Interested in watch collecting and some minor repairs

Hi everyone,

I've been collecting watches since around 2015, but most of these are nothing to speak about with the exception of my late father's 60s Omega (no model on the dial as from new, with a 610 movement). I'm here as I'm looking to learn more and get some advice about a watch needing repair.

I'm based in Scotland.

It's nice to meet you all.

🙂

Hello David and welcome.

You don't say what you would like to do. Get someone to service the watch? To service it yourself? How do you know it's a 610 movement? Have you opened the back? What is your level of competence?

There are many members who have a great deal of experience, far more than me, who will be able to advise. They are world wide, although some of us are in Scotland.

As Richard says. Any chance of photographs?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2023 at 9:40 PM, RichardHarris123 said:

Hello and welcome from England. 

We love photos on here, let's see your watches. 

Hi Richard,

Thank you, I'll take some photos and share. I'd say the only thing that's noteworthy is the Omega, but also I have a couple of project seikos too which I hope to repair by replacing the movements. :)

On 7/22/2023 at 10:20 PM, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

Hi Old hippy, it's good to meet you! I've been interested in watches for a while. I don't have a lot of experience in proper watch repair but hoping to learn more and I have a couple of old seikos I'd like to replace the movements in. The most I've done is replace a movement and circuit board in a tag heuer professional for a friend.

On 7/22/2023 at 10:59 PM, Nucejoe said:

Welcome .

Hello Nucejoe. 🙂

On 7/22/2023 at 11:22 PM, rossjackson01 said:

Hello David and welcome.

You don't say what you would like to do. Get someone to service the watch? To service it yourself? How do you know it's a 610 movement? Have you opened the back? What is your level of competence?

There are many members who have a great deal of experience, far more than me, who will be able to advise. They are world wide, although some of us are in Scotland.

As Richard says. Any chance of photographs?

Hi Ross Jackson, it's good to meet you.

Although the Omega does require service, it's probably something I won't be sorting out any time soon and it's not really a watch I would wear regularly. I do have some minor watch repair experience, but this has been as a "parts fitter" rather than any genuine repair. This has included replacing an ETA 955.112 on a tag heuer, then replacing its circuit board on the new movement was faulty. I've done some minor work to the omega which included replacing the crystal as it was cracked, replacing the crown for an official omega one as it had a non-oem one fitted, replacing the strap for one in the correct style (not a genuine omega one), and fitting a genuine omega gold plated buckle (there was also a solid gold version but went for the gold plated one as I was a student at the time).

I know it's a 610 just from opening it as I wanted to find out more about it.

I think realistically I wouldn't be confident in attempting any service to this watch due to its sentimental value.

I do have a few project seikos I would like to repair. These were given to me recently in a huge box of old seikos as my friend asked if I can fit a movement to one of the 7002-700As then I could keep the rest. Most were not of any interest to me (many were gold plated style quartz seikos which I wouldn't use and didn't love so couldn't see me spending the time to replace movements/repair etc). The box was overwhelming to say the least so I've kept a hold of:

3x Seiko 7002-700As (I'd say there's potential to make 2 functioning ones, and the 3rd one is really just a case, bezel and faulty movement. There's only 2 dials/hand sets.
1x Seiko quartz diver style watch (need to double-check the model).

I'll be able to get some photographs of the omega and others so will put them up shortly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidm213 said:

Hi Richard,

Thank you, I'll take some photos and share. I'd say the only thing that's noteworthy is the Omega, but also I have a couple of project seikos too which I hope to repair by replacing the movements. 🙂

Hi Old hippy, it's good to meet you! I've been interested in watches for a while. I don't have a lot of experience in proper watch repair but hoping to learn more and I have a couple of old seikos I'd like to replace the movements in. The most I've done is replace a movement and circuit board in a tag heuer professional for a friend.

Hello Nucejoe. 🙂

Hi Ross Jackson, it's good to meet you.

Although the Omega does require service, it's probably something I won't be sorting out any time soon and it's not really a watch I would wear regularly. I do have some minor watch repair experience, but this has been as a "parts fitter" rather than any genuine repair. This has included replacing an ETA 955.112 on a tag heuer, then replacing its circuit board on the new movement was faulty. I've done some minor work to the omega which included replacing the crystal as it was cracked, replacing the crown for an official omega one as it had a non-oem one fitted, replacing the strap for one in the correct style (not a genuine omega one), and fitting a genuine omega gold plated buckle (there was also a solid gold version but went for the gold plated one as I was a student at the time).

I know it's a 610 just from opening it as I wanted to find out more about it.

I think realistically I wouldn't be confident in attempting any service to this watch due to its sentimental value.

I do have a few project seikos I would like to repair. These were given to me recently in a huge box of old seikos as my friend asked if I can fit a movement to one of the 7002-700As then I could keep the rest. Most were not of any interest to me (many were gold plated style quartz seikos which I wouldn't use and didn't love so couldn't see me spending the time to replace movements/repair etc). The box was overwhelming to say the least so I've kept a hold of:

3x Seiko 7002-700As (I'd say there's potential to make 2 functioning ones, and the 3rd one is really just a case, bezel and faulty movement. There's only 2 dials/hand sets.
1x Seiko quartz diver style watch (need to double-check the model).

I'll be able to get some photographs of the omega and others so will put them up shortly.

Welcome David, you have made a start so the ball is now rolling. A service or two will have you wanting more. Enjoyable hobby but can need you having deep pockets when you get serious. You will soon find your own level that you are comfortable with, try to take things one step at at a time and buy as you need. Jumping too deep too quickly soon relinquishes your savings.  🙂

8 hours ago, davidm213 said:

Outstanding you've learned something that a lot of people in the group don't learn until after disaster strikes. Because the cost of Omega parts is best to wait until you're much better at watch repair before you think about working on it.

Oh and here's some information on your movement

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_610

huge box of old seikos

Huge box implies how many quantity wise?

Most were not of any interest to me (many were gold plated style quartz seikos which I wouldn't use and didn't love so couldn't see me spending the time to replace movements/repair etc). The box was overwhelming to say the least so I've kept a hold of:

I think you'll find that quite a few people on this group would be very happy to get a box of Seiko watches. Then for repairs typically don't do movement swaps you can with some of them. But typically can only swap with what's in there. Because Seiko's can be considered collectors items even the quartz ones the box isn't necessarily worthless.