Well here a new one on me. After removing the movement from the cleaning machine and upon removing the Balance the Hairspring fell off of the Balance staff pivot, never had this happen before, just my luck or lack of it. Anyways like to hear how I could tighten this up and have try tweezers but not going to work also have try some small needle nose piles but this is scary. 

2020_0509_065807_009.JPG

You need to use a tapered punch. But it has to be just the right size, if it's too wide it will push down on the spring.  

Are you sure it's the correct spring? I just got a watch with the wrong hairspring - the collet was way too big and fixed with shellac !

1.thumb.jpg.bd987a0f331e792460090e4866d9ecf0.jpg

• Like 1

Well yes it's what came with the watch and dose look like the one that is of same movement as another watch I have which is the same movement (Seiko 6309 A) I guess I have been putting off getting a Staking set too long. I can get a Balance complete but hate to spend that much cash on a 40 year old watch that I only pay $38 knowing I would never make any money if I sold it, in fact would loose money if I did. Oh well that's the way the game goes'.

7 hours ago, pent said:

Or, if you are due for a new tool, how about a collet closing tool?  https://www.esslinger.com/bergeon-3007-swiss-tool-for-collet-closing-tightening-and-reaming/  It's on my wish list although luckily I really haven't needed it yet

it actually is a really useful tool.  then we just talked about at the other day it's been cloned

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I ordered it from Ofrei. Should arrive early next week

Need review when you get it!  Did you buy clone or Berg?  In regards to this collet repair, I would think this is the most "proper" way to fix the spring.  Of course, with the standard disclaimer that whatever yields the intended result without damage is "proper" enough 🙂

Edited by pent

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

It is the "proper" way with least risk. But as a home fiddler, I probably only need to close collets maybe once a year. So I'll stick to the concave punch, and save my money for more useful things (e.g wine an whisky 🤣)

There's more than one way to succeed in watchmaking in my opinion, and as a hobbyist there's LOTS of tools we don't need when there's other solutions to be found.  Personally, I'm a tool junkie so I'm quite biased, but I do agree on wine and whiskey.  Let us know how the repair goes since I haven't tried something like this with a staking set.

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

It is the "proper" way with least risk. But as a home fiddler, I probably only need to close collets maybe once a year. So I'll stick to the concave punch, and save my money for more useful things (e.g wine an whisky 🤣)

I agree.  But I have more money than good sense.  In my current situation, I have a watch where there are few donors and I have to fix this thing.  I am afraid to punch away at this hairspring since I have no backup.  So, I shell out the cash.

...and I am a tool junkie, and this stuff seems to never lose value...or much value

• Like 1

There no doubt that Watchmakers are tool junkie but I think you have to ask your self is this just a hobby or are you taking this to next level and that is making money off of it. I just brought a crystal press just to complete one watch I have, never before did I need this in almost 4 years in this hobby. So yes we are tool junkie and if your going to fix it right then you will have to spend the money for the tools that are needed.

• Like 1

as you're finding out there's an unfortunate problem in watch repair. When you start off you just need a few tools to get started and your fine but as time goes on you discovered that watch repair can be extremely tool intensive. Realistically reach a point in time where you grasp that you will never have enough money to have all the tools you conceivably need. then yes having the specialty tools that you only use once pay or occasionally if it makes life enjoyable and pleasant justifies its existence.

Oh and in case you like looking at tools there's a catalog down below

https://archive.org/details/20thcenturycatal00purd

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

as you're finding out there's an unfortunate problem in watch repair. When you start off you just need a few tools to get started and your fine but as time goes on you discovered that watch repair can be extremely tool intensive. Realistically reach a point in time where you grasp that you will never have enough money to have all the tools you conceivably need. then yes having the specialty tools that you only use once pay or occasionally if it makes life enjoyable and pleasant justifies its existence.

Oh and in case you like looking at tools there's a catalog down below

https://archive.org/details/20thcenturycatal00purd

I love these catalogs