Eta 2846-2 not running

Balance & cock assembly must be put back on the mainplate, cock screw tightened, then a close up of the coil from balance side view, is needed to check the coil for levelness.

To adjust the coil for concentricity, you apparently ought to start at the terminal bend, the terminal curve itself needs a bit of work as it should be parrarel to all other coils .

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Balance & cock assembly must be put back on the mainplate, cock screw tightened, then a close up of the coil from balance side view, is needed to check the coil for levelness.

To adjust the coil for concentricity, you apparently ought to start at the terminal bend, the terminal curve itself needs a bit of work as it should be parrarel to all other coils .

It may just need the Etachron stud and regulator adjusting, which is shown in the Youtube I posted.

I don't think that Vivat should start fiddling with the hairspring - of if he does his chance of trashing it must be very high. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

What are you thinking needs repairing here vivat ?

First of all it seems that the wheel is goind to obe side, it's not flat as it should be. 

Than I think that the hs is going to the right side too much 

But other musters said that it could be done easier.

I'll try to do as you said tomorrow!!

Thanks to everyone!

29 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

It may just need the Etachron stud and regulator adjusting, which is shown in the Youtube I posted.

I don't think that Vivat should start fiddling with the hairspring - of if he does his chance of trashing it must be very high. 

I'll watch this video again, couldn't watch it properly at work

24 minutes ago, vivat said:

First of all it seems that the wheel is goind to obe side, it's not flat as it should be. 

Ok vivat, but the balance will not stand upright with just one of its pivots in the balance cock , like in the photo you posted, it will fall to one side.  The balance has to be in watch supported by both of its pivots .

32 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Ok vivat, but the balance will not stand upright with just one of its pivots in the balance cock , like in the photo you posted, it will fall to one side.  The balance has to be in watch supported by both of its pivots .

So you mean that it's okey ? 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, vivat said:

So you mean that it's okey ? 

I'm not saying that the balance is ok, it has to be fully visually inspected to even approach that statement.  But i am saying that the balance wheel falling to one side while only being supported by one pivot can't be used as an indication that it has a fault. Follow joe and mike's advice, the balance has many parts and they should be checked both visually out of the watch and visually in the watch while the balance rotates. 

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I'm not saying that the balance is ok, it has to be fully visually inspected to even approach that statement.  But i am saying that the balance wheel falling to one side while only being supported by one pivot can't be used as an indication that it has a fault. Follow joe and mike's advice, the balance has many parts and they should be checked both visually out of the watch and visually in the watch while the balance rotates. 

Ahh i'm sorry, lot's of problems because I simply don't understand all the terms of watchmaking industry. 

(English is not my native language)

• Like 2

Adjustments to hairspring  , terminal curve and regulator slot might be needed at every service time.

Make a habbit of making these adjustments as soon as you get to bare mainplate, instal the balance cock assembly on mainplate.

See photo, notice how accessable are most parts of the oscilator thus easy to work on.

ready-for-the-cleaner.jpg

Edited by Nucejoe
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mikepilk said:

A problem in translation ?

Do you really mean that the pallet fork (7) is not touching the impulse jewel (2) ?

image.png.d7397c4425c166da0234d0acb0ea45a2.png

Yeah I do guess so. Because the balance now is moving perfectly ( I bought a new one) but the fork is not getting any impulse from the balance. Again may be it's because the fork and the balance are not from the exact one mechanism, but  from donors. 

You must check for presence of the roller and impulse jewel on the roller. If all this looks OK and the same as on the old balance, then  may be the zero position of the balance is totally wrong. Try to use Your own eyes and head to see and understand what happens. Put on the main plate only the lever and the balance with their bridges and investigate.

Why did You gave up from the old balance? Are the pivots OK? On the pictures, the hairspring is much out of center, but it can be easily brought as should be.

22 hours ago, vivat said:

Yeah I do guess so. Because the balance now is moving perfectly ( I bought a new one) but the fork is not getting any impulse from the balance. Again may be it's because the fork and the balance are not from the exact one mechanism, but  from donors. 

We going to need to see pictures of the balance and lever from the side vivat, close up ones. Pictures will show a lot more than you are trying to explain.

• 1 month later...

Long time no see everyone! 

Nothing serious happened, but now I have a question about balance frequency. Is it all about balance ? 

For example, if I have a watch with 21.600 and than I replace the balance from watch with 28.800, will it affect on the amplitude, b.e. and accuracy? 

I'm asking because I did it ... 

Also this balance is wobbling while running, do you have any advice to fix it?

Thanks everyone!

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, vivat said:

Long time no see everyone! 

Nothing serious happened, but now I have a question about balance frequency. Is it all about balance ? 

For example, if I have a watch with 21.600 and than I replace the balance from watch with 28.800, will it affect on the amplitude, b.e. and accuracy? 

I'm asking because I did it ... 

Also this balance is wobbling while running, do you have any advice to fix it?

Thanks everyone!

Yes replace it for a balance of the correct frequency lol.  The higher frequency balance is speeding the train up by 25 %. Do you know What's causing the balance to wobble ? It might be defective pivots or the wheel might be bent, two different kinds of wobbling that look similar at first glance. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches