When a watch part pings... finding lost watch parts.

Please forgive if this has been posted...

I made this "watch parts finder" by using double sided sticky tape to attach some neodymium magnets to a piece of wood.

Within minutes i had found a click spring that my wife and i had spent an hour searching for. I also found 2 screws, one recently lost and one lost a month ago. These parts were on the carpet (i know, not ideal for watchmaking). I had literally been on my hands and knees with a flashlight searching every inch of the area, and never found these until i used my new invention.

As the Army taught me many years ago... "the proper tool for the proper job."

9E629F0F-BAE0-41F3-BBE4-29EE5AAC9CA8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ed982828a1c5c9ed01553946cd6e0800.jpeg7A17D6A5-A3D9-4332-BC42-A8A6FD6A42E6_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7e01040bd9dc80c63317e413ae53b668.jpeg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, signcarver said:

I made this "watch parts finder" by using double sided sticky tape to attach some neodymium magnets to a piece of wood.

Within minutes i had found a click spring that my wife and i had spent an hour searching for. I also found 2 screws, one recently lost and one lost a month ago. These parts were on the carpet (i know, not ideal for watchmaking). I had literally been on my hands and knees with a flashlight searching every inch of the area, and never found these until i used my new invention.

9E629F0F-BAE0-41F3-BBE4-29EE5AAC9CA8_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.ed982828a1c5c9ed01553946cd6e0800.jpeg7A17D6A5-A3D9-4332-BC42-A8A6FD6A42E6_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7e01040bd9dc80c63317e413ae53b668.jpeg

👍 now you just need to make a jewel magnet. I'll be the first to buy one from you 😆

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:
6 hours ago, signcarver said:

Expand  

👍 now you just need to make a jewel magnet

Visa and MasterCard make those, they seem to collect jewels for Mrs W without any problems 😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Really? The army taught me... do/use anything you want... as long as nobody finds out. 🤣

I think the Army may have changed their policies once they became all volunteer... 😄

7 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Yep, that should do the trick! A bit pricey though... 🤑

12 hours ago, signcarver said:

@Neverenoughwatches Well, since rubies (synthetic and real) fluoresce under a black light, maybe turn out all the lights, and break out your black light (and maybe some gummies)... 😎

I bought a UV torch and used it to find a tiny cap jewel. It does work !

I first search for parts with a torch, then magnet. If no luck, I clean the dust chamber on the Dyson, set it to max, and vac everything and everywhere. I empty the bin contents on to a sheet of white paper, and use the magnet.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, signcarver said:

@Neverenoughwatches Probably should keep our fingers from between them. 😬

Haha otherwise you wont have any. I watched a video once of a guy that caught a fishing magnet this size from a river with his own fishing magnet of the same size. He posted another video two months later, he hadn't managed to seperate them 😅

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

When you get one, let me know. I'll tell you when to hold yours up and I'll let mine go, then brace yourself for impact 😆

20230725_170754.jpg

20230725_170718.jpg

Ha ha that would pull the nails out of the floorboards

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Waggy said:

🤔 funny you should mention that I've noticed some squeaking underfoot in the old watchroom 😆

11 minutes ago, Waggy said:

Problem with something like this while searching, the lost parts hit hard magnetic steel at mach3 . If they are still in one piece they are permanently magnetised 🙃

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

When you get one, let me know. I'll tell you when to hold yours up and I'll let mine go, then brace yourself for impact 😆

20230725_170754.jpg

20230725_170718.jpg

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

🤔 funny you should mention that I've noticed some squeaking underfoot in the old watchroom 😆

Problem with something like this while searching, the lost parts hit hard magnetic steel at mach3 . If they are still in one piece they are permanently magnetised 🙃

Dammit Jim! Won't my demagnitizer fix it?

On 7/25/2023 at 2:19 PM, rossjackson01 said:

Neverenoughwatches and mikepilk

Thank you for the information about the UV torch. Ordered one.

Torch came today. Brilliant. Shows up jewels bright pink. Very impressed. Not that I've lost any, but at least I'm prepared. Thank you.

• Like 2

I got a 12" wide magnet with telescoping handle at the local hardware store.  It is meant for picking up nuts, bolts, washers, and other hardware.  Works great on finding steel watch parts.  I don't even need to get down on my hands and knees.  Just telescope out the handle and sweep the floor with the magnetic head.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Anvil-Telescopic-Magnetic-Pick-Up-Tool-95212/300998736

b229dd81-ea69-4954-86ca-d52cff5ad7ad_400.jpg

Edited by gpraceman
  • Like 2

Looks like someone else has covered this, I add a twist. I have my giant magnet on a 30" rope, and hover/swing it all over. Also, I run it over any piles I sweep up and if necessary, the contents of a vac bag. Bonus - it finds the car keys with ease.

20230730_003112.jpg

On 7/24/2023 at 3:56 PM, Neverenoughwatches said:

👍 now you just need to make a jewel magnet. I'll be the first to buy one from you 😆

The have those, we are called females.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Galilea said:

Looks like someone else has covered this, I add a twist. I have my giant magnet on a 30" rope, and hover/swing it all over. Also, I run it over any piles I sweep up and if necessary, the contents of a vac bag. Bonus - it finds the car keys with ease.

20230730_003112.jpg

The have those, we are called females.

I also have a big one 😆

20230725_170754.jpg

4 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I also have a big one 😆

20230725_170754.jpg

My goodness, you do have a large one! 😮 The bigger, the better, that's my opinion.  That's a robust handle as well, mine just has a hole (refer back to my pic).

• Haha 2