Jump to content

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha you did not see the Pinocchio then. I hope your driving 🚘 is not the same manner.

Lol thats fighting talk, i have some pretty obscure tools, some i dont even know what they are.

Pinocchio? What Pinocchio? Where...who said anything about Pinocchio? (Ignores the driving comment, as mainly she gets a ride, but drives just great)

And let's not fight, I acknowledge your superiority in most every watch-related way 💋

Surely you do have bigger tools and all that, probably you have even power tools. I was referring only to the ones they said to have in up to lesson 1.6. I have all of those. I have many more.

I mostly have ones not even mentioned in my class yet, hence, I know not what they even are. I am particularly curious about all the little biting ones housed in wooden cases. I thought that I would see if I learned about them in classes, but am still on 1.6. I am also cu...well, I am curious about all of my tools; enticement to learn more. Rapidly. Just sayin'.

Edited by Galilea
spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Galilea said:

Pinocchio? What Pinocchio? Where...who said anything about Pinocchio? (Ignores the driving comment, as mainly she gets a ride, but drives just great)

And let's not fight, I acknowledge your superiority in most every watch-related way 💋

Surely you do have bigger tools and all that, probably you have even power tools. I was referring only to the ones they said to have in up to lesson 1.6. I have all of those. I have many more.

I mostly have ones not even mentioned in my class yet, hence, I know not what they even are. I am particularly curious about all the little biting ones housed in wooden cases. I thought that I would see if I learned about them in classes, but am still on 1.6. I am also cu...well, I am curious about all of my tools; enticement to learn more. Rapidly. Just sayin'.

Never mind Pinocchio, hes just a puppet who's nose grows when he tells fibs 😄.  Yep my tool geekyness knows no bounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eyup watch peeps. Another mystery tool for you. I'm sure its homemade and i had no idea what it was, so it was stored away ( never throw anything away no matter how obscure it may seem. I actually found an almost identical version of it also watchmaker made in watch repair book by a famous watchmaker. I've never seen a commercial made one. The lever at the side releases tension on the spring so that it comes away from the main body of the tool its also for more than a beginners use. Those are the only clues you are getting. It could have a few uses i suppose but I'm specifically looking for this watchmakers description. This is more difficult than the last one. 

1690638411366743338609089783370.jpg

16906384373358080507085551413765.jpg

16906384527559134242692760573557.jpg

16906384880856987475068157450797.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Eyup watch peeps. Another mystery tool for you. I'm sure its homemade and i had no idea what it was, so it was stored away ( never throw anything away no matter how obscure it may seem. I actually found an almost identical version of it also watchmaker made in watch repair book by a famous watchmaker. I've never seen a commercial made one. The lever at the side releases tension on the spring so that it comes away from the main body of the tool its also for more than a beginners use. Those are the only clues you are getting. It could have a few uses i suppose but I'm specifically looking for this watchmakers description. This is more difficult than the last one. 

1690638411366743338609089783370.jpg

16906384373358080507085551413765.jpg

16906384527559134242692760573557.jpg

16906384880856987475068157450797.jpg

Not a stud table?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Whats a stud table ?

English to english translation of the verb to stud. What Freid would call a studding table. That which holds the stud while it is pinned

Edited by rehajm
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, rehajm said:

English to english translation of the verb to stud. What Freid would call a studding table. That which holds the stud while it is pinned

Yes mate, i was messin with ya. Its a studding table ( sounds like something from a porn movie 😄 ) . From Fried book of bench practices, well spotted and remembered 👏

16906419663541590087136486905954.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Yes mate, i was messin with ya. Its a studding table ( sounds like something from a porn movie 😄 ) . From Fried book of bench practices, well spotted and remembered 👏

16906419663541590087136486905954.jpg

Thank you, I enjoy playing the fool...have you used it? I have one of those round ones. It does not offer the freedom of movement for tweezers as this one might...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, rehajm said:

Thank you, I enjoy playing the fool...have you used it? I have one of those round ones. It does not offer the freedom of movement for tweezers as this one might...

Not yet, i dug it out today as i have a hairspring to time and re pin, then i remembered the movement doesn't have a stud, it pins directly to the regulator arm. Fun times ahead this evening 🤦‍♂️

17 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Not yet, i dug it out today as i have a hairspring to time and re pin, then i remembered the movement doesn't have a stud, it pins directly to the regulator arm. Fun times ahead this evening 

Hairspring vibrator on its maiden voyage ( with me aboard ) 🙂

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, rehajm said:

I actually used it to moderate success once

I found if you don't actually follow the directions it worked just fine for me. In other words I wasn't concerned about the spring thing and just eyeball that. Which I did find interesting because I didn't think it was going to work. So yes it is a interesting tool.

Yes I know no guessing from the pros maybe it's used to keep track of things? In other words maybe you insert or put things on the little circles and that allows you to keep track of things. Well maybe or maybe it has some other interesting use  that I was rather surprised it did work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

I found if you don't actually follow the directions it worked just fine for me. In other words I wasn't concerned about the spring thing and just eyeball that. Which I did find interesting because I didn't think it was going to work. So yes it is a interesting tool.

Yes I know no guessing from the pros maybe it's used to keep track of things? In other words maybe you insert or put things on the little circles and that allows you to keep track of things. Well maybe or maybe it has some other interesting use  that I was rather surprised it did work.

I'm pleased you've tried one John and yes they should work , they're very expensive for a small tool.  My wolf lathe was almost half the average price of one of these, i will be disappointed if it doesn't work. 

2 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I can only think that a pivot goes in the holes and the spring holds it down but what good that is, I don't know. 

You're on the right track Rich, but no the spring doesn't hold anything down. That part is sort of a register arm sort of , a bit like on truing calipers.  🤔 now theres an interesting word  " truing "  🙂

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

My wolf lathe was almost half the average price of one of these, i will be disappointed if it doesn't work. 

We'll have to find out where you purchase tools from and I'll have to look on eBay when I have time I thought this thing was around $100? That would make your lathe about $50 if I'm reading correctly that be a good price.

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

That part is sort of a register arm sort of

I believe as I said I didn't even worry about that part and is maybe it was a misinterpretation of whatever I thought its purpose was so basically I just did the other thing with whatever it was I was doing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

We'll have to find out where you purchase tools from and I'll have to look on eBay when I have time I thought this thing was around $100? That would make your lathe about $50 if I'm reading correctly that be a good price.

I believe as I said I didn't even worry about that part and is maybe it was a misinterpretation of whatever I thought its purpose was so basically I just did the other thing with whatever it was I was doing.

 

I doesn't look as though anyone is going to guess. Richard was pretty close, but we know its for straightening out a bent pivot. The staff pivot is placed in a jewel hole that will accept it and turned. The spring held arm is just to stabilize the balance using it as a rest. The balance is then placed in progressively smaller holes until the pivot runs true. They also make use as good pivot gauge. Actually i did pay a little over 100, from a good seller i use frequently but they generally come up at around 300 My lathe was also a bargain at 180.  

Screenshot_20230914-213837_eBay.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How much are you joking you must be joking? You're getting really good at editing those photos aren't you. Oh and that one looks like a vintage one the newer ones come and that nifty yellow box and the spring thing is black which as I said the last time I used it I just moved it off to the side and eyeballed what I was doing which worked out much better as I just wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to be doing with the spring thing. Which I guess works out good for me because I have one of those that came without the spring thing except I believe I got it for free in a bunch of other stuff probably nobody knew what it was.

Looks like you're not joking and ears is definitely the old-fashioned type as it's been upgraded and not to say improved and it is an upgraded price.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/balance-staff-pivot-straightening-tool

Okay quick look at eBay reveals that I should've invested in tools a long time ago. Looks like 175 was the best price but if you could get this for a reasonable price it's included

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166326211859

Definitely expensive but when I'm comes with a box of the instructions

image.thumb.png.4c7509c7369fda01dc94e175440cd0c8.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, RichardHarris123 said:

Wouldn't a staking block do the same thing?

We really need the instructions for which that is not. As you can see it's a disk with a whole bunch a really precise holes and he starred in a really big hole and work your way to the smaller hole gradually straightening the balance pivot and. It's probably actually easier to do that is for me to try to describe it. Then the spring the thing is a gauge so we can see what you're doing but I found was doing my pocket watch pivot I just didn't worry about the gauge at all I just eyeballed it and it worked fine.

They also make a really heavy tweezers that you can warm up in the warming up this critical and you can use that to bend the pivots. When I was in school the tweezers the instructor had had pieces of wood taped onto the handle C wouldn't burn yourself it's not heated up to red hot it's just heated up to be hot and then you can grab the pivots and gently bend it or use this tool when it's cold and it also seems to work

or you can grab it with some other method and probably break the pivot off unless you're really lucky. Although by far the best to view just replace the balance staff.

image.png.de03645a3c0486ec0ca7be7b6cc08c07.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

You have some good tools rehajm, guesses only please 🙂

I got one big box full of lucky but outside the basics the rest are kind of clinkers.….and I know I’m not competing with the likes of you and others on quantity 😂

4 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

That part is sort of a register arm sort of , a bit like on truing calipers

I copied a picture from Seitz or somewhere and used it on the topside of the wheel to stop it from tipping over. Not to add pressure but to act like a third hand and keep things tidy…

…and I say somewhat as I straightened the end of a sub seconds - those things are long…

295gbp? I’l part with mine for 250!! I didn’t pay much more for my whole Seitz box!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...