Jump to content

Eta 2846-2 not running


Recommended Posts

Hello everyone, I'm almost done with this mechanism. I'm trying to restore fathers seastar tissot. There're no official parts for it so I'm bying new and new watches and non original parts. Now after collecting all of them balance is not running.

I disassembled it, it was not glued at the tip. Glued it and barely regulated the hairspring. But it's still not running at all. 

Help me please with any advice

IMG20230924191025.jpg

IMG20230924191203.jpg

IMG20230924191318.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You say it's a 2846 but on the plate it shows 28?8.  

45 minutes ago, vivat said:

There're no official parts for it so I'm bying new and new watches and non original 

There's plenty of new parts available for these movements. Where have you looked?
For instance, Cousins have a lot of parts for 2846, as do Jules Borel

Are the top balance jewel and spring sitting properly? It's hard to see as the pic is out of focus.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Not sure if it's just the photo but the pallet fork where the impulse jewel connects looks bent. 

PS

Other than the jewels and the pivot, what is the correct nomenclature for the parts of a pallet?  Tried Google but to no avail. 

Just found the answer. 

I'm not sure about the pallet fork but it works. When I push the balance wheel it give power to the fork. But it's not running by itself

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

You say it's a 2846 but on the plate it shows 28?8.  

There's plenty of new parts available for these movements. Where have you looked?
For instance, Cousins have a lot of parts for 2846, as do Jules Borel

Are the top balance jewel and spring sitting properly? It's hard to see as the pic is out of focus.

Well i'm sure about the jewel, but this spring makes me sad. Something might be not okey with.

May be everything is because the main plate is from China, but it looks quite ok.

I tried to put balance with 28.800 amplitude it wasn't working 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

With no power on the mainspring, give the balance a good blast with a puffer and see how long it oscillates - should be over 30s

Oh okey, and if it'll be less than 30s the problem is in balance ?

1 hour ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Post a better photo of the pallet. 

Okey, tommorow I'll make better photos 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I think he means the hairspring into the stud.

I thought that as well, but i think he means this disconnection of a pallet slot jewel. Can only guess that the depth is wrong after re gluing it in.

Screenshot_20230925-082649_Samsung Internet.jpg

15 hours ago, vivat said:

I'm not sure about the pallet fork but it works. When I push the balance wheel it give power to the fork. But it's not running by itself

Hi vivat, maybe we just need to run through it again, what you have done exactly and what the problems  are. Just a side not to your post here, i hope you dont take offence, its the lever( pallet fork )  that ultimately transmits the power from the mainspring to the balance. Its the balance that regulates that power.  As its well known ' knowledge is power ' 🙂

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, vivat said:

Well i'm sure about the jewel, but this spring makes me sad. Something might be not okey with.

May be everything is because the main plate is from China, but it looks quite ok.

I tried to put balance with 28.800 amplitude it wasn't working 

Are you sure parts are interchangeable between a genuine ETA and a Chinese clone. I would look at this idea again. Parts may look ok and be similar but in reality may not be. What are you meaning by your last statement?. I do think we should start from the beginning fella. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, mikepilk said:

With no power on the mainspring, give the balance a blast with a puffer and see how long it oscillates - should be o

It's almost not moving 

6 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I thought that as well, but i think he means this disconnection of a pallet slot jewel. Can only guess that the depth is wrong after re gluing it in.

Screenshot_20230925-082649_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hi vivat, maybe we just need to run through it again, what you have done exactly and what the problems  are. Just a side not to your post here, i hope you dont take offence, its the lever( pallet fork )  that ultimately transmits the power from the mainspring to the balance. Its the balance that regulates that power.  As its well known ' knowledge is power ' 🙂

Well. That's my father's watch, it was in the table for 25 years and not long ago (about 6 months ago) i decided to change oil and clear the mechanism. First of all the problem was in the hole for the stem, it was too big, may be because of a lot stem using idk. The stem wasn't locking and always used to fall off. Than I decided to order a main plate from China, because I couldn't find any original and always bying new watches from flea markets is kinda expensive and not safe.

So here we are, now i think I just need to buy a new balance...

 

I'm a noob in watchmaking, i'm working for about 1year and 7months now. This is it, I just don't know how to fix those problems 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is the pivot bent?

image.png.1a044975af80b4016e22c84d0d1a812f.png

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Are you sure parts are interchangeable between a genuine ETA and a Chinese clone. I would look at this idea again. Parts may look ok and be similar but in reality may not be.

I'm not sure, but from what I've read, the parts are generally not interchangeable.

29 minutes ago, vivat said:

It's almost not moving 

That's a problem. Remove the pallet and see how freely the balance moves. The balance may have the wrong pivots sizes for the jewel holes, or a bent pivot.

29 minutes ago, vivat said:

Than I decided to order a main plate from China, because I couldn't find any original

Why would you change the main plate? Was there serious damage?

If this watch is of sentimental value to you, I would put it aside and get some practice on cheap movements until you are more skilled.

Edited by mikepilk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, vivat said:

It's almost not moving 

Well. That's my father's watch, it was in the table for 25 years and not long ago (about 6 months ago) i decided to change oil and clear the mechanism. First of all the problem was in the hole for the stem, it was too big, may be because of a lot stem using idk. The stem wasn't locking and always used to fall off. Than I decided to order a main plate from China, because I couldn't find any original and always bying new watches from flea markets is kinda expensive and not safe.

So here we are, now i think I just need to buy a new balance...

 

I'm a noob in watchmaking, i'm working for about 1year and 7months now. This is it, I just don't know how to fix those problems 

Ok so you need to first figure out what the problems really are. Two things to begin with, first establish that you have enough power or at least something getting from the mainspring to the lever ( pallet fork or whatever you want to call it, but the pallet fork is a  component of the lever ) the balance should be removed but the lever left in its  position. Wind some power into the watch, preferably via the stem and then watch the train of wheels especially the escape wheel . Now tell us what what you see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Is the pivot bent?

image.png.1a044975af80b4016e22c84d0d1a812f.png

I'm not sure, but from what I've read, the parts are generally not interchangeable.

That's a problem. Remove the pallet and see how freely the balance moves. The balance may have the wrong pivots sizes for the jewel holes, or a bent pivot.

Why would you change the main plate? Was there serious damage?

If this watch is of sentimental value to you, I would put it aside and get some practice on cheap movements until you are more skilled.

I can't really see any damage here

May be you can ?

IMG20230925175555.jpg

IMG20230925175545.jpg

IMG20230925175518.jpg

IMG20230925175511.jpg

IMG20230925175441.jpg

32 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ok so you need to first figure out what the problems really are. Two things to begin with, first establish that you have enough power or at least something getting from the mainspring to the lever ( pallet fork or whatever you want to call it, but the pallet fork is a  component of the lever ) the balance should be removed but the lever left in its  position. Wind some power into the watch, preferably via the stem and then watch the train of wheels especially the escape wheel . Now tell us what what you see.

I removed the fork, everything is fine. Everything work pretty good without balance 😄

1 hour ago, mikepilk said:

Is the pivot bent?

image.png.1a044975af80b4016e22c84d0d1a812f.png

I'm not sure, but from what I've read, the parts are generally not interchangeable.

That's a problem. Remove the pallet and see how freely the balance moves. The balance may have the wrong pivots sizes for the jewel holes, or a bent pivot.

Why would you change the main plate? Was there serious damage?

If this watch is of sentimental value to you, I would put it aside and get some practice on cheap movements until you are more skilled.

I changed it because the hole for stem is quite worn out and the stem isn't locking there 

this doesn't look good at all, does it ?)

IMG_20230925_181900.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, vivat said:

 I removed the fork, everything is fine. Everything work pretty good without balance 😄

So you removed the fork ( lever ) and the balance and wound the watch a little. Everything work pretty good , what did you observe happening with the train, especially the escape wheel ? Did it all unwind smoothly ? Did the escape wheel do anything you thought was unusual ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

So you removed the fork ( lever ) and the balance and wound the watch a little. Everything work pretty good , what did you observe happening with the train, especially the escape wheel ? Did it all unwind smoothly ? Did the escape wheel do anything you thought was unusual ?

Nothing special, the train and the escape wheel are just moving at the hell high speed and that it's, they are not wobbling or whatever. I think now it's all about the balance 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, vivat said:

changed it because the hole for stem is quite worn out and the stem isn't locking there 

this doesn't look good at all, does it ?)

Does this mean you took all the parts from a genuine ETA movement and fitted them onto the chinese ETA clone. Everything might be off here. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Does this mean you took all the parts from a genuine ETA movement and fitted them onto the chinese ETA clone. Everything might be off here. 

Well there is some sense in your words. Of course I'm not sure in chinese plate. But I literally have no other ideas where to buy it. Anyways almost everything works

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, vivat said:

Nothing special, the train and the escape wheel are just moving at the hell high speed and that it's, they are not wobbling or whatever. I think now it's all about the balance 

Ok thats sound fair, often the escape wheel will do a liitle reverse movement for the last couple of seconds if the train is very free running but not always, it can depend on the depth of the gearing as well. The next step would be to put the fork lever back in, if you have fiddled with the fork stones something might not be set correctly. With the fork in but no balance next put a little wind on the movement and test to see if the fork will snap from one side to the other when you gentle touch each side of it, use a tiny artists paintbrush for safety.  The escape wheel will move along one tooth at a time. If this is all good then the balance can be checked through as you are being shown by Mike.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

No it doesn't. The coils should be evenly spaced, not bunched up, and the terminal curve is not between the curb pins (yellow circle)

 

image.png.b54a0a8691b5153c56bc3bcba31f6989.png

My bad I should have noticed that terminal curve is not in place, now i can say that balance is moving for 19 seconds. It lost almost his speed at 8 second of running after a blew there with air

6 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ok thats sound fair, often the escape wheel will do a liitle reverse movement for the last couple of seconds if the train is very free running but not always, it can depend on the depth of the gearing as well. The next step would be to put the fork lever back in, if you have fiddled with the fork stones something might not be set correctly. With the fork in but no balance next put a little wind on the movement and test to see if the fork will snap from one side to the other when you gentle touch each side of it, use a tiny artists paintbrush for safety. 

Everything is good, the fork is touching the wheel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, vivat said:

My bad I should have noticed that terminal curve is not in place, now i can say that balance is moving for 19 seconds. It lost almost his speed at 8 second of running after a blew there with air

 

5 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ok thats sound fair, often the escape wheel will do a liitle reverse movement for the last couple of seconds if the train is very free running but not always, it can depend on the depth of the gearing as well. The next step would be to put the fork lever back in, if you have fiddled with the fork stones something might not be set correctly. With the fork in but no balance next put a little wind on the movement and test to see if the fork will snap from one side to the other when you gentle touch each side of it, use a tiny artists paintbrush for safety.  The escape wheel will move along one tooth at a time. If this is all good then the balance can be checked through as you are being shown by Mike.

Haha poor lad , hes getting it from both sides, me the pallet fork , mike the balance. Feel free to join in Rich , 3 of us can cause even more confusion 🤣

5 minutes ago, vivat said:

My bad I should have noticed that terminal curve is not in place, now i can say that balance is moving for 19 seconds. It lost almost his speed at 8 second of running after a blew there with air

Everything is good, the fork is touching the wheel

And its snapping nicely from side to side when you touch it ? You definitely have an issue with the hairspring but its good to check the other side of the escapement as well. We all do things differently,  i consider the train side of the escapement a little easier to check. Mainly as its the start of the assembly and checking as you go. The balance and escape problems can be multiple and a bugger to find if they aren't glaringly obvious. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

 

Haha poor lad , hes getting it from both sides, me the pallet fork , mike the balance. Feel free to join in Rich , 3 of us can cause even more confusion 🤣

Ahhaha really I'm so bored with this watch, this eta 2846 is a piece of scum

Yoy men this sht is moving! I can't believe it. I'll check the accuracy of moving and text back

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Hi Fernando, read carefully what @eccentric59 wrote, it is the key to You problem. Lubricate the cannon pinion. Take care to understand what is it's function. When You set time, the train doesn't move, but only the cannon pinion moves. Put hte lever back in it's place, it has nothing to do with time setting
    • Hi fernando. Let us know how you get on.
    • OK, in You case You will assemble the movement with the line attached to the barrel and fusee and will  wind the line  entirely on the barrel after that. It is important when replacing the line to know the correct lenght of the line. The rule is that when line wound on the fudsee entirely, about 1/4 turn still to remain on the barrel. Yes, no tension. The ratchet is not placed yet, the spring in the barrel is complitelly unwound. At the end of the step the fusee is empty and the line is attached to it and strained perpendiculary to it, not on tangent. The escape wheel. Use whatever that will not damage anything. Yes, this is typing mistake, sorry. The word 'pendulum' here is not correct, You should use 'anchor' and yes, it is removed from the movement at this point, according my instruction 1 (Ihave used the word 'lever' there):   Ok, let sey the barrel arbour makes 6 full turns when winding the spring in the barrel from unwound to fully wound state of the spring. Let sey that the barrel makes 4.5 full turns when winding the clock from fully unwound (the line is on the barrel) to fully wound (the line is on the fusee) state. This means that You should not wind the spring in the barlel when adjusting the initial tension to more than 1.5 turns of the arbour of the barrel.  If You make 2 full turns, then when winding the clock, the barrel will be able to turn to only 4 turns, so the limiting device will not limit the rotation of the fusee arbour and You will be able to force the line much more than when the limiting device acts, also the power reserve will be less. Hope this is clear now... Yes, but again - not the pendulum, but the anchour.   About the loosing time... In this kind of escapement, the frequency pritty much depends on the torque. The higher torque - the highrer frequency. This is because this escapement forces the pendulum to oscillate significantly faster than it's own resonant fequency. The frequency depends on the 'depth' of the escapement too - the deeper escapement is, the lower the frequency, and the higher amplitude of pendulum oscillations. The heavier the pendulum is, the harder to the movement (the escapement torque) to force the pendulum to oscillate faster than it's own frequency. And in the end, the own pendulum frequency depends only on the pendulum lenght and a little on the suspension spring 'strenght' This are all the relations between all the factors. You can try to use the old spring (if it is not broken) and see if the clock will work faster with it. Yes, the old springs of fusee clocks sometimes give bigger torque than modern ones, no matter if they seem to be 'set' You can shorten the pendulum to achieve correct frequency. If the torque is reduced, but enough for the movement to work reliably,  then reduced torque will only lead to lessen the wear. The torque in fusee movements is more or less constant all the time, this is the function of the fusee. You can use the Clock Tuner  free app for android to adjust faster the clock rate. You will need to know the BPH of the movement, so count the teeth of the wheels and pinions and calculate the BPH
    • Hi! My bad. I meant to say that when the pallet fork is installed I cant move the wheels "using the crown in the setting position" Really in truly my number 3 was redundant and badly written (trying to explain myself went all wrong). I dismantling partially the watch (calendar, remontoir, Balance and Pallet fork). I think I would need to go that way...  Thanks for your comments...    
    • this is what happens if you don't fully do all of your research. I found the safe answer I found your exact caliber we got a mainspring number we got a price at a decent price for the original spring verified that the spring number at least on bestfit agrees with what we have so it was safe yes I did look in the GR catalog I had seen that 200 watch has a spring similar to what you perceive it should be. But to be honest I never looked at the 200 watch to see what its mainspring was. then the other amusement I went back to the bestfit online because if the 200 have the same spring I were to see that when I snipped out the image up above. Turns out they don't even show a 200 listing at all.  
×
×
  • Create New...