What is this thing - hybrid mechanical/electrical movement?

Picked up a pair of watches (both the same) and just had a look inside and had to do a double take..... what on earth are these??

They are Sovereign "ELECTRONIC", here is the front

signal-2023-07-17-172148_002.thumb.jpeg.df4666bc6d2d554837c14f5553456177.jpeg

Here is the inside:

signal-2023-07-17-172202_002.thumb.jpeg.5117e965b9939277da5536d199c51ade.jpeg

I think the balance has a lug on it which is in close proximity to another lug... I'm thinking that the lug on the outside (see below) magnetically attracts the balance causing it to osculate and drive the mechanical element of the movement? Can anyone confirm this? Also, has anyone worked on this type of watch before, if so any hits/tips/gotcha's?

signal-2023-07-17-172202_002a.thumb.jpeg.f0dcb975dffc69901cad1f0375dd0bd8.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Waggy said:

Picked up a pair of watches (both the same) and just had a look inside and had to do a double take..... what on earth are these??

They are Sovereign "ELECTRONIC", here is the front

signal-2023-07-17-172148_002.thumb.jpeg.df4666bc6d2d554837c14f5553456177.jpeg

Here is the inside:

signal-2023-07-17-172202_002.thumb.jpeg.5117e965b9939277da5536d199c51ade.jpeg

I think the balance has a lug on it which is in close proximity to another lug... I'm thinking that the lug on the outside (see below) magnetically attracts the balance causing it to osculate and drive the mechanical element of the movement? Can anyone confirm this? Also, has anyone worked on this type of watch before, if so any hits/tips/gotcha's?

signal-2023-07-17-172202_002a.thumb.jpeg.f0dcb975dffc69901cad1f0375dd0bd8.jpeg

Electronic watch. Battery powered oscillator. Common ones are made by Timex and Benrus. If memory serves HectorLooi has worked on them. 

• Like 1

I've worked on a few electromechanical Timexes and have a Benrus in my "To do" pile. But I have never seen this movement before.

Still looking out for the grand daddy of all electric watches, the Hamilton Electric and maybe snag a Seiko or Citizen electric if it comes along the way.

I also have a very nice Kienzle electromechanical clock. I have also been toying with the idea of building a 1 second period, temperature compensated, long pendulum electromechanical clock. 

The Benrus/Belforte/Sovereign versions of those watches usually use the LIP movement R148, so some of the service info that is available is written in French...But I think I have English manuals from Benrus that I could upload if they aren't readily available online. 

5 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

But I have never seen this movement before.

Interesting? It actually seems to be a relatively common Electric movement as it was very inexpensive when it came out. Of course the problem with electric wristwatches is you never quite know what's inside Until you open the case up. Although quite a few of these came with transparent backs where you can see the movement

1 hour ago, Geotex said:

LIP movement R148

Yes that's definitely what it looks like.

6 hours ago, Waggy said:

has anyone worked on this type of watch before, if so any hits/tips/gotcha's?

Fortunately somebody already partially answer the question I would get a service manual if you've never done one of these before. Too many mysteries if you're not familiar with what you're looking at

1 hour ago, Geotex said:

so some of the service info that is available is written in French...But I think I have English manuals from Benrus that I could upload if they aren't readily available online. 

While I'm sure somewhere around here I have a physical manual if you have a PDF yes it be nice if you uploaded it.

5 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Still looking out for the grand daddy of all electric watches, the Hamilton Electric and maybe snag a Seiko or Citizen electric if it comes along the way.

Why limit yourself to the Hamilton? For instance on this website look at the movement gallery look at all those electric watches you could try to acquire.

https://electric-watches.co.uk/movement-gallery/

Edited by JohnR725
  • Like 1