thanks.

I don't like sets. Purchase high quality, specific tools once, individually and they will last you a lifetime if taken care of. 

This is the bench pad I have on all of my benches.  Search on ebay

image.thumb.png.9025a6420f6e79ef8021d2afb1ff915b.png

Get one of these to sharpen your screwdrivers (Esslinger image below)

image.thumb.png.756001537bbdf1baa64a24207cd07496.png

Get a Dumont #3 tweezer.  It will last a lifetime.  Frankly, the used vintage Dumonts are better IMHO.  I have lots of them.  Bought a new one and it does not have the same sensitivity as the old ones.  Buying vintage on ebay is a crap shoot, however.

image.thumb.png.f8a95e2fc8bf6355cbe58d4b51f7870e.png

The screwdrivers I use are Bergeon.  My first set was a Christmas present back in 1970.  This set below is a good start.

image.thumb.png.a8e75484e22d0919eae552598374bd26.png

• Like 1

Okay, today's watch tinkering suggests that magnification has to be my next consideration.

I have 5x and 10x jewellers loupes, but trying to use them whilst fiddling takes a bit of effort. They steam up and fall out of my eye socket.

What do you guys have?

Many thanks.

31 minutes ago, Vizard said:

Okay, today's watch tinkering suggests that magnification has to be my next consideration.

I have 5x and 10x jewellers loupes, but trying to use them whilst fiddling takes a bit of effort. They steam up and fall out of my eye socket.

What do you guys have?

Many thanks.

They can fall out, if you have wonky eyes. Drill holes in the sides ( the loupes not your eyes ) to stop the misting up.  You next major purchase i would suggest is a scope.

6 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi   I use several  loupes of all sizes including the one shown by LWShop but as I wear Glasses  the binocular head band type as it can be worn over glasses and hinged back if required.   like a lot of things its a personal choice, which works for you.

The photo's a bit blurry, what exactly are we looking at there?

On 10/15/2023 at 12:42 AM, Vizard said:

What else?

basically what else is more than you have money for as watch repair tends to be very  specialized at times tool intensive.

on your initial list in the beginning I don't see movement holder's?

On 10/24/2023 at 9:22 AM, Vizard said:

My thinking is "buy cheap, buy twice" so am looking at Bergeon. Sets seem to come in all manner of sizes.

Do I need one with the spare blades?

Is there a set that covers most of the bases that represents good value?

somebody I'll says recommended the French set the problem with Bergeon is basically the very expensive. Doesn't mean they don't have good tools are just expensive and some other tools at least up until relatively recently they used to purchase from other people also occasionally will find other suppliers selling the exact same thing. Although is looking at the website it looks like their manufacturing more and more their stuff probably as the other suppliers go out of business.

then as far as screwdrivers go it's also a personal choice and I've attached a PDF of the article reviewing screwdrivers from a long time ago. Then depending upon which sets you purchase some of them will come with replacement blades to get you started.

15 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

scope

telescope I like that astronomy and watch repair.

6 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

I use several  loupes of all sizes including the one shown by LWShop but as I wear Glasses 

one of the problems with the type for glasses are you might get used to one because your frames have been the same for centuries and then you get new frames and now the loop is crap. So I can't get my loop to work at all it just becomes a source of frustration because it doesn't want to stay in place on the frames. So you want to make sure you get the right one for the frames you have.

then it's amazing what you can do with DIY bike raising a bench up a relatively simple fashion so it's higher like a watchmakers bench that can be homemade. Lighting for your bench could come from an office supply store are probably Amazon now. Storage boxes and possibly other stuff they don't have to come from Switzerland at a high price they can be purchased alternative sources at least some of it.

BHI September 2008 Screwdrivers.PDF

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:
1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

scope

telescope I like that astronomy and watch repair

Thats why we get along so well John 🙂.  The telescope well thats just an old baby one, but the microscope 🤔 thats just something else.

20231031_201325.jpg

20231031_201243.jpg

56 minutes ago, Vizard said:

The photo's a bit blurry, what exactly are we looking at there?

They clip onto the arms of a pair of glasses, i think each lens mags at 2 -3x They often have 3 lenses, each lens drops one in front of the other so top end is around 6-9x. Actually quite handy.