Advice about winding a Smith Enfield clock that has wound down

Kate

Hi everyone, I am looking after a house with a Smith Enfield Grandmother clock. It unfortunately wound down before I could find the key. I then wound it up and changed the clock hands to the correct time but it will not tick. What must I do further? 

Hello Kate. Hope I'm not being obvious, but did you restart the pendulum? Give it a gentle push (not too hard or you risk pushing it 'out of beat'). Have never worked on a grandmother clock but those I have seen resemble mantels in long cases. I am sure others will be along soon to help you out.

Hi Rixy, it doesn’t seem to have a pendulum, closed box in the front, just two doors at the back. I’m not really au fait with old clocks at all, and worried I have done something that will be complicated to fix. It was completely wound down and had stopped. A few hours later I wound all three with the key, then set the hands and it did not restart. So am not entirely sure if I missed a step. 

Hi Kate  Once wound up just gently tilt the clock left an right by about an inch or so and the clock should start. There is quite often no door in the front of the clock just at the back to gain access to the pendulum.  That is the method I use when mine stops. If you listen to the clock you should hear it TICK

You should never turn hands back on any clock that has a strike or chime works or both. Most likely you have jammed the works up and this will stop the clock. Make sure you have all three springs wound up. You should see at about the number 3  a small lever it should say chime or silent, move that up and down it might free up the strike and chimes, take the   minute hand from close to the center round the dial this will prevent the hand from bending or breaking off to each quarter and see if it chimes, these clocks have self righting built in, so it might miss a few quarter's to self right. After you have gone though this please let me know. 

Hi oldhippy, I tried turning the chime on and off, the minute hand was at the 9 and it chimed the four o clock hour. I then moved it to the 12 (time set to 4 o clock) and it then chimed the quarter hour chime. Seems I have made things worse, not better. 

That sounds like it will correct itself by the next hour. By the time the minute hand reaches the 6 it will chime the 3/4 and then remain silent until it arrives back at the 12. This is perfectly normal for a stopped clock. Don't panic!

• Like 1

Hi everyone, I just wanted to thank you all for your extremely helpful and non-judgemental advice for someone who has no idea about old clocks! The clock is working perfectly now, chiming correctly and keeping time. Thank you all so much for your willingness to help!