Another mystery tool of the day chaps. This design is 120 years old, no idea how old this one is that i have. Had it for ages and almost binned it as it doesn't look like much. Then someone posted on another site they had one along with an advert for it. Its open to anyone, tbh i think only the pros will guess it. Only clue i can give is that it used in conjunction with another tool that only the pros will use, although its condition is also a clue. This has to be the most difficult yet. Oh dear i seem to have inadvertently masked out the patent on it, thats a bugger.

20231210_171417.jpg

1702229321991275170781294085666.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Another mystery tool of the day chaps. This design is 120 years old, no idea how old this one is that i have. Had it for ages and almost binned it as it doesn't look like much. Then someone posted on another site they had one along with an advert for it. It’s open to anyone, tbh i think only the pros will guess it. Only clue i can give is that it used in conjunction with another tool that only the pros will use, although its condition is also a clue. This has to be the most difficult yet. Oh dear i seem to have inadvertently masked out the patent on it, thats a bugger.

Setting pallet jewels maybe?

Tom

55 minutes ago, Marc said:

At a guess I'd say it was for making very fine adjustments to the regulator.

No not to the regulator, Tom was on the right track, its used with this, which I think you will know.

20231109_102300.jpg

1 minute ago, VWatchie said:

I've been looking for a tool like that forever. I don't think there is one. Or?

First one I've seen and I'm a total tool junky. 

Bit of scale added, oh no tweezers fell and obscured that patent again

20231210_212932.jpg

On 12/10/2023 at 8:58 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

No not to the regulator, Tom was on the right track, its used with this, which I think you will know.

20231109_102300.jpg

First one I've seen and I'm a total tool junky. 

Bit of scale added, oh no tweezers fell and obscured that patent again

20231210_212932.jpg

Did you all give up ?

On 12/13/2023 at 6:47 AM, Waggy said:

Is it for aligning the impulse jewel on the balance rollers to get it in line with the center line of the pallet fork?

On 12/13/2023 at 6:47 AM, Waggy said:

Is it for aligning the impulse jewel on the balance rollers to get it in line with the center line of the pallet fork?

No not the impulse jewel, Tom was right with setting up the pallet jewels but in a way i haven't seen before. Here is the advert for it from 120 years ago.

Screenshot_20231208-194239_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20231208-194246_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

No not the impulse jewel

I wonder how many types of tool are out there... probably the number to types of tools outnumbers the number of watches out there. Especially with people like us making their own tools on a daily basis 😆

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Waggy said:

I wonder how many types of tool are out there... probably the number to types of tools outnumbers the number of watches out there. Especially with people like us making their own tools on a daily basis 😆

Its amazing the amount of ideas that pop into your head when looking for a solution. Make this make that, my favourite by far is a micro dimond file from a nine quid dimond plate, i think i could make a hundred from one plate.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Zero said:

@Neverenoughwatches, from the news article the complete set is $3+$2.25 = $5.25 in 1905.

Adjusted for inflation, that is around USD 183.18 or GBP 144.69 today. Watchmaker tools cost an arm even back then.

I wonder what "order from your jobber" means?

The patent was issued 1905, the advert i guess a little later. Actually for the depthing tool sounds quite reasonable but for the pallet setter which costs more seems a lot. Maybe its a piece of amazing innovation, I'll let you know when i try it.

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Lol i got that far, what do hole do they ream that is 4mm ?

They dont look accurate, so i would guess something on the case, stem tube opening

2 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Part of the case, not movement. 

Haha i also got that far.