Eta 2846-2 not running

12 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha poor lad , hes getting it from both sides, me the pallet fork , mike the balance. Feel free to join in Rich , 3 of us can cause even more confusion 🤣

And its snapping nicely from side to side when you touch it ? You definitely have an issue with the hairspring but its good to check the other side of the escapement as well. We all do things differently,  i consider the train side of the escapement a little easier to check. Mainly as its the start of the assembly and checking as you go. The balance and escape problems can be multiple and a bugger to find if they aren't glaringly obvious. 

Do you mean me?  If so I'm more confused than anyone, Chinese mainplate, ETA rest, suddenly running.  Totally lost. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, vivat said:

Ahhaha really I'm so bored with this watch, this eta 2846 is a piece of scum

Yoy men this sht is moving! I can't believe it. I'll check the accuracy of moving and text back

Its easy to get bored when things aren't going to plan. Stick with it , think of it as a challenge.  I have watches that i keep going back to after well over a year.

Welll... it seems to be running too fast xD

IMG20230925191557.jpg

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Its easy to get bored when things aren't going to plan. Stick with it , think of it as a challenge.  I have watches that i keep going back to after well over a year.

Damn... that tough

4 hours ago, vivat said:

Dial left, dial up 

Ok well I'm so confused now. We seem to have gone from a pallet stone that was dislodged ( or did i just imagine that ? was the lever replaced or just a very lucky first time refitting the stone ) to a poor tg reading to reasonable tg reading to a discovery of a new vertical position of a watch movement.  I really dont know where to go with this 🙂

6 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Do you mean me?  If so I'm more confused than anyone, Chinese mainplate, ETA rest, suddenly running.  Totally lost. 

Geez follow the path Rich, it takes you out of woods and into the forest 🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vivat said:

Dial left, dial up 

This points out to either balance rim/ hairspring/ roller table rubbing.

Check the shakes ( side and end )  on balance pivots, it can also be what mike pilk  said   " BENT PIVOT"  or short pivot.

Have you checked the jewels in settings? 

Settings on Chinese mainplate and Swiss cock probably have different geometry.

Rgds

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Check the shakes ( side and end )  on balance pivots, it can also be what mike pilk  said   " BENT PIVOT"  or short pivot.

Rgds

It's time i backed away from this now, my head is spinning. Mind you i drove 120 miles yesterday from Manchester airport after nearly 40 hours of no sleep after being food poisoned by a shitty chef in Barcelona the night before i flew home with fluid ( yes fluid ) being expelled almost continuously from the two opposite orifices of my body ( sometimes at the same time ) then today did another 120 miles through some of England's narrowest, windiest, darkest roads back from the north Yorkshire moors,  in the dark.  Yeah not really in the zone at the mo, Joe this one's all yours now, besides i have a big lathe to snuggle up with.  Later chaps 🖐

5 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

It's time i backed away from this now, my head is spinning. Mind you i drove 120 miles yesterday from Manchester airport after nearly 40 hours of no sleep after being food poisoned by a shitty chef in Barcelona the night before i flew home with fluid ( yes fluid ) being expelled almost continuously from the two opposite orifices of my body ( sometimes at the same time ) then today did another 120 miles through some of England's narrowest, windiest, darkest roads back from the north Yorkshire moors,  in the dark.  Yeah not really in the zone at the mo, Joe this one's all yours now, besides i have a big lathe to snuggle up with.  Later chaps 🖐

Have you been to Dr ? 

No problem,  I help vivat ruin his watch.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If you're still purging after 24 hours or develop a fever, please go to a hospital. Meanwhile, keep hydrated and maintain your electrolytes.

If we don't hear from you within 24 hours, someone please call the Yorkshire police 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ok well I'm so confused now. We seem to have gone from a pallet stone that was dislodged ( or did i just imagine that ? was the lever replaced or just a very lucky first time refitting the stone ) to a poor tg reading to reasonable tg reading to a discovery of a new vertical position of a watch movement.  I really dont know where to go with this 🙂

Geez follow the path Rich, it takes you out of woods and into the forest 🤣

Yep no problems with the pallet fork now

That's sounds terrible, please be more conscious about your health! 

6 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Rgds

When i turn my watch dial up, the balance starts slowing down and than stops in a few seconds. I guess it's about the coils of hairspring being to close to each other may be...

Can you guys tell me what this part for ?

IMG_20230926_082506.jpg

9 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

If you're still purging after 24 hours or develop a fever, please go to a hospital. Meanwhile, keep hydrated and maintain your electrolytes.

If we don't hear from you within 24 hours, someone please call the Yorkshire police 

9 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

Thanks Hector i appreciate the concern, but no it stopped shortly before i got on the plane home, hence i got on the plane home . Unfortunately 4 hours too late for me to remove the chef's head from his body. 

7 minutes ago, vivat said:

Thanks vivat, I've had better fun during a holiday and equally i will be more conscious who i let cook my food for me in future. 

46 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Have you been to Dr ? 

No problem,  I help vivat ruin his watch.

Lol Joe really ? I think you mean run his watch 😄

23 minutes ago, vivat said:

Yep no problems with the pallet fork now

When i turn my watch dial up, the balance starts slowing down and than stops in a few seconds. I guess it's about the coils of hairspring being to close to each other may be...

Can you guys tell me what this part for ?

IMG_20230926_082506.jpg

Coils being too close to each other would generally make the watch run faster, that situation is effectively making the hs shorter.  But gravity pulling the hs up towards the balance wheel now the movement is dial up might be making the coils touch something else. This is something you need to be looking at closely inside the movement to see what the hs is doing in different positions. Dont forget also the balance is now doing its thing on its opposite pivot and opposite jewel , and so is everything else. Inspection of all pivots and jewels is critical. The balance is regarded as the most likely suspect, the pivots of this fella in proportion to the weight they carry have more work load than any other pivot. So that top pivot of the balance staff that you are looking at on the train side ( watchmaker's side )  'give it a good seeing to ' ( I'm really not going to tell you what that means in Yorkshire, Richard knows and i know thats all that matters ). Moving swiftly on, yes look at those pivots, jewels and the hairspring for things that shouldn't be there. The part you are pointing to as far as i can tell without a closer clearer picture or without looking up the calibre is the Etachron regulator, it conveniently adjusts the spacing between the pins through which the hs passes. If i remember rightly Mike pointed out the the hs was not between those pins. Google Etachron, no here I'm being generous its here ( why the hell am i sounding like John ? Distinct lack of sleep possibly, elated lathe purchase ? Both ? i really just dont know whats going on with me ) 

Tah - dah ! Etachron 

https://calibercorner.com/etachron/

If you guys can see the wheel is bending down to one side, can you tell me how do you repair this ? 

Also this hairspring is way to the right side...

I'll try to fix it somehow and than write back. Be sure, this watch will run properly

IMG20230926185326.jpg

IMG20230926192508.jpg

IMG20230926192644.jpg

Edited by vivat